Offensive Transition at Nebraska (4-8) last year

Deleted member 2897

This is a good article on the offensive transition at Nebraska done by Scott Frost. I think these changes are very likely to be done by us, as they incorporate a lot of option plays. https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...ost-is-building-a-prolific-offense-in-lincoln .

It’s also interesting to note their record in making this transition.

Well, he matched the year they had before he was hired. I think most of us would be happy if we rolled into the Georgia game this year at 7-4, matching what we did last year at that point.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Assistant coach pay
Nebraska ranked #18
Gt ranked #50.

What will make us happier is more $ for coaches.
Here's hoping they get pay raises.

Not sure why we feel we should be competitive w the lowest paid coaches.

Nebraska has 3 times our donations and ticket sales.

But we are trying to improve.
Go Jackets

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well, he matched the year they had before he was hired. I think most of us would be happy if we rolled into the Georgia game this year at 7-4, matching what we did last year at that point.

Nebraska's SoS last year was 41st. Our SoS this year is 23rd. Not really sure matching a previous years record is a useful indicator as to how successful a transition is.

Also, they lost to Troy last year. Transitioning an offense is tough. We need to be prepared to be patient with CGC. A 4 win season could be a very realistic scenario for us this season.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Nebraska's SoS last year was 41st. Our SoS this year is 23rd. Not really sure matching a previous years record is a useful indicator as to how successful a transition is.

Also, they lost to Troy last year. Transitioning an offense is tough. We need to be prepared to be patient with CGC. A 4 win season could be a very realistic scenario for us this season.

We also lost 7 starters on defense, plus Adams. Collins is not impressed with the talent and depth on that side of the ball. Expect freshmen to get OJT--and make mistakes. It's going to take time to turn this thing around, and the schedules for 2019 and 2020 are tough.

Deleted member 2897

We also lost 7 starters on defense, plus Adams. Collins is not impressed with the talent and depth on that side of the ball. Expect freshmen to get OJT--and make mistakes. It's going to take time to turn this thing around, and the schedules for 2019 and 2020 are tough.

In my humble opinion, we lost 4 meaningful starters. We lost 2 other starters where we will get an upgrade, and we lost a few others who were sporadic starters at best.

4 meaningful: Branch, Cerge-H, JalenJ, ASA
2 others where we'll upgrade: Rivera, Mitchell (I mean no ill-will against those guys, but IIWII)

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’ve gone back and forth with myself on this. I watched a few Nebraska games and while the record was bad, there was a lot of positives about what they put out there, plus the buzz around the program up here in the midwest is they’re a year away from being damn good. I would be ok with a similar path this year. No I don’t accept mediocrity or losing but there’s always a “good” way to lose. I think we can make a bowl with what we have to work with but I’m not gonna jump off a bride is we are under .500. It it’s a losing season I can deal with it if we’re competitive and look like we’re improving.
To me, Nebraska last year very well could be us this year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

While all of this is true, our defense was abysmal last year. If we only win 3-4 games, defense will most likely not be the biggest culprit. It's our moving to a non-option offense with mostly option athletes that will be the issue. I mean, even IF we ran flexbone TO plays a majority of the time, the chances we'd be as good at it under CDP vs CPJ are slim to begin with. We will live and die on our O this year. The most likely way I see us winning more than 5 games in 2019 is IF CGC and Thacker work miracles year one on the defensive side and we start holding teams to less than 20 a game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
In my humble opinion, we lost 4 meaningful starters. We lost 2 other starters where we will get an upgrade, and we lost a few others who were sporadic starters at best.

4 meaningful: Branch, Cerge-H, JalenJ, ASA
2 others where we'll upgrade: Rivera, Mitchell (I mean no ill-will against those guys, but IIWII)

Mitchell is probably the most maligned starter on our D. He was much better than a lot of us give him credit for. Scheme had more to do with his production woes than talent.

Animal02

Banned

Anything less than 6-6 will not only be disappointing, but should also place CGC on the hot seat. There is absolutely no reason win less than 6 games this year.

Deleted member 2897

Anything less than 6-6 will not only be disappointing, but should also place CGC on the hot seat. There is absolutely no reason win less than 6 games this year.

giphy.gif

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Dude, you need to can it with this kind of garbage. I was, and continue to be, as big a CPJ supporter as anyone on this board, but I can name you plenty of reasons why we shouldn't be expected to win more than 4 games this year. We are completely changing offensive schemes without a QB on the roster that was recruited to the new scheme. We have a surplus of RBs (former ABs) who don't fit in the new offense we are running. We lost our best OL to transfer and the rest of the OL has to learn a completely new blocking scheme. We have a fairly brutal schedule and our defense likely won't improve fast enough to make up the lost ground on offense. Every major publication and website that follows CFB is predicting us to win between 3-5 games. Yes, the experts were often wrong about GT in the past, but that had a lot to do with CPJ being able to outscheme opponents when the competition was close to even with us. CGC will not be on a hot seat unless we enter year 4 without any signs of progress, or if we truly tank and only win two or three games TOTAL in his first two years, which I see as highly unlikely. You can keep griping about it, but it won't change the facts.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Dude, you need to can it with this kind of garbage. I was, and continue to be, as big a CPJ supporter as anyone on this board, but I can name you plenty of reasons why we shouldn't be expected to win more than 4 games this year. We are completely changing offensive schemes without a QB on the roster that was recruited to the new scheme. We have a surplus of RBs (former ABs) who don't fit in the new offense we are running. We lost our best OL to transfer and the rest of the OL has to learn a completely new blocking scheme. We have a fairly brutal schedule and our defense likely won't improve fast enough to make up the lost ground on offense. Every major publication and website that follows CFB is predicting us to win between 3-5 games. Yes, the experts were often wrong about GT in the past, but that had a lot to do with CPJ being able to outscheme opponents when the competition was close to even with us. CGC will not be on a hot seat unless we enter year 4 without any signs of progress, or if we truly tank and only win two or three games TOTAL in his first two years, which I see as highly unlikely. You can keep griping about it, but it won't change the facts.
I think we’ll continue to be better on O than D regardless of the scheme change. We have a stable off good and maybe great qb’s who all played in a similar O in hs. Yates is practically tailor made for this O.

