Ok Brilliant Engineers....

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
RANT FOLLOWS.
Who thinks the Hill is really did as much as it could on KLOCK?
The hill couldn't get KLOCK into the gt business grad school (rated 29), so he went to the Northwestern. It is tied with MIT and Stanford at 4.

Coach indicated Klock would have stayed but the hill couldn't get him accepted. He was discussing the depth on the radio show .
Please note that two SENIOR OT s not returning is a depth killer. - With this + injuries (marshall) and IMO slow development and a nick by Stickler, we are super thin at tackle. Now play Miami #10,Clem #7, Vt #13 , uga #2. That's the number 1 toughest schedule in America using 1 sophmore ot and a damn good guard playing tackle. Coaching matters but so does being a good president
Our Coach is 100% committed , but the hill is involved. Sad
End Rant

Animal02

Banned
Wake F. seems to be recruiting Texas but we don't seem to be. My guess is because of size of recruiting budget and number of recruiters. Also already heavily recruited by Texas schools and surrounding state schools. But Wake seems to have added a number from Texas and are getting more competitive.

Could alumni be used to identify talent through out the 50 states (especially outside the SE)? Have 15 or so volunteer knowledgeable ex players to cover a 2 to 4 state area and alums like myself could obtain and send potential prospects info to them to screen. We who identify potential SA make initial contact with coaches and see if there is an interest in GT. If there is, obtain basic information on academics, their physical capabilities, their moral attributes. Would they go to evaluation camp at their own transportation expense? With the right answers, they get an invite. It would be like a volunteer scout network.

We need to be innovative and with some training, coordination, and volunteer commitments I think it could be effective. Frankly I hope this is being done, to some degree now, in places like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Louisiana.

As I write this, another thought is whether it is illegal to set up an evaluation weekend in some of these states and open it up to potential SAs to come and get connected. If not illegal it could done with this proposed scout network. I know we must have some GT alum HS coaches as possible volunteers.
The problem being the risk of volunteers violating some obscure NCAa rule that they would nail Tech while allowing dake classes at UNCheat

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
RANT FOLLOWS.
The hill couldn't get KLOCK into the gt business grad school (rated 29), so he went to the Northwestern. It is tied with MIT and Stanford at 4.

Coach indicated Klock would have stayed but the hill couldn't get him accepted. He was discussing the depth on the radio show .
Please note that two SENIOR OT s not returning is a depth killer. - With this + injuries (marshall) and IMO slow development and a nick by Stickler, we are super thin at tackle. Now play Miami #10,Clem #7, Vt #13 , uga #2. That's the number 1 toughest schedule in America using 1 sophmore ot and a damn good guard playing tackle. Coaching matters but so does being a good president
End Rant
You speak the TRUTH Iceeater!!!

Animal02

Banned
RANT FOLLOWS.

End Rant
IIRC, he is not the first denied entry into the program with eligibility remaining.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Wake F. seems to be recruiting Texas but we don't seem to be. Could alumni be used to identify talent through out the 50 states (especially outside the SE)?

Alabama recruits nationally but is heavily focused on Texas right now. Lots of talent there. Tennessee had a recruiting office in CA for a while to take advantage of the issues with USC and steer recruits to Knoxville. ND recruits nationally as well.

Can it work? Sure. Should we be doing it? Yes. Will we do it? Probably not. It's just not in the GTAA's nature to do the smart thing.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Texas offers strong high level competition with schools that offer/require excellent academics. So chances are higher in finding talent that can meet academic demands of Tech.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Alabama recruits nationally but is heavily focused on Texas right now. Lots of talent there. Tennessee had a recruiting office in CA for a while to take advantage of the issues with USC and steer recruits to Knoxville. ND recruits nationally as well.

Can it work? Sure. Should we be doing it? Yes. Will we do it? Probably not. It's just not in the GTAA's nature to do the smart thing.
ND has a national network of parochial schools that feed them.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Yet a very low percentage of players are actually Catholic.
In general or play for ND? It seems that quite a few players cross themselves. I have no facts other than a few friends over years indicating you don't need to be Roman Catholic to be recruited as a future ND prospect by parochial schools. Private schools are not bound by redistricting as are public schools.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, he is not the first denied entry into the program with eligibility remaining.
If Klock was accepted by NWestern and is successful there, TSTAN should find out why GT rejected him and ask for an upper level review to determine if our players are being evaluated impartially. Yes not the first time and if an SA has it in his mind, he will seek a MBA, then this type of thing can be a detriment to recruiting.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Since so many alums/people are so upset after every loss, what is the "specific" formula to make us a perinneal top 10 program like Clemson??? Personally, I think its all about $$$ & majors. Until we pony up the $$, other teams have better assistants and better support staff to prepare the team. Right now, we are behind the competition every week! Also, depth hurts. Although we have greats players, we just don't have great players at the 2/3 deep. Why, b/c we have to develop talent versus recruiting ready to play talent. The top dogs who come in ready to play sure as hell aren't engineers, & I would wager they would struggle with the business curriculum everyone loves to insult!

