Ogbonda, Gueye and Alson are leaving ...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I agree could have started them until the first timeout so could get introduced. We started slow anyway and they wouldn't have made that much difference.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Sucks for them, but better for the program that we get the win. Of course, I also never put too much stock in token minutes just because guys are leaving either anyways.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
At least they will walk across the stage and get a degree that helps prepare them for life unlike the one and dones at Duke who get one year of sociology survey courses. I know the NBA guys make millions but the primary role of universities is education. Sometimes we lose sight of that. Tech grads become millionaires too it just takes them longer.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We went to overtime, and the case is being made that we should have played lesser players for a period of time?

If Pastner does that and we lose, he's taking more heat for losing to Boston College.

Winning better be his #1 priority for the program, and as a byproduct himself. Hindsight says he did the right thing, imo, even though before the game I might've liked to see the token start.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We went to overtime, and the case is being made that we should have played lesser players for a period of time?

If Pastner does that and we lose, he's taking more heat for losing to Boston College.

Winning better be his #1 priority for the program, and as a byproduct himself. Hindsight says he did the right thing, imo, even though before the game I might've liked to see the token start.

Pastner mentioned post-game that he wanted to find Vess and Alston some minutes, but it was too close. Honestly, I’m not sure why it’s even an issue.

Yes it was a smaller crowd, but if you were there, then you know it got really loud. Kudos to us tonight, I guess the hard cores made it out tonight.

In any event, all three got a really nice ovation from the crowd. I doubt they cared as much as some here about a minutes and a half. They’re just happy they got a W in their last home game!

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree the win was more important than token minutes, and since it took overtime to get a win by 3 points, Pastner did the right thing in not playing them for token minutes. AD gave us some quality minutes tonight for sure. Me and my boy were at the game, and it was a nice way to end our home schedule. The crowd was a bit sparse. Student section behind basket was pretty empty except for pep band and a few die hards. But, man, we got really loud when Ty Bowman went to the free throw line down the stretch. The small crowd really wanted that win and really got behind the team. McCamish could be amazing if we ever get a good team playing in there. The core of Jose, Devoe, and Banks really played well tonight. Finally all in the same game. Those 3 scored 59.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Although Alston frustrated me to no end, multiple times this season, you gotta recognize greatness when you see it. He is going to be the CEO of some big company one day. He came in highly motivated after graduating from a good school in 2 years and was never an issue off the court, while showing up every night to help his team. I got nothing but respect for the guy.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
LOL that people are hanging hats on CJPs rotation decisions.

Cause it's so clear all season that Moore's minutes are more valuable than Alston's!!! Give me a break.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Although Alston frustrated me to no end, multiple times this season, you gotta recognize greatness when you see it. He is going to be the CEO of some big company one day. He came in highly motivated after graduating from a good school in 2 years and was never an issue off the court, while showing up every night to help his team. I got nothing but respect for the guy.

I agree 100% about Alston. And after seeing the video that someone on the forum posted of Obganda's speech at the GTAA dinner, I think he is also destined for good things in the future. Same for AD after reading his story in the AJC. All three of these guys are great Tech men.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Good grief. Start the guys for a dang minute, Don’t think the initial contribution of Haywood and Wright were the reason we won. They dedicated a lot of time and commitment for 2-4 years respectively. One minute. Hope parents were not there

Well, you will never hear me complain about sitting Haywood or Wright, never. But, on the flip side, we have had several 3 minute stretches this year where we have gone down by 15+ points, so...

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Good grief. Start the guys for a dang minute, Don’t think the initial contribution of Haywood and Wright were the reason we won. They dedicated a lot of time and commitment for 2-4 years respectively. One minute. Hope parents were not there
Agree. Weak move. Playing them for a minute wouldn't have made a lick of a difference, and even if it did, we are literally playing for 12th place here folks.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I agree could have started them until the first timeout so could get introduced. We started slow anyway and they wouldn't have made that much difference.

thats why they didnt start. imo. every game weve started really slow weve gotten beat and beat badly. we even fell behind with the lineup we had today.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
had we lost which was a distinct possibility with the current lineup let alone playing 3 kids a few minutes. nobody on this board a year from now would have said ' we really would have won our last home game but coach did a nice thing for the sr's" ...... of course not.

and it could be that wins and losses are counted in the contract of cjp and his assistants.

go for the win first. im sure had we been up by a COMFORTABLE margin at the end he would have put them in. as it was we barely won.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Couple of thoughts. We need to institute a rebounding regimen in the offseason. This is one of the worst rebounding teams I have watched at GT. What bothers me the most is that the majority of the players don't seem to have a 'want to' for rebounding. Rebounding is so much about wanting the ball more than anyone else. FWIW, you can't have an uptempo offense if you don't first secure the rebound. GT is 1-15-1 in winning the rebounding battle in ACC games.

I actually thought Moses played one of his better games. We just need to keep him within 8 ft of the basket. I think next year i'd like to see him as the primary backup to Banks.
This was probably the first game where I thought the big three all played well together.
Curtis' boxscore shows why he plays. Even though he was only 1-5 from the field he had 7 rebounds (second only to Banks), and 6 assists (most on the team) as well as a steal. IMO he's the best passer on the court in half court sets and is our best perimeter defender.
Moore just oozes potential. Can't wait to see where he is by his Jr season.
Devoe is going to be a really good player before he is done at GT. He doesn't have the extreme athleticism that makes an NBA jump easy but he has excellent size and skills. As he gains more experience at the college level and learns better what to do and what not to do he is really going to turn into a tough player.

Nik Popovic is the poster child for why you should never get to down on a players early in their career. He was not good as a FR, had a solid SO year and has really broken out as a Jr given BC 14 1/2 pts and 7+ rebounds per game.

Congrats to Connell's daughter for getting a t-shirt.

gtgaas

Georgia Tech Fan
Couple of thoughts. We need to institute a rebounding regimen in the offseason. This is one of the worst rebounding teams I have watched at GT. What bothers me the most is that the majority of the players don't seem to have a 'want to' for rebounding. Rebounding is so much about wanting the ball more than anyone else. FWIW, you can't have an uptempo offense if you don't first secure the rebound. GT is 1-15-1 in winning the rebounding battle in ACC games.

I actually thought Moses played one of his better games. We just need to keep him within 8 ft of the basket. I think next year i'd like to see him as the primary backup to Banks.
This was probably the first game where I thought the big three all played well together.
Curtis' boxscore shows why he plays. Even though he was only 1-5 from the field he had 7 rebounds (second only to Banks), and 6 assists (most on the team) as well as a steal. IMO he's the best passer on the court in half court sets and is our best perimeter defender.
Moore just oozes potential. Can't wait to see where he is by his Jr season.
Devoe is going to be a really good player before he is done at GT. He doesn't have the extreme athleticism that makes an NBA jump easy but he has excellent size and skills. As he gains more experience at the college level and learns better what to do and what not to do he is really going to turn into a tough player.

Nik Popovic is the poster child for why you should never get to down on a players early in their career. He was not good as a FR, had a solid SO year and has really broken out as a Jr given BC 14 1/2 pts and 7+ rebounds per game.

Congrats to Connell's daughter for getting a t-shirt.

RR - what do you think the future holds for Phillips, Cole, and Sjolund re: GT?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not too bothered by Ves and Alston not getting any run this game but I do understand the thoughts and expectations of those who were looking for it. When UNC hosts Duke this Sat in their last home game I expect Roy will start every senior - walk ons included until the first whistle. It is their tradition.