Offensive Transition at Nebraska (4-8) last year

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Bull........just more excuses to set the bar low. Rather comical seeing all the kool aid drinkers walk back all the chest puffing from a few months ago.

I'm not a kool aid drinker. I'm fairly certain most here know that I was an ardent CPJ supporter, and I count myself firmly in the wait and see camp with regards to CGC. The difference is that I am able to still support CGC and also realistically set expectations at a reasonable level.

Let's think about it this way. I'm fairly certain that TStan knows more about CFB than I do, and also knows the GT programs current abilities better than I do. I also trust that he has the best interest of the program in mind. That same TStan gave an unusual 7 year contract to CGC because he is fully aware that there is likely to be some growing pains in the first few seasons.

You don't reply with facts, and usually couch your argument in emotion. I may not be drinking the kool aid, but I'm not guzzling the vinegar you are either...

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Bull........just more excuses to set the bar low. Rather comical seeing all the kool aid drinkers walk back all the chest puffing from a few months ago.

upload_2019-6-18_20-44-27.gif

Suckin back on grandpa's old cough medicine?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So we are supposed to set the bar low for a new coach? Sorry......I don't see it that way....... .500 ball is the least that show be expected (barring a large amount of injuries) Seems the expectations of the new coach from the kool aid drinkers keeps getting lower and lower.

Thanks for calling out those unnamed mantra eating minions.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
My first assumption is that CGC has shown he can coach up a defense from his experience at UF and Miss St. If this assumption is correct, I assume an improved defense from last year.

My second assumption is that the coaching staff has several talented QBs and will select the best as the starter. The scheme change will likely have significant growing pains. I assume a drop off in offensive production but again, should improve during the season as the starting QB becomes comfortable in the new O.

I know many do not agree with my assumptions.

My opinion is to set the bar at 6-6. If less, I will be disappointed, if more I will be elated.

Whether I am drinking kool-aid or vinegar, how great it would be to end the season with a win over the Dawgs on a bad call.

Wow, it seems every thread comes down to a CPJ versus CGC fight from various supporters. As I have said I loved CPJ and felt he took us to a new level. But he has moved on and now I can't wait to see what we do next. As for this season, yes defense is going to be a big issue. Losing big B was not just a travesty but if you go back and watch last year, he was very disruptive. Linebacker lets see. I do think we will have a very good secondary. Kicking and punting will be solid and our return game may be special. As far as the schedule, yep I see Clemson, UVA, and UGA as losses. Just being realistic. But Citadel, USF,UNC, NC State, Duke, Pitt, Temple and Va Tech are wins. Miami may be a fire.

As far as Offense, they aren't stupid and we will run the ball maybe 65% of the time. Oliver will be the starter at QB. I think our receivers will surprise and Nate Cotrell will ball out this year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I see Citadel and Temple as wins, ugag and clem losses, the rest of these games are tossups, i’m hoping like heck for 6-6, steady improvement throughout the season, then a bowl win for positive momentum.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My first assumption is that CGC has shown he can coach up a defense from his experience at UF and Miss St. If this assumption is correct, I assume an improved defense from last year.

My second assumption is that the coaching staff has several talented QBs and will select the best as the starter. The scheme change will likely have significant growing pains. I assume a drop off in offensive production but again, should improve during the season as the starting QB becomes comfortable in the new O.

I know many do not agree with my assumptions.

My opinion is to set the bar at 6-6. If less, I will be disappointed, if more I will be elated.

Whether I am drinking kool-aid or vinegar, how great it would be to end the season with a win over the Dawgs on a bad call.

In fairness, it would be difficult for the D NOT to improve. That being said, CGC does have a track record of defensive success, so if we can make significant gains 6-6 is possible. The biggest issue to me is that this is scheme change 3 in 3 years.

