Officiating

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Just got kicked from the Game Chat for calling out the ****ty refs and how they have ****ed us in this game, and really all year. If Coach Collins doesn't call out the ACC refs for how piss poor they are... It has been abysmal all year.
We have been screwed by the ACC ever since we got in the ACC. Whether it's officiating or scheduling or whatever. We had a chance to get in the B1G and poor Tech leadership kept us in the ACC. May as well get used to it. It's not going to change. Three games in a row with bad officiating that seemed biased against us.

South Carolina got out of the ACC, and a big reason was officiating and being the red headed stepchild to the Tobacco Road schools. Not many SC fans were unhappy with getting out of the ACC. We literally took their place.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Wasn't able to watch the game here in Tampa....anyone got some video to share on all these questionable calls?

slugboy

Staff member
Wasn't able to watch the game here in Tampa....anyone got some video to share on all these questionable calls?
I doubt the ACCN digests will include all the calls, or the torrent of profanity and throwing stuff from Collins. There were some flops like you wouldn’t see in soccer or basketball.
There was probably an unsportsmanlike or two from a player making a “learn the &@*#&@(#&ing game, ref” comment—we can’t figure out what some of the calls were.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
20201211_110912.jpg

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

All the calls and non-calls were questionable. The issue was that they threw the flag every time on us on a questionable call, and ate the flag when they could/should have made the equal/opposite call on Pitt.

Example. Sims got knocked out of the game at the very end. Let go of the ball, got hit, the guy wrapped him up and drove him into the ground. No flag.

Earlier, we had a DT penalized when he pulled up from making the hit after the Pitt quarterback released the ball and the DT basically bumped into the QB. No shoulder, no spear, the QB didn't get knocked down (or even off balance). Flag.

At another point in the game, Pitt's QB scrambled towards the sideline. We chased him to the sideline and our DB was pulling up (but still contacted him) as he was going out (not after he went out). The contact was relatively light, the QB didn't go down, we didn't use a shoulder or helmet, or wrap up. Flag.

Just a game that was called one way for Pitt and the exact opposite for us. Same on PI, holding, unsportsmanlike, etc. Just a very bad game for us and the ref's.

Deleted member 2897

I don't care if they threw the game, there was no excuse, none, for Colliins's conduct with the "handshake" after the game. Absolutely sick. If the AD doesn't thump him about it both should be suspended. It was beyond embarrassing for Georgia Tech's fans and graduates.

I mean, I could care less. To each his own. I don’t think he should have done that, but I also don’t think Narduzzi should have acted like that either. His attitude has been snooty before and after the game too. Remember he was one of the guys who used to trash us and say we played dirty in the previous regime. Narduzzi can go **** himself.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We have been screwed by the ACC ever since we got in the ACC. Whether it's officiating or scheduling or whatever. We had a chance to get in the B1G and poor Tech leadership kept us in the ACC. May as well get used to it. It's not going to change. Three games in a row with bad officiating that seemed biased against us.

South Carolina got out of the ACC, and a big reason was officiating and being the red headed stepchild to the Tobacco Road schools. Not many SC fans were unhappy with getting out of the ACC. We literally took their place.
The selection of the next ACC commissioner can change the culture. First I would get the office out of Greensboro. Then tell Notre Dame to either go all in OR get out. The ACC office has been controlled by UNC grads for years. Time to bring the league up to par with other conferences.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't care if they threw the game, there was no excuse, none, for Colliins's conduct with the "handshake" after the game. Absolutely sick. If the AD doesn't thump him about it both should be suspended. It was beyond embarrassing for Georgia Tech's fans and graduates.
Didn’t embarrass me one bit. I think he should’ve called him out.

That’s my only issue. His explanation was weak in my opinion. I think he should’ve called Nardouchie out for ducking like a little biatch the first time and the refs for being absolutely terrible and worn the fine.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
All the calls and non-calls were questionable. The issue was that they threw the flag every time on us on a questionable call, and ate the flag when they could/should have made the equal/opposite call on Pitt.

Example. Sims got knocked out of the game at the very end. Let go of the ball, got hit, the guy wrapped him up and drove him into the ground. No flag.

Earlier, we had a DT penalized when he pulled up from making the hit after the Pitt quarterback released the ball and the DT basically bumped into the QB. No shoulder, no spear, the QB didn't get knocked down (or even off balance). Flag.

At another point in the game, Pitt's QB scrambled towards the sideline. We chased him to the sideline and our DB was pulling up (but still contacted him) as he was going out (not after he went out). The contact was relatively light, the QB didn't go down, we didn't use a shoulder or helmet, or wrap up. Flag.

Just a game that was called one way for Pitt and the exact opposite for us. Same on PI, holding, unsportsmanlike, etc. Just a very bad game for us and the ref's.
The unbalanced nature of the questionable calls was only part of it. There were also some blatantly wrong calls/no calls. There are three that stand out to me. The first was the late hit call as Pickett was running out of bounds. He was clearly still in bounds when he was hit so there should never have been a flag thrown. The other two are the non PI calls in the endzone on our last drive. Bates (the color commentator) was even calling them out so much on those plays that his counterpart had to stop him.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

If that's all it takes to embarrass you, you're in for a long life.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
The unbalanced nature of the questionable calls was only part of it. There were also some blatantly wrong calls/no calls. There are three that stand out to me. The first was the late hit call as Pickett was running out of bounds. He was clearly still in bounds when he was hit so there should never have been a flag thrown. The other two are the non PI calls in the endzone on our last drive. Bates (the color commentator) was even calling them out so much on those plays that his counterpart had to stop him.
There were also at least 5 blatant holds by Pitt's OL that the refs just didn't call. One of them was the guy being held right in front of Pitt's QB and then on that same play they threw a flag against GT for "roughing the passer" when our guy pushed Pickett like half a second after he threw the ball. He didn't hit him high or anything, it was a completely clean hit.

The refs were just straight trash all night, they should all be fired.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
It was like watching an SEC game with Bama playing. We have been screwed over by officiating as long as I've been a Tech fan (2009). I'm so sick of playing 2 teams every Saturday, our opponent and the refs, the amount of ****ty calls that we have had to overcome in the last decade is outright terrible.

Regardless, glad to see some fire from Collins. I think he would win a lot of fans over if he showed some anger at bs like this.