We also have a stable of good and possibly great runningbacks including a freshman phenom.

We will surely miss Parker (recruiting battle lost) but pass blocking is easy to teach and learn if have good coach (and we have the best) and time to focus on it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think we’ll continue to be better on O than D regardless of the scheme change. We have a stable off good and maybe great qb’s who all played in a similar O in hs. Yates is practically tailor made for this O.

We also have a stable of good and possibly great runningbacks including a freshman phenom.

We will surely miss Parker (recruiting battle lost) but pass blocking is easy to teach and learn if have good coach (and we have the best) and time to focus on it.

Not to knock our QBs, but none of them, save James Graham, had a P5 offer besides GT, and Grahams offers were as an ATH, not as a QB. Yates was a true steal of a QB who we wrapped up early, which most likely prevented him from receiving other P5 offers, and will be phenomenal in the new O, but he will be a true freshman this year. Few T-Fr QBs are capable of being game changers, and even fewer when the entire offense will be in transition.

Now, are our QBs talented? Sure. Are they capable of running the new O? Most likely. It still remains that while they might be capable of running the O, they aren't best fits for the O. Other than Graham/Yates, it's doubtful CGC would have recruited the others to GT as QBs.

As for RBs, it's more of the same. Few of our RBs had P5 offers other than GT, and while Griffin may be a phenom, he's still going to be a T-FR. (Though it's much easier T-FR RBs than T-FR QBs)

We can debate about the OL, but it's still a group that will be part of the overall transition. I agree that CBK is one of the best, but it's still a transition.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
So, a lot of people seem to think CPJ gets little to no credit for an much bigger change in scheme, due to one good recruiting class by his predecessor. Go figure.
He beat ugag going into a gun fight with a knife----his FIRST year. CGC doesn't expect, want, or deserve a bigger pass than CPJ got his first year.

If CGC matches CPJs first two years, then we have something (especially considering the schedule). This biz about CGC has a far far greater hurdle to climb though is embarrassing to him and his staff. Look, the 2021 season will speak volumes. I for one think it might be loud in the right way. Ross said, give him some time---I agree. Ross also delivered in his 3rd year. Again, 2021 will speak directly to the hypesters and the wait and see crowd. Should be a fun ride.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not to knock our QBs, but none of them, save James Graham, had a P5 offer besides GT, and Grahams offers were as an ATH, not as a QB. Yates was a true steal of a QB who we wrapped up early, which most likely prevented him from receiving other P5 offers, and will be phenomenal in the new O, but he will be a true freshman this year. Few T-Fr QBs are capable of being game changers, and even fewer when the entire offense will be in transition.

Now, are our QBs talented? Sure. Are they capable of running the new O? Most likely. It still remains that while they might be capable of running the O, they aren't best fits for the O. Other than Graham/Yates, it's doubtful CGC would have recruited the others to GT as QBs.

As for RBs, it's more of the same. Few of our RBs had P5 offers other than GT, and while Griffin may be a phenom, he's still going to be a T-FR. (Though it's much easier T-FR RBs than T-FR QBs)

We can debate about the OL, but it's still a group that will be part of the overall transition. I agree that CBK is one of the best, but it's still a transition.
The D front 7 doesn’t have the horses but maybe the new coaches are miracle workers. The O is much better positioned to make the transition. Remember, the new scheme is way simpler to master and doesn’t require perfectly executed blocks, reads, spacing and timing like the old O.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Assistant coach pay
Nebraska ranked #18
Gt ranked #50.

What will make us happier is more $ for coaches.
Here's hoping they get pay raises.

Not sure why we feel we should be competitive w the lowest paid coaches.

Nebraska has 3 times our donations and ticket sales.

But we are trying to improve.
Go Jackets

Yet we improved, or equaled, in the areas of OC, DC, OL, DL, Specialty Teams Coach, DB coaching.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The D front 7 doesn’t have the horses but maybe the new coaches are miracle workers. The O is much better positioned to make the transition. Remember, the new scheme is way simpler to master and doesn’t require perfectly executed blocks, reads, spacing and timing like the old O.

The new scheme lives and dies on QB play. That's why UL had two good years with LJ at the reigns and immediately took a nose dive afterwards. That's also why I think we'll be running the ball a lot the first year or two until Yates develops.