Offseason - Baseball

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Because he hit .444 in the Covid shortened season and was the 146th overall recruit in his class. Highly rated player who has a ton of talent, but wasn't able to get significant time on his team sounds a lot like JHM. I could very well be wrong, but this is a player that I expect to come in and win a starting job, not sit on the bench and be a reserve.
He hit .444 by getting 12 hits in 11 games in 2020. In 2021 he got a grand total of 9 hits in 50 games. Against us he went 1 for 6. A lot of high rated recruits don't pan out in college. I am sure it is his intent to come to Tech and win a starting job and I hope he does so well he wins it. But to say you expect him to win a starting job, I just don't see it, based on past performance. And we all might have said the same thing about JHM before this year and he obviously exceeded most expectations. Keep in mind JHM had very highly rated players in front of him at Vandy. Whereas, Borden had the 4th lowest batting average on a team that wasn't exactly known for their hitting outside of Henry Davis.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
He hit .444 by getting 12 hits in 11 games in 2020. In 2021 he got a grand total of 9 hits in 50 games. Against us he went 1 for 6. A lot of high rated recruits don't pan out in college. I am sure it is his intent to come to Tech and win a starting job and I hope he does so well he wins it. But to say you expect him to win a starting job, I just don't see it, based on past performance. And we all might have said the same thing about JHM before this year and he obviously exceeded most expectations. Keep in mind JHM had very highly rated players in front of him at Vandy. Whereas, Borden had the 4th lowest batting average on a team that wasn't exactly known for their hitting outside of Henry Davis.
Honestly, the sample size is too small either way that you look at it, but the dude does have some college experience whereas Canpbell is going to be completely new next year. As you said, not all highly rated recruits pan out, so I'm surprised that you're already giving the atarting SS spot to Campbell when he hasn't proven anything at the college level. On the other hand, Borden has had some success and experience against college pitching. It's definitely going to be an interesting battle on the infield next fall because we have 5 guys who could start and will be battling for 3 positions in Compton, Anderson, Borden, Campbell, Simpson, and Jackson with Jenkins probably locked in at 1B.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Most important part of this exercise is having a well balanced roster and creating a competitive environment where every player works for their spot on daily basis. In furtherance of roster building and creating depth, I would expect a catcher and perhaps another arm or two. College baseball as a whole will be way up again this year and a complete roster is the backbone of this program. Good news is that in about six weeks their will be a lot of activity the Rusty C.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Most important part of this exercise is having a well balanced roster and creating a competitive environment where every player works for their spot on daily basis. In furtherance of roster building and creating depth, I would expect a catcher and perhaps another arm or two. College baseball as a whole will be way up again this year and a complete roster is the backbone of this program. Good news is that in about six weeks their will be a lot of activity the Rusty C.

Baseball is so much better than football for determining talent and player competition since there are so many more games.

And apparently baseball players egos aren't crushed like QB egos if they don't start. Or get pulled.

I expect we'll have a great competition in the infield. In past years there has been a lot of experimentation early in the season which has worked out well.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Where are the Catchers? Need a couple...:oops:

I have Cam Turley and Jamie Taylor as SRs next next year. Both have 1 year of eligibility left. Have I missed / forgotten something that they are leaving?

It's the year after with no catchers except one in the 2022 class (Lamar King) that is the concern for me as Parada WILL go next year for big $.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I have Cam Turley and Jamie Taylor as SRs next next year. Both have 1 year of eligibility left. Have I missed / forgotten something that they are leaving?

It's the year after with no catchers except one in the 2022 class (Lamar King) that is the concern for me as Parada WILL go next year for big $.
Pretty sure they both graduated. The roster lists the players in accordance with their baseball eligibility year not their actual academic year. Essentially Turley and Taylor would have to become graduate students in order to return next year.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Taylor and Turley have indeed both graduated and it is my understanding have moved on to careers in the private sector with valuable degrees in hand. We have one freshman all American catcher and one non-roster BP catcher. With Ford signed, we need two transfers asap.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm curious why you are willing to bet Borden starts for us? Last year he batted .220 and only started 8 games for a team that failed to make the tournament. Hardly stats that deserve being written into the starting lineup. My guess is that Campbell starts at SS and Compton at 3B leaving Anderson and Simpson to battle it out at 2B.
I'm not willing to bet anyone but Borden was expected to be the starting 2B for Tha 'Ville next season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Taylor and Turley have indeed both graduated and it is my understanding have moved on to careers in the private sector with valuable degrees in hand. We have one freshman all American catcher and one non-roster BP catcher. With Ford signed, we need two transfers asap.

Both have one year of eligibility left as 2020 was a pass year. But if they have real jobs, makes sense to move on as they wouldn't get drafted high.

Thanks to both!

Jamie Taylor
1626955116824.png

Cam Turley
1626955195449.png

I'd offer to catch, but I can't throw well, hit well or squat like those guys. Plus I don't like getting hit by 90 mph baseballs and bats.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Zac throwing 97 in summer ball. Insane that two are throwing 100. Saw a show "Fastball" (thanks @eokerholm ) where they talked about how over low 90's it is not possible to see and process where the ball is. Have to guess and get lucky. Just insane to be able to hit at all at that speed. Better to hope the pitcher can't throw strikes which works till you are 0-2.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if this is the right place, but Ramsey getting some love and attention.
He needs to stay and be the next Skipper at GT. I sure hope the AD and Alumni or whomever is in charge all agree, when Coach Hall decides to step down.
Ramsey will make an INCREDIBLE head coach at GT or where ever nabs him...

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure if this is the right place, but Ramsey getting some love and attention.
He needs to stay and be the next Skipper at GT. I sure hope the AD and Alumni or whomever is in charge all agree, when Coach Hall decides to step down.
Ramsey will make an INCREDIBLE head coach at GT or where ever nabs him...

I believe that is the plan. I think most all Tech fans would support Ramsey. Has learned from two of the best and brings great energy.