Ogbonda, Gueye and Alson are leaving ...

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not too bothered by Ves and Alston not getting any run this game but I do understand the thoughts and expectations of those who were looking for it. When UNC hosts Duke this Sat in their last home game I expect Roy will start every senior - walk ons included until the first whistle. It is their tradition.
Classless move IMO

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
RR - what do you think the future holds for Phillips, Cole, and Sjolund re: GT?

Phillips I don't expect to see the floor much, Jose and Devoe will play most of the backcourt min and there are options likely to be ahead on the wing (Haywood, Moore, Sjolund even Usher - though I think Usher is likely to get more run as a small ball 4).
Cole is an I don't know. He shows potential. Can he make a step up next year and stay healthy as well.
I think Sjolund is going to develop into a solid contributor. He has good natural instincts at the offensive end and a good jumpshot. He needs time in the S&C program. He's never going to be a great defender, but I think he can be a nice piece. He should develop into a rotation player and potentially a starter later in his career.

I feel like we have the big 3 - Jose, Devoe, Banks. I feel like Usher is likely to start and then a fifth starter that could come from any of Moses, Curtis, Moore, Sjolund. I would sort of like to see Moses move largely to a backup 5 role. He could be a solid big if we could just convince him to stay within 8 ft of the basket, but he likes to drift outside. if Curtis could develop to where he was a consistent 7-8 ppg guy he would be an easy pick as he does all the other things well. Moore looks like someone who should develop as a two way big wing over time.

I like Usher at the 4 better than Wright because his offensive skill level is much higher. He is a better shooter at every level and a better ballhandler. Moses may be a slightly better rebounder.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Couple of thoughts. We need to institute a rebounding regimen in the offseason. This is one of the worst rebounding teams I have watched at GT. What bothers me the most is that the majority of the players don't seem to have a 'want to' for rebounding. Rebounding is so much about wanting the ball more than anyone else. FWIW, you can't have an uptempo offense if you don't first secure the rebound. GT is 1-15-1 in winning the rebounding battle in ACC games.

I actually thought Moses played one of his better games. We just need to keep him within 8 ft of the basket. I think next year i'd like to see him as the primary backup to Banks.
This was probably the first game where I thought the big three all played well together.
Curtis' boxscore shows why he plays. Even though he was only 1-5 from the field he had 7 rebounds (second only to Banks), and 6 assists (most on the team) as well as a steal. IMO he's the best passer on the court in half court sets and is our best perimeter defender.
Moore just oozes potential. Can't wait to see where he is by his Jr season.
Devoe is going to be a really good player before he is done at GT. He doesn't have the extreme athleticism that makes an NBA jump easy but he has excellent size and skills. As he gains more experience at the college level and learns better what to do and what not to do he is really going to turn into a tough player.

Nik Popovic is the poster child for why you should never get to down on a players early in their career. He was not good as a FR, had a solid SO year and has really broken out as a Jr given BC 14 1/2 pts and 7+ rebounds per game.

Congrats to Connell's daughter for getting a t-shirt.

I wonder if part of the issue is rebounding has been de-emphasized (at least on the offensive end) and some how mentally that has caused the "want to" not to be there?

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Phillips I don't expect to see the floor much, Jose and Devoe will play most of the backcourt min and there are options likely to be ahead on the wing (Haywood, Moore, Sjolund even Usher - though I think Usher is likely to get more run as a small ball 4).
Cole is an I don't know. He shows potential. Can he make a step up next year and stay healthy as well.
I think Sjolund is going to develop into a solid contributor. He has good natural instincts at the offensive end and a good jumpshot. He needs time in the S&C program. He's never going to be a great defender, but I think he can be a nice piece. He should develop into a rotation player and potentially a starter later in his career.

I feel like we have the big 3 - Jose, Devoe, Banks. I feel like Usher is likely to start and then a fifth starter that could come from any of Moses, Curtis, Moore, Sjolund. I would sort of like to see Moses move largely to a backup 5 role. He could be a solid big if we could just convince him to stay within 8 ft of the basket, but he likes to drift outside. if Curtis could develop to where he was a consistent 7-8 ppg guy he would be an easy pick as he does all the other things well. Moore looks like someone who should develop as a two way big wing over time.

I like Usher at the 4 better than Wright because his offensive skill level is much higher. He is a better shooter at every level and a better ballhandler. Moses may be a slightly better rebounder.

