Offensive Line Transition

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm so sorry, mods.

Tom Herman had some interesting insight into Parker Braun's transition from Tech's offense to Texas' "spread offense" at the Big 12 Media Days. In my mind, the comments are rather revealing as to how our OL might have to transition this year.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...er-braun-tom-herman-texas-longhorns-herb-hand

Of particular note would be these quotes from Tom Herman himself:

"...the things he was being taught and asked to do are completely different than a conventional offense like ours"

(Parker missed Spring, so he only has four weeks of practice with the team prior to the first game) "It’s like trying to learn another language in four weeks. I don’t know if they have a Rosetta Stone for spread offense or whatever."

“We know that the physical tools are there,” Herman said. “It’s the technique and fundamentals that he’s going to have to learn very, very quickly. We hope he’s able to pick that up.”

Personally, I feel like there are more analogs between Parker's transition and the transition of our own OL than meet the eye. Herb Hand is UT's OL coach and has been a finalist for the offensive line coach of the year three times by Football Scoop, and has a salary of $650k; Brent Key was at least a finalist for the same award in 2018 although I can't find more data than that, and has a salary of $600k. Having watched Texas last year, I expect our offense will look very similar to the Sam Ehlinger sling it or battering ram them style that beat uga in the Sugar Bowl. The author even describes UT's offense as a "pro spread attack" which seems remarkably similar to comments made by Geoff Collins.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think that tells us anything since he hasn't even seen Parker in practice. Just stating the obvious about run/scoop blocking vs pass protection

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
To put this another way, Parker (and our remaining guys) will have to adjust to smaller splits and working more with other OLs for pass blocking. Run blocking? Not so difficult an animal, the plays will be simpler and so will figuring out your assignment.

I can see how someone who hasn't seen him practice would make a mountain out of this particular molehill, but I doubt either Parker or our returning OLs will have much trouble with the adjustments for pass blocking. Again, shotgun blocking simplifies the picture considerable. There's little scooping or brush blocking to get to a downfield block. You pick a zone and you block whoever is in it. Same with pass blocking; there's a lot less play action and the splits are smaller.

Well, we'll know soon enough about all this. No doubt thee will be some muscle memory problems at first; I doubt that Key will be able to stop OLs from cut blocking as much as they are used to at first. But the real problem is the footwork on pass blocking. Or something else nobody has anticipated. Nothing, I think, we can't work out of with a little game experience.

Now, the DL … that's another story.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I did not realize he graduated without a redshirt year. He could play 4 games and then redshirt to keep a full 5th year.
With tutoring and summer school our sharp guys can graduate in 3 year.

Parker ran off field at the end of oil change *** whipping, will start and will do great at Texas.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
To put this another way, Parker (and our remaining guys) will have to adjust to smaller splits and working more with other OLs for pass blocking. Run blocking? Not so difficult an animal, the plays will be simpler and so will figuring out your assignment.

I can see how someone who hasn't seen him practice would make a mountain out of this particular molehill, but I doubt either Parker or our returning OLs will have much trouble with the adjustments for pass blocking. Again, shotgun blocking simplifies the picture considerable. There's little scooping or brush blocking to get to a downfield block. You pick a zone and you block whoever is in it. Same with pass blocking; there's a lot less play action and the splits are smaller.

Well, we'll know soon enough about all this. No doubt thee will be some muscle memory problems at first; I doubt that Key will be able to stop OLs from cut blocking as much as they are used to at first. But the real problem is the footwork on pass blocking. Or something else nobody has anticipated. Nothing, I think, we can't work out of with a little game experience.

Now, the DL … that's another story.

I don't think I understand how you're being dismissive of Herman's comments. You dismiss them seemingly because he hasn't seen him practice, but neither have you. Herman gave Parker one of only 85 scholarships, so obviously he has faith in the guy, but his concerns are also legit.

Also, Texas ONLY runs out of the gun. Against uga with one yard to the endzone they ran it four consecutive times from the gun. If your statement is true, that shotgun blocking simplifies the picture considerably, Herman should be able to take that into account himself.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm so sorry, mods.

Tom Herman had some interesting insight into Parker Braun's transition from Tech's offense to Texas' "spread offense" at the Big 12 Media Days. In my mind, the comments are rather revealing as to how our OL might have to transition this year.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...er-braun-tom-herman-texas-longhorns-herb-hand

Of particular note would be these quotes from Tom Herman himself:

"...the things he was being taught and asked to do are completely different than a conventional offense like ours"

(Parker missed Spring, so he only has four weeks of practice with the team prior to the first game) "It’s like trying to learn another language in four weeks. I don’t know if they have a Rosetta Stone for spread offense or whatever."

“We know that the physical tools are there,” Herman said. “It’s the technique and fundamentals that he’s going to have to learn very, very quickly. We hope he’s able to pick that up.”

Personally, I feel like there are more analogs between Parker's transition and the transition of our own OL than meet the eye. Herb Hand is UT's OL coach and has been a finalist for the offensive line coach of the year three times by Football Scoop, and has a salary of $650k; Brent Key was at least a finalist for the same award in 2018 although I can't find more data than that, and has a salary of $600k. Having watched Texas last year, I expect our offense will look very similar to the Sam Ehlinger sling it or battering ram them style that beat uga in the Sugar Bowl. The author even describes UT's offense as a "pro spread attack" which seems remarkably similar to comments made by Geoff Collins.

I would say a big difference is the expectations. I think most would be happy with a bowl game. The UT fanbase is thinking playoffs/natty.

I'm more worried about DT than OL. We only have a 2 deep on the roster, much less whether they can play.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think I understand how you're being dismissive of Herman's comments. You dismiss them seemingly because he hasn't seen him practice, but neither have you. Herman gave Parker one of only 85 scholarships, so obviously he has faith in the guy, but his concerns are also legit.

Also, Texas ONLY runs out of the gun. Against uga with one yard to the endzone they ran it four consecutive times from the gun. If your statement is true, that shotgun blocking simplifies the picture considerably, Herman should be able to take that into account himself.

I just really cannot understand why so many fonts are fretting about learning to pass block. If one is not a complete stumblebum, and can move his feet with a decent pace, all he has to do is stay between the pass rusher and the pocket (Given that the quarterback remains in the pocket-If not all bets are off.).

As an undersized offense guard, and playing some of the largest high schools in south Alabama, I was rarely beaten so as to allow a sack. I almost looked at blocking on a pass play was like taking a play off. Much easier than a running play and particularly a pulling trap play.

I guess I'd like to hear from how someone who played offensive line in college would look at it. Can't imagine it would be much different.

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
I would speculate this is a way for their coach to set expectations and keep the pressure relatively low on a newcomer to the team more so than an indictment on our fundamentals.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Generally better athletes pick things up more quickly. I think he’s a better athlete at his position.

I’m more interested in how our guys will transition. My biggest concern on offense this year is our tackles. I think they’re going to get manhandled, and I don’t think we’re going to be able to run the ball. Expect lots of screens.

To say this will be equivalent to a foreign language for Braun is asinine. He will start and will most likely be there best Offensive Lineman. Saying he might redshirt is laughable.
I would love it if he does start, and UT ends up playing the mutts again, though hopefully not in the championship series, and Braun can play a part in beating the mutts' asses.

LibertyTurns

Banned
You can scratch that part if you'd like, just showing that the OL coaches are both top quality and that Herman is still concerned Parker picking up the technique in time for the season.
27 other offensive lineman were selected before Shaq Mason in 2015 because there were concerns about him as well by all these “experts”. A lot of highly compensated OL coaches look like a bunch of idiots now. Parker’s going to make that dude eat his words.