Official Postgame: GT 23-Duke 20

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Maybe...just maybe...we do have the 5th best roster in the ACC according to 247?! We just needed a coach that knew how to coach them up.

Don't look now, but GT is 2nd in the Coastal. Next game against UVA is winnable.

Enjoy the ride GT fans...this winning thing feels pretty darn good...

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Radio announcers were saying that Tech had a lot of heavy guys on the field and not speedsters. Maybe this was an over-reaction to the blocked punts.
From my view in the west stands, the punts with long returns were lower line drives and not the moon shots. The returner had 15 or 20 yard head starts. That’s the trade-off for kicking quickly to avoid the block. IMO

slugboy

Staff member
Hey, looks like a positive opinion:

In one of many clutch plays by Gavin Stewart, Duke won the OT toss, and Stewart said “we’re gonna play down on the end with the band and our rowdy students”.

Oh, here’s another one:

Punter can control the "hang time" and give up distance. Angle out of bounds is also a good option. Just depends on which one you have the most confidence.

Yeah, it was not a banner day for our punt team. 40 yard punt into the end zone (on 4th and 1 on Duke's side of the field), punt returned for an ?85? yard TD according to the announcers, and a second big return after the first.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
It's really a testament to what changes Key has made that the team persisted through the urge to fall into that Collins wait-for-something-to-go-wrong/loser/victim mentality culture when the whole crowd was still stuck in it at the end.

But I will give the crowd some props because we nailed the extra credit question on Duke's OT possession. For 58 minutes, there was a different energy in the stadium. We have had a very long drought of those moments of catharsis - the redzone INT, the 4th down stop, missed field goal. I hope everyone enjoyed the return of those and is ready for many more the next 2 months. I know I will remember this game for a long time.