Offseason QB question to ponder

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
I was watching old Nesbitt videos the other day and I thought about whenever we play VaTech. Do we do better against their Defense when we have a power QB ala Nesbitt and MJ last year. I know JT beat them in 2014, but we win last year with MJ and in '09 with Nesbitt and I would bet everything we win in '10 if Nesbitt doesn't break his arm. We pretty much dominated them until he got hurt and still had a chance with Tevin at the end.

Like any good defense with speed and discipline, you can't consistently run outside and gain yards. You have to have a power run game where you pick up 4 and 5 yards inside. Then when they wear down you gash them. Having Jordan and Marshall was the solution.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
The nice thing about the inside game in '14 was Shaq was an all american trap and drive blocker, so the interior couldn't just target the mesh and bow Justin out. Parker has similar agility and ferocity.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And last year Shamire played his best game as a Jacket. He was Shaq incarnate on the inside stuff, several times taking two D players out of the play as they tried to gang up on the inside. I hope Sewak does what he said and puts him in during games where the DLs play head up on the guards.

I think he was beaten out fair and square; Braun is faster and pulls with more effect. But Shamire is a gigantic obstacle when we run inside and very effective. (I think he would still be starting if Mills wasn't set at BB. Mills runs so strongly that he doesn't need much of a hole and he runs right through the first hit.) We'll see how this all works out in the fall.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
And last year Shamire played his best game as a Jacket. He was Shaq incarnate on the inside stuff, several times taking two D players out of the play as they tried to gang up on the inside. I hope Sewak does what he said and puts him in during games where the DLs play head up on the guards.

I think he was beaten out fair and square; Braun is faster and pulls with more effect. But Shamire is a gigantic obstacle when we run inside and very effective. (I think he would still be starting if Mills wasn't set at BB. Mills runs so strongly that he doesn't need much of a hole and he runs right through the first hit.) We'll see how this all works out in the fall.
Shamire was money when guards lined up straight in front of him. No contest.