OK, Let's play "You're the AD" of a P5 team.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
There are 64 teams in P5 conferences. 1) What type of coach do you hire (ie experience), 2) how much do you pay, and 3) what is the length of the contract. Keep in mind who you hire and type of contract will say volumes to potential recruits (or could be used to negatively recruit against you).

Couple of P5 stats:
Salary - 53 of 64 coaches make $3.0m/year or more (average is $4.4m/year)
Length of contract - most new contracts are a minimum of 5 years, guaranteed.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There are 64 teams in P5 conferences. 1) What type of coach do you hire (ie experience), 2) how much do you pay, and 3) what is the length of the contract. Keep in mind who you hire and type of contract will say volumes to potential recruits (or could be used to negatively recruit against you).

Couple of P5 stats:
What I would do is find a "inner circle" of well heeled alumni and boosters and give each one a list of players that are difference makers and say: I don't know you from Adam's housecat but these are the guys we need to sign. Pay them, buy them cars, dope, chicks, whatever it takes but get them. Then it should not matter too much who the coach is. That is roughly the modus operandi for UGA, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and the other usual suspects. Seems to work.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Couple of P5 stats:
I think a better question is ... of the 64 team in P5, which coach would see Georgia Tech as a step UP from where they are today?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
How much money do I have to spend? That's the starting point. In our present situation, I'm hiring an up and coming coach whom I think knows what he's doing, without regard to his pedigree, and I'm back-loading it with incentives. There are those who say the only thing we should do is offer prohibitively expensive 7-year contracts to "proven" P-5 coaches, but they're wrong.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
How much freedom do I have to tell the fanbase/donors "GFY"?

Like, am I secure enough in my position that I can just eat 3 years of middling results, or do I need to worry about being entertaining and winning the offseason?

nyto

Georgia Tech Fan
The key here is create more revenue.

No Brainers:
  1. Sell Booze at Athletic Events
  2. More concerts / Special Events at Bobby Dodd
  3. Establish IPTY like program (Clemson Alumni giving program)
  4. Extra focus on sales to Atlanta corporate workforce.
    1. We need to become the 2nd home to fans of other college teams. So many people come to Atlanta and can't participate in gameday with their Alma Mater very often.
  5. Extra focus on creating new sponsor relationships with local S&P500 Companies.
    1. Should be plenty of fruit here to be had. At least more than we have now.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
But it is not just about the head coach. Our coordinators can not make less than 500K each and be competitive with the Power 5. Yes I realize we could hire up and comers but if they are paid way below the standard salary, they will be recruited out quickly (assuming some level of success). So any consideration on salary has to look at the head coach, OC and DC. Whether than is done with base salary or incentives, all 3 would have to be addressed.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
First thing is to figure out how to get all the millionaire graduates (1 in 5?) to become donors.

I think the millionaire thing is overdone. That word still has cache from a long time ago but a millionaire today doesn't mean what it once did. i think it's pretty shrewd marketing by someone at Tech that fools a number of people. Doesn't mean your idea is not without merit. In addition, I would also work on attracting fans who are not alums as well. We never seem to make that a priority. in fact, our priorities have always been a bit unclear to us all.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
The key here is create more revenue.

No Brainers:
  1. Sell Booze at Athletic Events
  2. More concerts / Special Events at Bobby Dodd
  3. Establish IPTY like program (Clemson Alumni giving program)
  4. Extra focus on sales to Atlanta corporate workforce.
    1. We need to become the 2nd home to fans of other college teams. So many people come to Atlanta and can't participate in gameday with their Alma Mater very often.
  5. Extra focus on creating new sponsor relationships with local S&P500 Companies.
    1. Should be plenty of fruit here to be had. At least more than we have now.
Nice ideas but not realistic. We already do 1-3. Number 4 is not going to work if you aren't winning. Why would I pick Tech as a second team when I can root for a local winner like UGA. Plus when you have a half empty Stadium, game day experience is awful. I can spend my money elsewhere on a pro sports ticket. Number 5 sounds good on paper, but why would a local marketing person sponsor Tech football when I can get way more eyeballs on my ads with the Braves, Falcons, United or UGA. Money follows eyeballs, and eyeballs don't follow losers. Winning cures all.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think the millionaire thing is overdone. That word still has cache from a long time ago but a millionaire today doesn't mean what it once did. i think it's pretty shrewd marketing by someone at Tech that fools a number of people. Doesn't mean your idea is not without merit. In addition, I would also work on attracting fans who are not alums as well. We never seem to make that a priority. in fact, our priorities have always been a bit unclear to us all.
Excellent idea, but we have to start winning first. It's a lot easier to market a winning team than a losing one.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Anyone see the first 10-15 minutes of Moneyball? Do we understand the problem? Why try to do what everyone else is doing many of whom have way more funding at their disposal?
That's why we went with Paul Johnson. I think had we funded him at least a little ... we would be that Moneyball team. No .. we want to try to be the Yankees.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That's been the fundamental problem from the beginning.... We cant win playing the same game as everyone else. We need an asymmetrical approach. Instead we are trying to me too it and failing miserably.
In corporate, we would ask, "What is the best strategy ... we can actually implement?" I think the theory of what Geoff is trying to do is fine. The reality is ... we can't implement it with our resources and academics.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
That's been the fundamental problem from the beginning.... We cant win playing the same game as everyone else. We need an asymmetrical approach. Instead we are trying to me too it and failing miserably.
I disagree as our O’Leary teams were broadly competitive. George could coach & lead. Gailey made it to a bowl every year, and he was stacked with talent. However, I would say he was a lesser coach than O’Leary. Gailey’s teams competed but I always felt more was possible.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
How much freedom do I have to tell the fanbase/donors "GFY"?

Like, am I secure enough in my position that I can just eat 3 years of middling results, or do I need to worry about being entertaining and winning the offseason?
With that attitude, the big donors will bounce your *** out into the street!

GTcanWINagain

Banned

Couple of P5 stats:
1. I would target a former NFL HC/AHC offensive mind who also had college coaching experience. Why - Because kids dream of going Pro, and it seemed to help Gailey recruit when he was here.
2. Pay what they need now plus incentives to win. Football drives over 20% of our athletic budget’s revenues, so winning will increase it and I am happy to share with a winning HC.
3. Since the never-coached-a-Power-5 Collins got 7 years, I think we are screwed on the term expectation from now on.
Bonus: Targets would be Bill O’Brien, Ken Whisenhurt, Byron Leftwich, etc.