In my opinion, if CPJ wasn't at Tech, we would be lucky to win 3-4 games per year. Yes, you can say his record is similar to past coaches, but since he has been here almost every other ACC school has passed GT in $$ invested into their program. CPJ is taking MIT, Caltech level students and winning 7-10 per year.

Give him some $$ and 1 major to stash athletes and I guarantee we win the NC within 5 years!

If you disagree, other than constantly complaing about CPJ, how do you think we win it all moving forward?

So I haven't read the entire thread yet,but here are my ideas. First, to build a better program there are things we can control, things we have some control over,and things we can't control. With those breaks in mind here are things we can do to create a better program.

TLDR version: Align the school and AD's paths so the Hill helps the AD and the AD helps the hill. Raise more money, market GT as a whole, use the city as a resource not an excuse, seek additional well thought out majors, don't worry about the things that we can't control.

Things we can control
1. Integrate the mission of the school and the athletic department. To often the Hill appears to view the AD as the red-headed step child of the Institute, instead of viewing it as the front porch. This will require us as an alumni and fans to apply pressure to both TStan and Bud to work together more closely, especially in areas of outreach, fundraising, and overall experience of every person that comes to visit the campus.

2. How we fundraise: Clemson has been helped tremendously by the iptay program. This has raised them so much money since 1934 that they are considered a powerhouse in the sport. Instead of relying on large donations and AT fund add-ons to season ticket sales Tech, and honestly any school, should mimic the IPTAY program. Some fun acronyms for such programs could include:

FEW: Five ($5)/Fifteen ($15)/Fifty ($50) Each Week - assuming all 126,000 living alumni (2010 GT alumni association estimate) paid in, this would raise between $32.8 MM - $327.6 MM annually
FEM: Five ($5)/Fifteen ($15)/Fifty ($50) Every Month - $7.6 MM - $75.6 MM annually
FEQ: Five ($5)/Fifteen ($15)/Fifty ($50) Each Quarter - $2.5 MM - $25.2 MM annually
TECH: Ten ($10) Every Check - ~$32.8 MM annually

Ideally, in a fully integrated system this money would be split 50-50 to support the AD and the school's endowment (what we pay into roll call). As you can see, this type of fundraising would be significant to the overall financial health of the school and AD. Better finances drive everything else.

3. Our Marketing - Our marketing and outreach as an athletic program in the city is terrible. The billboards are cool, and every now and then you hear a radio ad, but for the most part the advertising sucks. We need to hire someone to create a story for the AD, the school, and both as a whole unit. Target Georgia Tech's reputation in the State. Build pride in the institution among alumni and our fellow citizens. Have public outreach to every school in the state, we call Georgia Tech the MIT of the south, let's market GT so much that MIT is the Georgia Tech of the North. This would be paid for in part by the better money flow created by programs discussed in #2.

4. Our gameday atmosphere - Fans this is on us as much as the AD, but let's start with some things that the school can control.

A. When we have weeknight football games, would it kill the Hill to stop classes at 3 PM?
B. Our color coordination - I really like the concept of "White at Night! Gold in the Light!". If you're unfamiliar with this, the idea is that we wear gold (as fans, and potentially players) when the kick occurs in a traditional early or afternoon slot (noon - five) and we as fans wear white for any kicks after 5pm (night games).
C. Being loud and proud in the stands - As fans, we can help create a great gameday atmosphere by just being loud and engaged
D. Re-seat the stadium so that we hold between 50-53k in an attempt to get rid of the empty seats, consider replacing bench seats with bucket seats ala NFL stadiums.

Things we Sorta Control:
1. Our reputation - We as an institute, alumni/fan base, and AD can do our darndest to be perfect citizens, great hosts, and rowdy fanatics, but we can't really control how others view us. So behave well and appropriately, but don't worry to much about our reputation, just continue to do your part to build it.

2. Media coverage - The current old guard in local media will not give us a fair shake, keep winning, use the advertising to get a larger fan base, and don't complain every time a bad article comes out. Consume the articles, especially the good ones, and push that you want more coverage/shows at reasonable times. For instance, push 680 for a Yellow Jacket Round Table on Wednesday mornings.

Things we can't control:
1. Majors - I believe it was a great mistake to give UGA an engineering program without providing GT an eduaction program. I feel that the school should push for certain majors to be added to GT - education being first and foremost, but until the BOR stops viewing the institute as the ignorable cash cow we will have a stupidly hard time increasing majors.

2. Other programs - Beat them on the field, but don't worry about them. Be tech, keep everything up to date, and we'll be good.

Any other suggestions guys? I'm working on putting together this in a bit more formal presentation to present to TStan. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

So I haven't read the entire thread yet,but here are my ideas. First, to build a better program there are things we can control, things we have some control over,and things we can't control. With those breaks in mind here are things we can do to create a better program.

TLDR version: Align the school and AD's paths so the Hill helps the AD and the AD helps the hill. Raise more money, market GT as a whole, use the city as a resource not an excuse, seek additional well thought out majors, don't worry about the things that we can't control.

