Official: Brent Key is Georgia Tech Football's Head Coach

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wrote this in another thread, but I'll repost here. I think in the end GT fans will be glad Key got the job and not the flavor of the year.

Mea Culpa: I was not a fan of Brent Key when it was announced he was coming "home" to coach the OL and be an assistant head coach. After 3+ years of subpar OL play, and poor recruiting at his position + development at his position of coaching, I would have been happy if they pushed him out the door along with Collins. When it was announced he was interim coach, I was very suspect.

I'm saying that to preface something:

What are we doing here? What's the point in all of this?

I'm not saying this because Brent Key won one game and it's an emotional response to that win. I'm asking fellow GT fans a genuine question.

I keep reading if Brent Key goes 6-2 or if he goes 8-0 Key should get a complimentary interview but he shouldn't be our next coach. GT needs to clean house and bring in someone with a better name.

Have we lost the plot? The point of this is to win. Period. It's not to win press conferences, or brag to your buddy at school/at work/at the bar that we got Coach Prime/UGA's top recruiter/whatever hot name if floating out there. It's about winning.

It is VERY hard to win at GT. It's even harder to sustain that winning. Do fans understand how difficult a situation Brent Key is in? He just took a group of players and coaches that just had their worlds turned upside down, cleaned up a LOT of what got us in this situation, went on the road, and beat a ranked team with less than a week to to prepare.

Pitt currently has the #10 Defensive FEI in the nation, #18 DFEI last season. We just scored more points on them than any other FBS opponent we played this season. We kept them to the lowest points scored against us than any other FBS school. Think about that.

Like I said above, this is just one game. You can't extrapolate too much from this, because GT can easily revert to how we've been playing for the last 3+ years. However, if the first game is any indication, and we keep getting better, and keep winning...say go 6-2 or (this is crazy) go 8-0...well, ladies and gentleman, with all due respect, Brent Key should be our head coach going forward. I never thought I would say that. Oh, and our special teams looked night and day different from what we've seen the past 3+ years...that was amazing in itself.

Isn't the point of all this to WIN?! GT (the fans and school) would be crazy to let a coach who's proved himself under trying circumstance leave to chase some hot name that hasn't proven they can win at GT. You know what I saw when they interviewed Key at halftime and after the game? A coach that sounded like George O'Leary/Ralph Friedgen/Nick Saban. Direct, to the point on what we needed to do, and someone who sounded like they knew what needed to be done to get the team to play better...not a cheerleader.

Key is also a guy that lives and breathes GT. You could tell that what's happening with GT these 3+ years ate at him. That interview with him after the game looked like he finally got good news that someone he loved just came out of surgery successfully after battling a disease for 3+ years.

IF (big if) Key goes 6-2 and we go to a bowl game, there really isn't a question anymore. If there is, it's because some people think it's more important to win press conferences.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm sure I wasn't my wife's first choice, but here we are keeping each other laughing 45 yrs later.....Coach Key will put being second of third or fourth choice behind him (Fritz, O'Brien, Chadwell) , and I look forward to CBK turning the never ending Collins Chapter once and for all. Go Jackets!

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like DK isn't going to comme back. Already has better offers :( Too bad..
His father posted on another board that DK felt like he was not given a fair shake by the staff. Was named second string behind Charlie Thomas, but did not start or play when he was benched for the targeting call. Was asked to teach Tatum, but then played behind him.