What is the deal with Phillips? He was a solid player at UT and can’t see the floor here...and can’t hit a shot to save his life. He might be our most explosive athletic player too, frustrating that it hasn’t worked this year

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Couple of thoughts. We need to institute a rebounding regimen in the offseason. This is one of the worst rebounding teams I have watched at GT. What bothers me the most is that the majority of the players don't seem to have a 'want to' for rebounding. Rebounding is so much about wanting the ball more than anyone else. FWIW, you can't have an uptempo offense if you don't first secure the rebound. GT is 1-15-1 in winning the rebounding battle in ACC games.

I actually thought Moses played one of his better games. We just need to keep him within 8 ft of the basket. I think next year i'd like to see him as the primary backup to Banks.
This was probably the first game where I thought the big three all played well together.
Curtis' boxscore shows why he plays. Even though he was only 1-5 from the field he had 7 rebounds (second only to Banks), and 6 assists (most on the team) as well as a steal. IMO he's the best passer on the court in half court sets and is our best perimeter defender.
Devoe is going to be a really good player before he is done at GT. He doesn't have the extreme athleticism that makes an NBA jump easy but he has excellent size and skills. As he gains more experience at the college level and learns better what to do and what not to do he is really going to turn into a tough player.

Nik Popovic is the poster child for why you should never get to down on a players early in their career. He was not good as a FR, had a solid SO year and has really broken out as a Jr given BC 14 1/2 pts and 7+ rebounds per game.

My thoughts exactly on Curtis. Whatever his point total may show, every aspect of our team improves with him on the floor. He has a very nice stroke, it'll start to fall eventually and he'll be very valuable if he's hitting those shots and doing everything he does now.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck

Wright should never shoot the ball outside the paint.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree 100%. Yet he plays on the perimeter by design. I hope we change that next season.

He's been playing on the perimeter on offense less the past few weeks.

Agree with all who think he has difference maker potential if he works with Coach Rev and plans on manning the paint.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder if part of the issue is rebounding has been de-emphasized (at least on the offensive end) and some how mentally that has caused the "want to" not to be there?
We have so much length on this team it kills me that Pastner doesn't emphasize rebounding with all of the athleticism that we have. That plan is going to have to get scratched if we plan on having any success next year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I disagree on Usher starting. Joining mid year means he would be shaking up the line up which, hopefully, has established some chemistry and cohesion through the non conference. I like his potential but I haven't seen anything that makes me pencil him in as a starter yet though.

As far as Wright goes, he's strung together a nice couple of games going for 10-6 on 50% shooting the last 4 games. I think there is a lot of potential with him and Jose/Devoe if they can get timing down. I think the key is if he's at the 4 he has to be allowed to/instructed to crash the boards harder and to dive to the basket early and often when he sees penetration or entry to the opposite side. I could see him getting feeds from both Jose/Devoe off their drives, or Banks off his post ups that normally lead to the hook shots.

I think we go with Jose/Devoe/Curt/Wright/Banks with Moore, Sjolund, and Cole providing depth early in the year and Usher likely bumping the worse performing of Cole and Sjolund down a spot to be the primary back up at the 4 when he joins.

GT_EE78

Banned
I disagree on Usher starting. Joining mid year means he would be shaking up the line up which, hopefully, has established some chemistry and cohesion through the non conference. I like his potential but I haven't seen anything that makes me pencil him in as a starter yet though. .
Usher has already been scoring about 8.5 ppg over the past two years (same as banks/devoe this year) so I can't agree with your reluctance to assume he'll start as soon as available. I think we'll be in for another long season if we have to recyle the same 6 guys to find a fifth starter.(hope i'm wrong) I think cjp will be looking for a grad transfer who can start immediately. Either 3&D wing or a big. It's Usher's flexibility to play at either 3 or 4 that will allow cjp to go find the best gt available regardless of position. (does adam smith have a brother?)

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Huge mistake by CJP. Why not put in Ogbonda and Alston, just for the start of the game? These guys worked just as hard as everyone else during their time here, they deserve their time. And CJP said it was too close? But Alston plays almost the whole game sometimes, so that doesn't make sense to me. These guys aren't world beaters, but no way would they get us in a huge hole in the first 2 minutes. Playing them would not have cost us the game, and if it did? This was the battle for like 10th in the conference, who cares? I am glad to see us finally win, don't get me wrong, but those guys(especially Ogbonda) should have been rewarded with some time.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Usher has already been scoring about 8.5 ppg over the past two years (same as banks/devoe this year) so I can't agree with your reluctance to assume he'll start as soon as available. I think we'll be in for another long season if we have to recyle the same 6 guys to find a fifth starter.(hope i'm wrong) I think cjp will be looking for a grad transfer who can start immediately. Either 3&D wing or a big. It's Usher's flexibility to play at either 3 or 4 that will allow cjp to go find the best gt available regardless of position. (does adam smith have a brother?)

