Offensive Line Transition

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I would love it if he does start, and UT ends up playing the mutts again, though hopefully not in the championship series, and Braun can play a part in beating the mutts' asses.
Alabama beats Georgia, loses big to Clemson, Alabama says Georgia is the toughest team it played. And Georgia lost to Texas in a bowl game. Texas has its eyes on the NC for certain. After four years of Braun at Tech, I am not going to believe zone pass blocking will flummox him.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
BurdellJacket: "I just really cannot understand why so many fonts are fretting about learning to pass block. If one is not a complete stumblebum, and can move his feet with a decent pace, all he has to do is stay between the pass rusher and the pocket (Given that the quarterback remains in the pocket-If not all bets are off.).

COMMENT: Not all that easy to do, given the speed, strength & agility of today's pass rushers. Marco Coleman was a special player in his era...... now everyone has a Javon Kearse or Jadeveon Clowney, i.e., sprinters with size & strength. What you described works if someone is trying to bull-rush you or tries to beat you around the corner. Sometimes talent wins. And then there are stunts......

"I guess I'd like to hear from how someone who played offensive line in college would look at it. Can't imagine it would be much different."

COMMENT: Sewak's methods aside, it's actually much harder to coach OLs to stay low than to run "zone block" out of a two-point stance. The tendency, natural or not, is to stand up or block high, especially as the DL across from you starts to rise. Again, given the speed, strength & agility of today's DLs, your mileage may vary. Sometimes talent wins. And then there are stunts......

Just one OldeFarTekker's opinion....

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
BurdellJacket: "I just really cannot understand why so many fonts are fretting about learning to pass block. If one is not a complete stumblebum, and can move his feet with a decent pace, all he has to do is stay between the pass rusher and the pocket (Given that the quarterback remains in the pocket-If not all bets are off.).

COMMENT: Not all that easy to do, given the speed, strength & agility of today's pass rushers. Marco Coleman was a special player in his era...... now everyone has a Javon Kearse or Jadeveon Clowney, i.e., sprinters with size & strength. What you described works if someone is trying to bull-rush you or tries to beat you around the corner. Sometimes talent wins. And then there are stunts......

"I guess I'd like to hear from how someone who played offensive line in college would look at it. Can't imagine it would be much different."

COMMENT: Sewak's methods aside, it's actually much harder to coach OLs to stay low than to run "zone block" out of a two-point stance. The tendency, natural or not, is to stand up or block high, especially as the DL across from you starts to rise. Again, given the speed, strength & agility of today's DLs, your mileage may vary. Sometimes talent wins. And then there are stunts......

Sure. Talent wins at just about anything - football, cricket or handgernades. And you named folks at the very top of their craft that will beat most people. Pass blocking isn't freakin' rocket science. A reasonably competent athlete can pick it up in a month! I cant see why so many of our folks are scared to death our young men cant handle it.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Sure. Talent wins at just about anything - football, cricket or handgernades. And you named folks at the very top of their craft that will beat most people. Pass blocking isn't freakin' rocket science. A reasonably competent athlete can pick it up in a month! I cant see why so many of our folks are scared to death our young men cant handle it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
To say this will be equivalent to a foreign language for Braun is asinine. He will start and will most likely be there best Offensive Lineman. Saying he might redshirt is laughable.

I thought I saw his dad post somewhere that the plan was to play 19 games across two years. That might not be the plan, and it might not be what happens even if it is the plan. However, if he is able to learn the system in year one playing four games and then dominate his position in year 2 it will help his NFL chances.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, Braun needs the “spread offense Rosetta Stone” to transition to a spread offense from another spread offense.

As stated previously in this thread, he’s gonna be their best OL. He was gonna be an All American this year for us. If they RS him Herman is an idiot.