Things we can control
1. Integrate the mission of the school and the athletic department. To often the Hill appears to view the AD as the red-headed step child of the Institute, instead of viewing it as the front porch. This will require us as an alumni and fans to apply pressure to both TStan and Bud to work together more closely, especially in areas of outreach, fundraising, and overall experience of every person that comes to visit the campus.

2. How we fundraise: Clemson has been helped tremendously by the iptay program. This has raised them so much money since 1934 that they are considered a powerhouse in the sport. Instead of relying on large donations and AT fund add-ons to season ticket sales Tech, and honestly any school, should mimic the IPTAY program. Some fun acronyms for such programs could include:

FEW: Five ($5)/Fifteen ($15)/Fifty ($50) Each Week - assuming all 126,000 living alumni (2010 GT alumni association estimate) paid in, this would raise between $32.8 MM - $327.6 MM annually
FEM: Five ($5)/Fifteen ($15)/Fifty ($50) Every Month - $7.6 MM - $75.6 MM annually
FEQ: Five ($5)/Fifteen ($15)/Fifty ($50) Each Quarter - $2.5 MM - $25.2 MM annually
TECH: Ten ($10) Every Check - ~$32.8 MM annually

Ideally, in a fully integrated system this money would be split 50-50 to support the AD and the school's endowment (what we pay into roll call). As you can see, this type of fundraising would be significant to the overall financial health of the school and AD. Better finances drive everything else.

3. Our Marketing - Our marketing and outreach as an athletic program in the city is terrible. The billboards are cool, and every now and then you hear a radio ad, but for the most part the advertising sucks. We need to hire someone to create a story for the AD, the school, and both as a whole unit. Target Georgia Tech's reputation in the State. Build pride in the institution among alumni and our fellow citizens. Have public outreach to every school in the state, we call Georgia Tech the MIT of the south, let's market GT so much that MIT is the Georgia Tech of the North. This would be paid for in part by the better money flow created by programs discussed in #2.

4. Our gameday atmosphere - Fans this is on us as much as the AD, but let's start with some things that the school can control.

A. When we have weeknight football games, would it kill the Hill to stop classes at 3 PM?
B. Our color coordination - I really like the concept of "White at Night! Gold in the Light!". If you're unfamiliar with this, the idea is that we wear gold (as fans, and potentially players) when the kick occurs in a traditional early or afternoon slot (noon - five) and we as fans wear white for any kicks after 5pm (night games).
C. Being loud and proud in the stands - As fans, we can help create a great gameday atmosphere by just being loud and engaged
D. Re-seat the stadium so that we hold between 50-53k in an attempt to get rid of the empty seats, consider replacing bench seats with bucket seats ala NFL stadiums.

Things we Sorta Control:
1. Our reputation - We as an institute, alumni/fan base, and AD can do our darndest to be perfect citizens, great hosts, and rowdy fanatics, but we can't really control how others view us. So behave well and appropriately, but don't worry to much about our reputation, just continue to do your part to build it.

2. Media coverage - The current old guard in local media will not give us a fair shake, keep winning, use the advertising to get a larger fan base, and don't complain every time a bad article comes out. Consume the articles, especially the good ones, and push that you want more coverage/shows at reasonable times. For instance, push 680 for a Yellow Jacket Round Table on Wednesday mornings.

Things we can't control:
1. Majors - I believe it was a great mistake to give UGA an engineering program without providing GT an eduaction program. I feel that the school should push for certain majors to be added to GT - education being first and foremost, but until the BOR stops viewing the institute as the ignorable cash cow we will have a stupidly hard time increasing majors.

2. Other programs - Beat them on the field, but don't worry about them. Be tech, keep everything up to date, and we'll be good.

Any other suggestions guys? I'm working on putting together this in a bit more formal presentation to present to TStan. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
I like everything you said, but especially this ---
And I say, HELL YEAH to that !!!

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
You really need to find a new team.

Nesbit didn't leave early and the other 2 got drafted. Like come on at least use one of the actual valid complaints against CPJ.
JacketFromUGA & herb , you guys need to re-read the post. No where did I say Nesbit left with eligibility remaining. The post concerned Dwyer/Morgan/Burnett who did declare for the draft and left school.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Been saying it nots that expensive to recruit Houston and Dallas Suburbs due to SW arilines - to LOVE and HOBBY. 2hr 10 minutes. Schools we would recruit are in the perimiter loop. In Houston this used to be loop 610 but now it is belt way 8 and 99. This is do to the schools in the interior city have declined in academics and in football. The suburb shools are usually have an exemplary academic ratings and contain former intercity people that want to get a good safe education for thier kids.
By way great football around outer houston / dallas and a couple thousand tech grads
Yet a very low percentage of players are actually Catholic.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Utter nonsense. You assume a level of organization that doesn’t exist.
Catholic high in pensacola - not so Catholic and not so good at fb. At senior night saw lots of players going to college (one to harvard).

Good friend (who played at u southern miss) has a son who is doing great as fb on jv. Maybe??