Here are the per 40 stats this year for Wright and Usher.

Wright 13.1 points, 8.1 rebs, 1.7 assists, 1.2 blocks, 1 steal, 2.6 TOs, 3 fouls
Usher 14.2 points, 6.1 rebs, 2.8 assists, .3 blocks, 1 steal, 2.8 TOs, 5 fouls

Usher is about 3 points better on offense between points and assists, but probably gives up that much in rebounds, blocks, and fouls. Of course it should be noted that Usher played 12 games against non conference before transferring so those numbers aren't exactly one to one equivalent to someone going through ACC play.

Maybe a transfer will come in and start and maybe Usher will earn a starting spot at some point, but I highly doubt he starts as soon as he is eligible.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck

Wright 13.1 points, 8.1 rebs, 1.7 assists, 1.2 blocks, 1 steal, 2.6 TOs, 3 fouls

Usher is about 3 points better on offense between points and assists, but probably gives up that much in rebounds, blocks, and fouls. Of course it should be noted that Usher played 12 games against non conference before transferring so those numbers aren't exactly one to one equivalent to someone going through ACC play.

Maybe a transfer will come in and start and maybe Usher will earn a starting spot at some point, but I highly doubt he starts as soon as he is eligible.
Here’s what I see for next year

1. Alvarado
2. Devoe
3. Haywood/Moore
4. Wright/usher
5. Banks/wright

What we really need is a backup point guard, not a combo guard but a true floor general.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I see Usher playing as a SF, stretching to a PF when needed. We need scoring at SF and his size will be a plus. But it will depend on how well he adjusts to our defensive arrangement. That's what has kept Sjolund and others on the bench recently.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we go with Jose/Devoe/Curt/Wright/Banks with Moore, Sjolund, and Cole providing depth early in the year and Usher likely bumping the worse performing of Cole and Sjolund down a spot to be the primary back up at the 4 when he joins.

I can agree with that rotation as there is a LOT of length, given CJPs emphasis on defense. With the exception of AD, this now becomes a veteran lineup. Hopefully this 8 can develop more chemistry over the off season and come back even hungrier when the season starts.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
CJP has repeatedly stated that Usher is a major addition to the roster next year. Certainly hasn't said he is a guaranteed starter but strongly inferred he is going to play a lot. Course I think he was high on Philips as well.

He has also stated several times that he wants to use the spring period to find a couple of "bucket getters". He certainly is looking to add to the roster for next year. At minimum I think it is safe to say the roster is still in flux.

At this point I think Moses is the backup 5 by default. Whether he is the starting 4 will be interesting to see. Again CJP has repeatedly stated he wants to run an uptempo 4 out with a lot of shooting. That doesn't scream Moses - especially if CJP can land another "bucket getter".

We have a ton of projects in the workshop part of the roster. And we are coming off a down year pretty much any way you want to look at it. So while CJP obviously has a commitment to Jose, Devoe and Banks - the rest to me seems up in the air.

GT_EE78

Banned

stats need to be real. what is "per 40" is there a shlitz bull involved?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
CJP has repeatedly stated that Usher is a major addition to the roster next year. Certainly hasn't said he is a guaranteed starter but strongly inferred he is going to play a lot. Course I think he was high on Philips as well.

He has also stated several times that he wants to use the spring period to find a couple of "bucket getters". He certainly is looking to add to the roster for next year. At minimum I think it is safe to say the roster is still in flux.

At this point I think Moses is the backup 5 by default. Whether he is the starting 4 will be interesting to see. Again CJP has repeatedly stated he wants to run an uptempo 4 out with a lot of shooting. That doesn't scream Moses - especially if CJP can land another "bucket getter".

Pastner can say whatever he wants but you have to play with what you have not with what you want.

Right now we don't have an up tempo 4 that can spread the floor. Cole shot 27% from three last year and 20% this year. Maybe he'll develop but he isn't there yet. Sjolund has proven to be able to knock down the 3 but he isn't physical enough to play the 4 for long stretches. Usher last year shot 40% from behind the arc and 29% this year both on relatively low volume. Even if he is that type of player, he won't be available for half the year. So do people expect us to switch up how we use that role half way through? Or do we expect to utilize that style of 4 the entire way which doesn't fit Wright who has been pretty much the clear choice for early in the year next year?