Ok question to kill time

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Dwyer was the best I remember, but Choice and PJ were up there - you can't jump and knee a guy in the face trying to tackle you and not be one of my favorites. Last time we had two good to great backs was I think Marshall and Mills, although obviously that didn't pan out like most of us had hoped. I do think we have the talent in the backfield this season that we will have as good or better than those two this season.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Well maybe 2 questions.
We look to have some very good to great running backs this year.
1) in your life time as a Tech fan who is your opinion was the best running back for Tech ?
2) when was the last year in your opinion did we have 2 very good or great running backs in the same year ?

Top 5 in my lifetime, in no particular order:

Lavette
Hollings
Dwyer
Mays
Choice

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
To take this post more seriously...

id have to say Dwyer. I was a wee lad when choice was running up and down the field so I don’t remember that much about him. But I do remember Dwyer breaking muthaeffin ankles at Sanford stadium in 08 and bashing Clemson on 09. So I’ll say Dwyer

but I’m anxious to see Gibbs this year

LETS GO BABY. FOOTBALL IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS. THWG

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Top 5:

Lavette
ELI
Burns
Mays
Choice

Never saw Castleberry. He’s probably #1 and the others move down a slot. Dwyer is #7, Mills not that good against that list, Daniels I liked a lot but pretty sure he’s not Top 10 either. Rogers and Bell may be above Dwyer, close.

Edit: @Heisman's Ghost How could I forget Levens.
I would swap Lavetter and Eli. Brent Cunningham, pound for pound, but he was the first Tech player I rooted for. David Sims was also special.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Dwyer was the best back we've had in my lifetime, and probably the best since Ivory.

As far as last year we had two great backs in the same year then it would probably be 09 for me with Dwyer and Allen. Dwyer putting up nearly 1400 yards on nearly 6 ypc and Allen putting in over 600 more on nearly 10 ypc is insane. It is also a bit of hindsight using Allen's following year (~1300 yards) as proof that 09 had two legit featured backs. '10 saw a similar dynamic with Allen and Smith but Smith never took over the featured back role. 2014 is probably another year people will point to. Days will always be a huge what if, in terms of what could have been had he started his career at BBack, but it's hard for me to really put those two in the same conversation as Dwyer/Allen when neither of them ever hit more than 1000. Likewise, based on pure potential, '16 with Mills and Marshall could have been comparable but neither turned out to be what they could have. This year certainly seems like it could have that level of potential. Mason already putting up almost 900 yards as a sophomore and we have guys like Griffina nd Gibbs that could certainly tear it up if we get our OL going strong.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I would swap Lavetter and Eli. Brent Cunningham, pound for pound, but he was the first Tech player I rooted for. David Sims was also special.
I was torn between Lavette and ELI. Gave Lavette the nod because he excelled playing on some truly bad teams. Cunningham was before my time.

Bamajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Excellent OP
ELI is the greatest I saw.
Dwyer and Jones the best combo
Agree with OGW about David Sims, believe he played several games with a broken fibula! He and ELI were co HB in Pepper’s wishbone. Pepper changed to the I formation in ‘78 to take advantage of Mike Kelly’s talent at QB. ELI was the TB and had a phenomenal year.
Also got to mention the guy who’s jersey number I wore proudly as an 11 year old, #41, Lenny Snow.

Excellent OP
ELI is the greatest I saw.
Dwyer and Jones the best combo
Agree with OGW about David Sims, believe he played several games with a broken fibula! He and ELI were co HB in Pepper’s wishbone. Pepper changed to the I formation in ‘78 to take advantage of Mike Kelly’s talent at QB. ELI was the TB and had a phenomenal year.
Also got to mention the guy who’s jersey number I wore proudly as an 11 year old, #41, Lenny Snow.
I was tempted to include Lenny Snow, but, although he was great, he didn't put up the numbers that ELI and others did. He MIGHT have with a different O or coach, but he didn't in Dodd's offense.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm in total agreement with ELI. Most impressive, could deliver a hit, had the moves and the speed.

I agree. Loved Mays, Lavette, Choice, Dwyer, Daniels, Laskey, Hollings, et al. But if I were picking just one, ELI is the guy. Had all the tools.

wreck1

Georgia Tech Fan
Eddie Lee Ivery and it isn’t even close.
  • NCAA single game highest average gain per rush-(Min. 26 rushes) - 13.7 vs. Air Force, Nov. 11, 1978
  • Division One single game rushing record- 356 yards vs. Air Force, Nov. 11, 1978. And he did it with the flu.
  • Georgia Tech Football single season rushing yards leader- 1,562 yards
  • Georgia Tech 3rd in career (1975–78) rushing yards- 3,517 in 609 attempts and 22 TD.
  • Georgia Tech 4th in career all-purpose yards- 4,324
I remember when his legs were shown on the cover of Sports Illustrated. The first, and maybe only time, the magazine ever had a cover without a face shot.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Dwyer, Hollings, Choice, Burns, Daniels

Honorable mention to Charlie Rogers, he could really make you miss, great all-purpose. Can only vaguely remember Bell, Lincoln, and Dorsey

Ready to see some studs in the future! Current backfield is very promising.

wreck1

Georgia Tech Fan
y
Dang I’m in lost in trying to post an SI cover but f
Heck I’m trying to post a shot of 1982 SI cover 1982 Football edition with my friend Mr. Ronnie Cone’s legs on it but I’m about to throw this phone through the window. Love y’all.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Eddie Lee! I-ver-y! It was a cheer.

It used to be in college football there was commonly a blocking back. I-formation, for example. When the OP says "best running backs", I think back to the time when you had a blocking back and a tailback--not necessarily two major ball carriers. I'm trying to remember who blocked for Ivery, Lavette et al. out of the backfield. They got a few carries, so they were running backs. That combo could be the two best running backs in the same year.

With last year's OL, we could have used some I formation blocking. I used to say that a good blocking back could cover sins of the OL. They did a pretty good job of using the TE to block the rushing plays last year. An NFL draft choice shows that to be true.
What’s crazy about ELI is he only had one year as a feature back in the I. We ran the wishbone for his first 3 seasons so he split carries. No telling what his numbers could have been.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
Dwyer, Hollings, Choice, Burns, Daniels

Honorable mention to Charlie Rogers, he could really make you miss, great all-purpose. Can only vaguely remember Bell, Lincoln, and Dorsey

Ready to see some studs in the future! Current backfield is very promising.
Post 1990 I’d agree with that list. I might flip choice and hollings due to longevity. The best pro from tech since 1990 is probably Dorsey Levens