Offensive Guards

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just spent some time with the spring game tape watching only two people, Shamire Devine and Will Bryan. I had a blast doing it, I must add. I did this primarily because I have been worried about the position. Was Shamire going to be too slow at this weight? Is Will out of position on the inside and better suited for OT? I wanted to satisfy myself that we were going to be OK.

While I do think Shamire is too heavy at this weight, he carries it better than most people would. I love his physicality dealing with the guy right in front of him, but there is little doubt his mobility would improve if he were a little lighter. My imagination runs wild with what he could do at, say, 350 pounds. He doesn't need to drop THAT much, but it would be a huge help.

I was worried about Bryan at OG a little going into the viewing, but was immediately impressed when he dumped our own #40 on his head with a perfectly executed cut block in space. I mean Davis is already low enough with how he plays (and pretty quick). Well, Will got out there very quickly and closed on PJ a lot quicker than I think PJ was expecting. It is hard for a big man moving at near full speed to get that low and FINISH the block all the way through the defenders legs. Bryan did just that. It was one of the best OG releases to the second level you will see and one of the most text book cut blocks. All game, I am watching WB get out to the second level quickly and getting his angles, kind of reminding me how we didn't do so well at this last year. On the interior WB won the battle of LOW every time that I could remember. While having the luxury of watching Mason for 4 years, I would say WB falls just a little shy of that kind of physicality drive blocking, BUT, he does SUSTAIN his blocks and keeps working to extend his effect on the play after other OLs stop. Fundamentals! He is quick off the ball and he just plays hard. WB's best qualities are his quickness and tenacity. His greatest need is probably a little more size and strength, but his proclivity to gain leverage mitigates this somewhat. I am willing to admit my concerns were a little unfounded.

What say the rest of you?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I just spent some time with the spring game tape watching only two people, Shamire Devine and Will Bryan. I had a blast doing it, I must add. I did this primarily because I have been worried about the position. Was Shamire going to be too slow at this weight? Is Will out of position on the inside and better suited for OT? I wanted to satisfy myself that we were going to be OK.

While I do think Shamire is too heavy at this weight, he carries it better than most people would. I love his physicality dealing with the guy right in front of him, but there is little doubt his mobility would improve if he were a little lighter. My imagination runs wild with what he could do at, say, 350 pounds. He doesn't need to drop THAT much, but it would be a huge help.

I was worried about Bryan at OG a little going into the viewing, but was immediately impressed when he dumped our own #40 on his head with a perfectly executed cut block in space. I mean Davis is already low enough with how he plays (and pretty quick). Well, Will got out there very quickly and closed on PJ a lot quicker than I think PJ was expecting. It is hard for a big man moving at near full speed to get that low and FINISH the block all the way through the defenders legs. Bryan did just that. It was one of the best OG releases to the second level you will see and one of the most text book cut blocks. All game, I am watching WB get out to the second level quickly and getting his angles, kind of reminding me how we didn't do so well at this last year. On the interior WB won the battle of LOW every time that I could remember. While having the luxury of watching Mason for 4 years, I would say WB falls just a little shy of that kind of physicality drive blocking, BUT, he does SUSTAIN his blocks and keeps working to extend his effect on the play after other OLs stop. Fundamentals! He is quick off the ball and he just plays hard. WB's best qualities are his quickness and tenacity. His greatest need is probably a little more size and strength, but his proclivity to gain leverage mitigates this somewhat. I am willing to admit my concerns were a little unfounded.

What say the rest of you?
I agree

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Will Bryan is a great technician on the OL. He's still getting stronger, and when his strength catches up to his technical abilities, watch out ACC. Gotta remember, his move to OG is still pretty new. Will is gonna be a good one sooner than later. LOVE his move to guard. I said in his recruiting thread that he OG was where he belonged:

I'd like to see him at G. Kid is just nasty, and given the importance of our GCG unit, it's a no brainer to me since Burden and O'Reilly will have a season of experience at C. Mason is moving on this year so Devine and Braun will need an immediate impact backup. Enter Bryan.

