Offensive Guards

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
^yes exactly, and not only that but i believe the 1's were split between the white and gold teams, not all together as a unit.
All the 1's were together, as in the starting 5. Brad Morgan has worked with the 1's though and he was on the 2's for the game.
The 1's are
C marshall
G Devine
G Bryan
T klock
T fromayan

Of course this was just for the spring and you could easily see 2 new guys take over as the 1's with burden coming back and maybe griffin.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
^yes exactly, and not only that but i believe the 1's were split between the white and gold teams, not all together as a unit.

There were No 1s on the Gold OL. One RS So Scholly T with virtually no game and one spring game experience. One walkon Sr C with 3 spring game experience. Two RS Fr Scholly Gs with no game or spring game experience, and one RS Fr walkon T with zero experience. I was surprised actually at how well this team moved the ball considering the experience level. Our 5 1s OL (these were legitimate 1s for the group we had to work with, although one or two will be 2s when the injured return) was backed up with a lone walkon.

Of the 10 starting OL positions in the Spring Game we had IMO legitimately 3 1s and 4 2s on both teams (White 3 1s and 2 2s, Gold 2 2s and 3 3s). Depth with this group is a real concern.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The spring game is a scrimmage more than a true game. The O is not scheming to beat another team, but to run plays to test out the offense and defense abilities. When is the last time we threw 25 times in the 1st 2 quarters? I think the take away is more on individual ability and general play execution. That said, I think we can all agree that passing/routes looked less than impressive and killed a lot of drives. There were no marches down the field.

I liked what I saw on the OL. My preference would be to see Will, Brad, Marshall, Scott, and Klock line up according to actual play in the spring game. This would be their second year or more in the system. These will not be true freshman playing and a significant step up in some spots. I wanted to see more MLB take downs, but the defense did not play a traditional 3 LB system. (Keep in mind Burden and Griffen did not play)

I also saw some good BB yards. The talent is there.

I saw some good blocking by WR. None of these guys pulled a Smelter crack back even though the opportunity appeared.

I saw some good AB blocking even though I did not see many knock downs.

The metal is there to build something great. The team just needs some polishing.