Ok question to kill time

drdfk

Georgia Tech Fan
2 great running backs in the same backfield? Some of the older folks might remember that David Sims and ELI were on the same GT team for a couple of years. Both would certainly qualify as great running backs. Both went to the NFL. Both were really good NFL backs. Unfortunately both careers were very short secondary to injury.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Top 5:

Lavette
ELI
Burns
Mays
Choice

Never saw Castleberry. He’s probably #1 and the others move down a slot. Dwyer is #7, Mills not that good against that list, Daniels I liked a lot but pretty sure he’s not Top 10 either. Rogers and Bell may be above Dwyer, close.

Edit: @Heisman's Ghost How could I forget Levens.

I forgot about Charlie Rogers who is more properly, I suppose, considered an "All Purpose" back lining up as he did all over the place. Nobody, I mean nobody, got more out of his ability that Tech's own "Charlie Brown" Charlie Rogers. Something you could say about a lot of Tech's little backs that have come through the Flats. Leon Hardeman, Johnny Gresham, Jimmy Thompson, Albany's own Tony Zenon, Brent Cunningham, and two of Paul Johnson's mini backs that played A back for him whose names I simply am drawing a blank on. One was from Texas and was on scholarship, the other from Cobb County and was a walk on, both were productive in their time. Please forgive me for not remembering your names. Even backs that did not have the "measureables" managed to have productive careers at Tech. Damn it, I forgot Deon Hill. That guy had a career game against Georgia in 2014. Seems like every time we needed a first down, that man was involved be it blocking, catching a pass or running. Fine football player for Paul Johnson.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Eddie Lee! I-ver-y! It was a cheer.

It used to be in college football there was commonly a blocking back. I-formation, for example. When the OP says "best running backs", I think back to the time when you had a blocking back and a tailback--not necessarily two major ball carriers. I'm trying to remember who blocked for Ivery, Lavette et al. out of the backfield. They got a few carries, so they were running backs. That combo could be the two best running backs in the same year.

With last year's OL, we could have used some I formation blocking. I used to say that a good blocking back could cover sins of the OL. They did a pretty good job of using the TE to block the rushing plays last year. An NFL draft choice shows that to be true.

Lavette had two fine fullbacks in front of him. Malcolm King from down here in Americus and Keith Glanton. Both of them were very good football players. I am not sure about ELI but this first two years we were in the wishbone and he was a halfback with David Sims among others.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I was tempted to include Lenny Snow, but, although he was great, he didn't put up the numbers that ELI and others did. He MIGHT have with a different O or coach, but he didn't in Dodd's offense.

Injuries wore him down. He suffered a broken leg against Miami his senior year that finished him. He was also a good receiver out of the backfield for Kim King.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
2 great running backs in the same backfield? Some of the older folks might remember that David Sims and ELI were on the same GT team for a couple of years. Both would certainly qualify as great running backs. Both went to the NFL. Both were really good NFL backs. Unfortunately both careers were very short secondary to injury.

David Sims was a big back, formerly a quarterback in high school right here in Atlanta. He had been playing tight end but Pepper made him a wishbone halfback and a star was born. He ran upright and very hard.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
For the few games we actually got to see him, Hollings was the most talented and probably the best I ever saw in a Tech uniform. What would CPJ have done with him in the TO? Joe Burns was the best 4th qtr back. He got stronger as the game went on. Lavette played on such terrible teams that he really didn't get a fair chance. His short run to get us in position to beat Clemson in '84 is what I remember most about him. I enjoyed watching Mays and Cunningham the most just because of their size. Mays was the best at dancing down the sideline, while Cunningham had the best change of direction.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've seen both names independently on here, but does no one remember that both Choice and Dwyer were on the same team in 2007? They combined for over 1800 yards and 19 TD's that year. Not to mention 2007 also had a redshirting Roddy Jones. I think I'm on the younger side of this board but that team probably had the best pair of running backs in my GT viewing history.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Lavette had two fine fullbacks in front of him. Malcolm King from down here in Americus and Keith Glanton. Both of them were very good football players. I am not sure about ELI but this first two years we were in the wishbone and he was a halfback with David Sims among others.

Good comments.
Best-ELI , 2. next Dwyer 3. Lavette did more with less
the combo-Eli and Sims or Dwyer and Allen
I've only watched for 50+ yrs

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
In my time as an active Tech fan, no doubt but Eddie Lee, although Lavette was obviously good too, as have been several others, but probably not with similar stats
As a two-some, either Choice and Levens, or Dwyer and either Roddie or Allen.
If we want to go very early in life, then Leon Hardeman and Glenn Turner would have to be considered for 2 on the same team.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
For the few games we actually got to see him, Hollings was the most talented and probably the best I ever saw in a Tech uniform. What would CPJ have done with him in the TO? Joe Burns was the best 4th qtr back. He got stronger as the game went on. Lavette played on such terrible teams that he really didn't get a fair chance. His short run to get us in position to beat Clemson in '84 is what I remember most about him. I enjoyed watching Mays and Cunningham the most just because of their size. Mays was the best at dancing down the sideline, while Cunningham had the best change of direction.

Been thinking of his name for 30 minutes. Tony Hollings?

I believe he was a defensive back for Gailey and then, bam, Gailey showcased him at running back and he was destined to be a star until that fateful day. He injured his leg.
Cannot remember what team. He was leading the nation in yardage and looked better than best!