Officiating Was Terrible

• Thread starter Deleted member 4873
  • Start date

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The refs did the one thing that you can't do as a reference. They made themselves a huge part of the game. Live, in real time, they looked inept. $ec refs are also having a horrible year. If they refs on the field makes a bad call, the guys in the office should reverse it. And since all calls are judgement calls any way, no flag no penalty, why can't PI be reviewed. Hit the button and get it right. But we were playing uncheat and they are our conference darlings for whatever reason. Im just glad and can't wait, for the office to leave NC and come to ATL. We gave them a pretty good reason to last night.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
One of my favorite things to do after a solid win against a good opponent is to visit their boards to see what they are saying. Most of it is the same stuff we were saying Northern Illinois, you already know of what I speak. But this from their 247 board right after the TD that got whistled down, they realized it was a bad call…

1632662537329.png

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The first call was correct. No indicator. You might say he dipped, but not like Riq did last time. Also not necessarily "forcible" contact with the crown.

The second call was a textbook forcible launch to a defenseless player. The only thing I can think that would not confirm it is seeing the contact just below head/neck area.

FWIW, I agree. However, the way targeting has been enforced. I've seen it go both ways on plays like either of those. 'Riq's head was lowered (because the blocker shoved him) and there was helmet to helmet contact. That's called targeting more often than not (BS IMHO). The UNC defender absolutely appeared to launch and lead with his helmet. But, to be fair, he went for the upper body, not the head. That is usually called for targeting. But, I'd rather neither of those be called targeting than both. (Or worse, which I'd have expected from those officials, Riq get ejected and UNC get off free.) They were both good hard 'football plays'.

The rule was invented to prevent the kind of intentional head-hunting Saints-bountygate kill-the-QB spearings that you used to see. Not to prevent good hard tackles with incidental helmet bumps, which is how it's being enforced too often.

'They' really need to figure a way to make that rule more objective or consistent. I'm still salty about Gotsis getting ejected against UNC in 2015. That was a perfect form tackle and the QB lowered his head and bumped helmets. To me, intent or the appearance of intent should be part of the equation. Neither of those hits last night looked like an intentional target. Just a defender making a hard hit in the process of the play.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC needs to have some stern discussions with their officiating crews this week.

I watched the second half of Clemson NC State and if anything the officiating in that game might have been worse. NCSt was getting away with murder. On the last drive of regular time, they called a clear false start on NCSt as offsides on Clemson. One of those where the announcers were deep into discussing the ramifications of the false start penalty and then shocked at the call. Turning what should have been a 3rd and 8 out of field goal range into a 1st and 10 that let NCSt run out the clock and try a FG for the win. (NCSt ended up missing the FG which sent it to OT.) Clemson might have gotten the stop and had a chance to win with a FG.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW, I agree. However, the way targeting has been enforced. I've seen it go both ways on plays like either of those. 'Riq's head was lowered (because the blocker shoved him) and there was helmet to helmet contact. That's called targeting more often than not (BS IMHO). The UNC defender absolutely appeared to launch and lead with his helmet. But, to be fair, he went for the upper body, not the head. That is usually called for targeting. But, I'd rather neither of those be called targeting than both. (Or worse, which I'd have expected from those officials, Riq get ejected and UNC get off free.) They were both good hard 'football plays'.

The rule was invented to prevent the kind of intentional head-hunting Saints-bountygate kill-the-QB spearings that you used to see. Not to prevent good hard tackles with incidental helmet bumps, which is how it's being enforced too often.

'They' really need to figure a way to make that rule more objective or consistent. I'm still salty about Gotsis getting ejected against UNC in 2015. That was a perfect form tackle and the QB lowered his head and bumped helmets. To me, intent or the appearance of intent should be part of the equation. Neither of those hits last night looked like an intentional target. Just a defender making a hard hit in the process of the play.
GameDay had a good piece on the targeting rule with a head official from the NCAA office. They were arguing that the ejections can change the game even if the hit was incidental. They also echoed many of the same comments we had with the ball carrier lowering his body/head which is what results in the targeting. I like what the GameDay crew was suggesting and that is to still keep it as is for the defenseless player part of the rule but for the other part to loosen the ejection part of the rule and not eject the player on the first offense. Pollack even agreed and his career was ended on what would have been a targeting hit. It sounds like this year they are doing a review of the rules and targeting will be one they take a hard look at.

They also took a look at a targeting call from the Auburn PennSt game that the head official said was not targeting at all but it was confirmed in the game. This just adds to more reasons to loosen the ejection part.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
So, in addition to weird targeting and PI officiating, I was appalled by the WY the refs kept the flags in their pockets following the unc players plowing through Shannahan multiple times.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
They also "missed" both their tight ends going into motion at the same time right after that ridiculous unnecessary rough was call.... Someone shouldn't get paid to be that bad at their job

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just because we won does not negate the refs made multiple mistakes that were obvious.
This was one of the worst officiated games I’ve seen in years.
Yes, I’m loving this great win but the refs can not be this bad. They-
1. Blew the whistle negating a GT TD.
2. Called a personal foul roughing the kicker penalty running into our kicker costing us possession and a first down.
3. Two pass interference calls in the end zone against UNC that were not called.
That's it? Seems pretty much normal operating procedure for an ACC officiated game involving UNC. Gee, did you really expect an evenly officiated game?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Just because we won does not negate the refs made multiple mistakes that were obvious.
This was one of the worst officiated games I’ve seen in years.
Yes, I’m loving this great win but the refs can not be this bad. They-
1. Blew the whistle negating a GT TD.
2. Called a personal foul roughing the kicker penalty running into our kicker costing us possession and a first down.
3. Two pass interference calls in the end zone against UNC that were not called.
How about the personal foul during one of the sacks? Complete BS

Not to mention none of the refs knowing that Sims scored on his second TD run

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
When we stuffed Howell on that 4th down run I thought for sure we were getting an unnec roughness penalty, thank God they picked up the flag, was about to lose my damn mind! Also hilarious how our guys just dropped him like a sack of potatoes and held their hands up innocently lol
I saw the game in person and watched it on TV twice. On the last look I saw what actually happened on the Howell "drop". He pulled his feet off the ground on purpose just before he was dropped. Maybe he was looking for another roughing penalty call.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
There was one where we threw a pass and the unc defender never turned his head and literally pulled both our WR's arms down... No PI. I'm glad the officiating didn't affect the overall outcome of the game, but we could have had at 1, maybe 2 more TDs if they knew what they were doing.