Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I’m fine with Key. I don’t think you can realistically be confident that Fritz or Chadwell would have any better chance of leading us to an ACC title than Key would.

Key could just be a fan and probably would want a Georgia Tech national championship more than every person on this board. You can see it in his interviews. There’s some definite value in that. Key has a deep seated passion for the Institute.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Hope he proves me wrong, but I don’t think Key is the answer. He won games by being conservative/risk aversed which coincided with our defense having a fantastic year forcing turnovers. I’m not sure we get so lucky on turnovers in future seasons. But hope Key grows into the role and we have a great coach for decades to come.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
He was not my first choice, but he won me over. And it has nothing to do with the wins and losses. In one week after he took over, the team genuinely looked like it had a totally different culture. And I don’t necessarily think the former guy had created a toxic culture… Just maybe a complacent one. Keys post game interviews just oozed pride in the job he was given and love for the school and team. I am extremely happy for him, and I know he will see this as a personal challenge for his alma mater, and not just a résumé builder.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Right after Gibbs.

"Hello? Jahmyr...yeah, you heard. Thanks. Listen, I'm going to be making some changes...yeah...how many carries would you want per game...?"

Gibbs can't go anywhere (D1) without sitting out a year.

But I bet Nate Stays!!! :buzz::buzz::buzz::buzz::buzz::buzz::buzz::buzz::buzz::buzz::buzz::buzz::buzz:

I'm going to contribute more to Athletics based on this. I was pissy when I thought it was Fritz. Key is the right guy.

***Have to see the Key contract details****!!!!!!

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
GT better be glad Key really wants this job. Most folks don't take well to being the "oh well" choice. Whatever, let's see how he changes the staff. Go Jackets!!!!

How do you know he was a fallback?

Key knew a coaching search was ongoing AND that he was INTERIM coach. That's about as clear as it gets. I am sure they did not tell him if they offered another coach and said coach declined. Key didn't need to know and he shouldn't care honestly.

Same for all of us. A position comes up, we interview, we know its been open for a while, we might be fifth choice, but there would be no way to know (usually) and if we really wanted the job, we shouldn't care if we were first or tenth offered the position.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let's hire Willy Korn and make him OC/WR coach.

Someone on here mentioned that Key was pushing for Zach Kittley (at Western Kentucky at the time, now at Texas Tech) before we hired Long. If you want a clue on what type of OC Key would hire, maybe that's a clue.

Personally, I'd love an offense that uses option concepts, but it's not main component in the offense.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not excited or disappointed. It has the feel of a meh hire. Could be better, could be worse. I will now transition to a CBK fan and HOPE a change in scheme/OC/DC excites me, that or pleasant surprises in recruiting.

At least the CGC chapter is now closed. We still have a coach from that staff, which is a worry. Hopefully CBK the head man will be free of the CGC taint. I might actually watch a full game next fall out of curiosity.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m fine with Key. I don’t think you can realistically be confident that Fritz or Chadwell would have any better chance of leading us to an ACC title than Key would.

Key could just be a fan and probably would want a Georgia Tech national championship more than every person on this board. You can see it in his interviews. There’s some definite value in that. Key has a deep seated passion for the Institute.

Agreed. There is something to be said (that I don't know that we value here enough) for the intangibles. It's not so much that he's a "Tech man" - that seems like an old, outdated way of looking at it through loyalty, rather than merit.

Instead, it's that he can speak with heart about Tech. About what it means to be a Jacket. About what it took to build the program we have, and its long-standing traditions. He feels those things, because he was a student here. He played for us. His professional career was forged here. And he worked hard as a player to leave his mark on the program, and leave it in a better place than it was when he got here.

Winning isn't just about talent - it's about will. I think Key has talent. But he's also shown he has the will, and it's heightened being here at the place that means a lot to him. I think he'll continue to get the best out of his players, because he's not just a coach - he's a leader who cares about the Institute, and what it means to be here. It's powerful stuff. And there's a value to that.

The more I think about this, the more positive I am. And the more I wonder if he was a later choice, or if the AD's office has been getting through interviews until sitting down and laying all the cards on the table. I'm hopeful of the latter.

Either way, looking forward to what's next.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
There is a lot to be said for Key.He showed he can turn lemons into lemonade on the fly which is NO SMALL feat.Only time will tell if he can gets us back in a constant winning tradition. Next yr will be tough with some KEY guys gone(no pun) and no surprise factor.
also-hope he fits our budget and we can get top asst coaches and NIL $..
Congrats,Bro.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I’m not excited about this hire. In my mind, he better get a great OC very fast.

I am rooting for him, but I still don’t see superior HC material with BK.

GT football is in dire straits & old boy network got what they wanted.

PS. Didn’t need to pay a search firm for this hire.
I’ve always enjoyed your posts, but here, I disagree.

Tech today needs … stability. I think the Tech community will support this. And that is half the battle. If Key can get Tech to 7 wins … that’s a huge step forward.