It would be a fairly significant development if our offense merely stayed the same, much less improved. GT almost always fielded a top 20 offense in terms of efficiency, so again, expect a significant backwards step here. I know we have talented QBS, but the fact remains that none had P5 offers other than GT at QB. We will be running the same offense as competing schools with QBs they determined weren't best suited for running this offense. (Exception being Yates, who though he had no other P5 offers, ended up as a 4* Dual Threat QB)

The article posted in this thread is a great example. Nebraska recruits well and had great athletes on the roster when Frost took over. They have historically been a top 25 recruiting team, and their lowest recent years were ranked 31st and 32nd. Even with top athletes, scheme changes are hard. Frost went 4-8 with better rated athletes against a much easier schedule than we will face next year. I just think that there is a significant reason all these experts keep predicting 3-4 wins, and setting an arbitrary bar at .500 ball as a baseline flies in the face of facts and logic.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have no expectations for this season. Or at least, I'm trying not to have any. The first year for a new coach is usually bizarro; moments of 'oh my god did that just happen?' good and bad.

But as far as the Offense transition. I feel like it's overblown. The lazy narrative from the national media is that we're basically bringing in the lacrosse team to play football. That we lack any players who know how to throw or catch a football.

In 2013 CPJ incorporated a lot of elements of the kind of offense we're talking about- shotgun/pistol, more receivers, more passing. He installed it over one offseason, while remaining committed to the 3O as the base offense. We had a decent amount of success running plays out of it. I question the idea that, with an offseason fully focused on it, our players and coaches can't install a new offense and run it at a decent level.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have no expectations for this season. Or at least, I'm trying not to have any. The first year for a new coach is usually bizarro; moments of 'oh my god did that just happen?' good and bad.

But as far as the Offense transition. I feel like it's overblown. The lazy narrative from the national media is that we're basically bringing in the lacrosse team to play football. That we lack any players who know how to throw or catch a football.

In 2013 CPJ incorporated a lot of elements of the kind of offense we're talking about- shotgun/pistol, more receivers, more passing. He installed it over one offseason, while remaining committed to the 3O as the base offense. We had a decent amount of success running plays out of it. I question the idea that, with an offseason fully focused on it, our players and coaches can't install a new offense and run it at a decent level.
Nice post.
In 93 sons hs team almost made it to texas semi finals while running the power i and the air raid. Qb was under center and in gun . We had a very good right side ol , a div 1 rb, and qb w 2 wr that could read coverage.
I think we will be ok in first 2 but am worried the opponent's coverage will be camouflaged past our ability to recognize.

I hope u are right and we are credible.

I know and accept there will be, as you said , moments of "did that just happen".

However::: Please, please, please come on offseason strength and team hustle training . Please cause some really positive plays !!!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Vad Lee was a different kind of QB than what we have on our rosters today. VL was being recruited by other P5 schools as a QB. He completed 47% that year for a little over 1400 yards. I'm not sure I'd call that very successful. Other than the last 2 years under TM and the first year under JmfN, it's one of our least successful passing campaigns. I'm not saying we're dragging the lacrosse team out there, but ask yourself this: other than Yates, what QBs on our roster would CGC have recruited to GT as a QB? I think LJ can succeed if he stays healthy, as I think he was undervalued during his recruiting. I think Graham is athletic enough to succeed somewhat. I think our best bet is to let LJ/Yates run with it and move Oliver and Graham to other positions.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Anything less than 6-6 will not only be disappointing, but should also place CGC on the hot seat. There is absolutely no reason win less than 6 games this year.

It’s his first year in a complete offensive overhaul. He’s got a 7 year deal and we spent our reserve fund paying off the last staff. I’m not sure you understand how hot seats work. He could go 1-11 and have one of the cooler seats in the country.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Exactly nothing should be read into this year's results, if they are negative.

CPJ was an X's and O's whiz, who succeeded by getting more out of less. You could judge his early results more, because his road to success didn't involve great recruiting, it involved a great scheme.

CGC is not the same. He's a salesman, first and foremost, and his road to success involves sustained improved recruiting. You knew this when you hired him, and so he should be allowed to succeed or fail based upon what you hired him to do.