Shamire...keep saying it, but he is easily the most gifted player for his position on the team, and it's not even close. Boomer is right, you look at Shamire and his weight is pretty evenly distributed. It's not like his gut is getting there five yards before the rest of him is. He's just a big guy with a big frame. When his mobility catches up to his brute strength (Oh, it's a beauty to behold if you watch his HS tape), GT will have one of the best offensive lineman in the nation. It's far past a secret that he's got next level talent. He's going to get there, I have confidence he'll realize his immense potential.

With a healthy Burden, this could easily be the most dominant GCG combo we've had since CPJ got here.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm confused. All this optimism. Don't y'all realize this is a GT message board. Your not allowed all that optimism.

All joking aside, I'm glad to hear someone else be optimistic. I think we will be okay at oline so long as the injury bug doesn't hit. We have had some bad luck this past year, hopefully that is out of our system.

I would love to get your take on the tackles as well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Griffin.....difference maker. Sigh. I'm not saying we won't be good without him. But we'd be a damn sight better with him. Probably would have been our best Olineman this year. Upward and onward, hoping his knee takes a turn for the better.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Boomer, I actually went through the exact same exercise, and....with shamire I'm sort of in "if ifs and buts were soup and nuts then beggars wouldn't starve" territory.

If he was lighter, he'd be better but he's not, and he's bad on the move. He REALLY needs to drop the pounds or he's not going to be more than "pretty good"

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Griffin.....difference maker. Sigh. I'm not saying we won't be good without him. But we'd be a damn sight better with him. Probably would have been our best Olineman this year. Upward and onward, hoping his knee takes a turn for the better.
So is he officially out for the year?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Paul comes out and says multiple times this year and end of last the OL is his number one concern AND his biggest worry. So i would say the observations and combine that with head man comments makes all negative views on the ol founded. Just silly. Come on for sure we have some good potential. The problem is will it be realized with the techniques and coaches we have? Hard to say. Alot of data suggests the ol is another issue in 2016. Summer better make us grow some balls and confidence

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Our O line should be fine imo. Devine should be a force to be reckoned with if he can lose some more wight. Burden will be back at center, and beside him Will Bryan. You will also have brad who can play guard and marshall who can play guard or center, and now you actually have pretty decent depth at guard and center. At tackle we have klock and fromayan plus incoming freshman Braun, and if griffin is able to come back you can move him Back to tackle. Hopefully all these guys stay healthy and griffin gets healthy, and we should be fine.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we have the pieces to make a great OL for 2016. Will has the passion and ability to be very good. Devine has some work to do to keep his spot from Brad in the long run. Brad has impressed me with his spring game film given only 2 weeks at guard. Scott is going to be playing in the future as well.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think we have the pieces to make a great OL for 2016. Will has the passion and ability to be very good. Devine has some work to do to keep his spot from Brad in the long run. Brad has impressed me with his spring game film given only 2 weeks at guard. Scott is going to be playing in the future as well.
On one play Will went head up against a dt ( kallon) very strong bull rush. Both started low and fought to a stalemate up the ladder. They both ended up almost vertical and was man on man. It was a war and then Will took a quick short step back and repositioned low and won that battle.

He has the refuse to loose in him so he finishes every block. He and klock are going to be special.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Love the optimism. I tend to agree, it's a work in progress that has some excellent potential. If the guys commit to the work, this group could be very good. Shamire is key but if he does not do what he needs to, we just have to move on to the next guy. No different than losing him to an injury. Chris Griffin is another wild card that could make this group a lot more formidable. Really hope his rehab works out.

Go Jackets!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know anything definite about Griffin? Presumably, he's been to see another doc by now. I hope we get good news about him soon; I was counting on him at OT for this year.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My understanding re: Griffin is that if a doctore will "okay" to play, Griffin will still need to weigh the odds of perminat damge vs being fully healed and able to play with nominal additional risk of injury.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I think everyone is getting ahead of themselves.... When Freddie comes back I can see Marshall at Guard... Plus we have 4 star recruit Parker Braun... So we could see Will back at Tackle...Or Parker at Tackle... So the spring game 1st team may be totally different from the 1st team OL in Dublin!!!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Per CPJ Marshall is a center and that's pretty much where he'll stay.

This was my impression too. I think we started the Spring hoping Andrew could help us at guard, but ended with him back at Center.

It's possible that this was just for Spring, but I agree with you that CPJs comments made it sound like Center is his spot.