Officiating Was Terrible

• Thread starter Deleted member 4873
  • Start date

Deleted member 4873

Just because we won does not negate the refs made multiple mistakes that were obvious.
This was one of the worst officiated games I’ve seen in years.
Yes, I’m loving this great win but the refs can not be this bad. They-
1. Blew the whistle negating a GT TD.
2. Called a personal foul roughing the kicker penalty running into our kicker costing us possession and a first down.
3. Two pass interference calls in the end zone against UNC that were not called.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Just because we won does not negate the refs made multiple mistakes that were obvious.
This was one of the worst officiated games I’ve seen in years.
Yes, I’m loving this great win but the refs can not be this bad. They-
1. Blew the whistle negating a GT TD.
2. Called a personal foul roughing the kicker penalty running into our kicker costing us possession and a first down.
3. Two pass interference calls in the end zone against UNC that were not called.
They also missed several false starts on Downs. He was two yards down the field before the ball was snapped on a few plays.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Can someone explain to me how the UNC targeting call was overturned? I pulled up the rule book in the stands and it sure seems like that met all the criteria.

I can't recall a time leaving a 22pt victory while also being salty about terrible officiating.
Not sure.

It should’ve been PI too. I noticed him getting there early in real time. Targeting shouldn’t have mattered.

As for the running into the kicker penalty, the announcer on tv said “if that’s not roughing the kicker, I don’t know what is.”

They said several times how wrong the officials were.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Can someone explain to me how the UNC targeting call was overturned? I pulled up the rule book in the stands and it sure seems like that met all the criteria.

I can't recall a time leaving a 22pt victory while also being salty about terrible officiating.

Watching on TV. There were a couple other plays that looked like ones I've seen reviewed for targeting that weren't looked at. On both sides. They also determined 'no targeting' on the play where GT LB (was it Thomas?) was the aggressor. So, the official reviewing that was just more lenient, I think.

They were letting the teams play pretty physical last night. That aspect of the officiating at least was fairly consistent.

Otherwise it was a mess.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
When we stuffed Howell on that 4th down run I thought for sure we were getting an unnec roughness penalty, thank God they picked up the flag, was about to lose my damn mind! Also hilarious how our guys just dropped him like a sack of potatoes and held their hands up innocently lol
There was a previous unnec roughness call that negated a good play, when Howell was still fighting for yards.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
When we stuffed Howell on that 4th down run I thought for sure we were getting an unnec roughness penalty, thank God they picked up the flag, was about to lose my damn mind! Also hilarious how our guys just dropped him like a sack of potatoes and held their hands up innocently lol
They had to pick that flag up. The play was blown dead and we had their qb in our arms like a toddler after a nightmare. The whistle blows so we had let go of him. Gravity is what made him fall. Js

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
There was a previous unnec roughness call that negated a good play, when Howell was still fighting for yards.
Yeah he was fighting, crowd was loud, and all Griffin did was come push him over it wasn't like he run full tilt into him or lifted him up and threw him down. It was a silly call that hit wasn't violent and the QB hadn't given up at that point either

slugboy

Staff member
They also missed several false starts on Downs. He was two yards down the field before the ball was snapped on a few plays.
He’s just that fast

evan peters run GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Watching on TV. There were a couple other plays that looked like ones I've seen reviewed for targeting that weren't looked at. On both sides. They also determined 'no targeting' on the play where GT LB (was it Thomas?) was the aggressor. So, the official reviewing that was just more lenient, I think.

They were letting the teams play pretty physical last night. That aspect of the officiating at least was fairly consistent.

Otherwise it was a mess.

The first call was correct. No indicator. You might say he dipped, but not like Riq did last time. Also not necessarily "forcible" contact with the crown.

The second call was a textbook forcible launch to a defenseless player. The only thing I can think that would not confirm it is seeing the contact just below head/neck area.