To ask him to be CPJ instead of being CGC is unfair, and frankly unproductive to your program. If he's going to sell, you have to give him something to sell, and a second-guessing, uncommitted fanbase isn't an easy sell. You guys need to be rah rah, at least for a couple years, whether you love what you see on the field or not.

Winning by recruiting takes longer than winning by scheme. That's what you guys signed on for, so that's what you have to plan for, and not be disappointed by.

If he gives you something scheme-wise, that's bonus. Just like anything you got recruiting Wise by CPJ was bonus. (I remain genuinely salty that I will never get to see Yates play for Coach Johnson).

Collins is not my cup of tea, but you can win like that. If you guys want to win though, you need to produce an environment conducive to winning like that, and that means essentially being willing to write off the next two years.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It's not at all inconsistent to be enthusiastic about our long term future but expect struggles in the immediate term. I agree with much of what @ilovetheoption says above. CGC's plan for winning is recruiting plus development of talent, both of which can take time to see the full results.

I do think we can have a surprisingly decent season this year, but I'm not going to be angry if we don't.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

CPJ was an X's and O's whiz, who succeeded by getting more out of less. You could judge his early results more, because his road to success didn't involve great recruiting, it involved a great scheme.

CGC is not the same. He's a salesman, first and foremost, and his road to success involves sustained improved recruiting. You knew this when you hired him, and so he should be allowed to succeed or fail based upon what you hired him to do.

To ask him to be CPJ instead of being CGC is unfair, and frankly unproductive to your program. If he's going to sell, you have to give him something to sell, and a second-guessing, uncommitted fanbase isn't an easy sell. You guys need to be rah rah, at least for a couple years, whether you love what you see on the field or not.

Winning by recruiting takes longer than winning by scheme. That's what you guys signed on for, so that's what you have to plan for, and not be disappointed by.

If he gives you something scheme-wise, that's bonus. Just like anything you got recruiting Wise by CPJ was bonus. (I remain genuinely salty that I will never get to see Yates play for Coach Johnson).

Collins is not my cup of tea, but you can win like that. If you guys want to win though, you need to produce an environment conducive to winning like that, and that means essentially being willing to write off the next two years.
We had an oc head coach who had a scheme no one else had. Once he found a weakness it was over.

Cgc seems more like a team building head coach who is 100% hands on in recruiting. I think he will be closely watching each of his assistants to make corrections that improve their efforts.
Getting people to work together and do their very best is 75% sales. He has laid out some high expectations for staff and players and he leads by example.

I hope the oc and dc hires get a big raise in 3 years.

I know Andy hoped to stay and help in recruiting but its obvious that the chief recruiter is our hc .

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

First of all welcome back Cav-man! Great post, though i would argue that Collins is not just a salesman, his past coaching results with defense could indicate that he can make a big difference scheme-wise on that side of the ball

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
First of all welcome back Cav-man! Great post, though i would argue that Collins is not just a salesman, his past coaching results with defense could indicate that he can make a big difference scheme-wise on that side of the ball

Almost every HC has something he excelled at, and generally speaking, the team takes the nature of the HC specialty. Under CPJ, it was the offense. I expect to see GT become known more for its defenses during the CGC years. That's not to say that we won't field good offenses, I just think that our identity will become more defense oriented.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Excellent summation. I agree wholeheartedly.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Win 'em all or loose 'em all, my big rear end will still bleed white and gold. We've been in the valley and on the mountain top.

CGC is has been given full rein of a program that IS a sleeping giant. The funding will come. The support staff will be hired. The atmosphere will keep charging up. It might not be this year, but we could shock people very soon. We can't complain about how our schedule changes from year to year, it's always gonna be tough with uga and Clempson. But we will beat them still. We did it with smaller, lesser rated players. So what the difference now? Top 30 recruiting is nowhere near top 5. Development is the key word. Star ratings are just projections, potential and possibility.

2014 was an amazing year in which 1 loss would have been 1 too many. But, why does it seem soooooo long ago?