Offensive and Defensive coordinators

LibertyTurns

Banned
Disagree with the highlighted section 100%. What we are doing is 100% "pro-style." Pre-snap reads, route trees, blocking schemes, etc. are all absolutely "pro-style." The fact that we're not passing and still running options is what has people saying we jumped the scratch on the "pro-style" offense.
It’s just perception. 8 months of anticipation waiting to see if we got West Coast offense, Run-n-Shoot, Air Raid, etc. It was all bad timing & some miscalculation. You get one chance to launch a new product and create that WOW factor. Ours was against Clemp, on the road against reigning Nat’l Champs. We needed Jax St, Alcorn St, etc instead of Clemp & USF.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I'm still more bullish than bearish with regards to total wins. I think the progression is going to be there and we'll win more than we lose.

I think we go into Duke 4-1 (3-2 at worst) and 7-1 or 6-2 into UVA. I like our chances against ViPiSU, and thus I can see us seriously contending for a spot in Charlotte.

We've got a long way to go to be good enough to do what I've suggested, but I think we can do that. Until we lose, I'm always going to think we're going to win.
Well It appears our defense will be playing on the level you are suggesting and that is exciting.... I have no clue what to think about the OC and the O... But time will tell..

GTFLETCH

Banned
It’s just perception. 8 months of anticipation waiting to see if we got West Coast offense, Run-n-Shoot, Air Raid, etc. It was all bad timing & some miscalculation. You get one chance to launch a new product and create that WOW factor. Ours was against Clemp, on the road against reigning Nat’l Champs. We needed Jax St, Alcorn St, etc instead of Clemp & USF.
I agree with the WOW Factor... However the USF game could have still brought it.... but we laid an egg... At best it looks like we traded CPJ "Master O" for CGC "Master Mayhem D"
The question is will CGC have to change OC as often as CPJ had to change DC???? Currently it appears DP does not know who he wants as the starting QB, or the Scheme he wants to run....Borderline Dumpster fire and it is only Week 2... Thank god for the FCS game next week

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agree with bad timing, but if we came out with an AirRaid or Chuck-n-Duck offense, we would have been boat-raced 100-0 against Clemson. That would have looked much worse.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Agree with bad timing, but if we came out with an AirRaid or Chuck-n-Duck offense, we would have been boat-raced 100-0 against Clemson. That would have looked much worse.
You could be right. CGC gets the big bucks to make the call. God willing in 3 years we’re wondering what all the teeth gnashing was about.

GTFLETCH

Banned
You could be right. CGC gets the big bucks to make the call. God willing in 3 years we’re wondering what all the teeth gnashing was about.
Hopefully Tucker Gleason can run the Offense that DP wants to ultimatley run next year or we get a transfer who can...

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The question is will CGC have to change OC as often as CPJ had to change DC???? Currently it appears DP does not know who he wants as the starting QB, or the Scheme he wants to run....Borderline Dumpster fire and it is only Week 2... Thank god for the FCS game next week
Let's hope not My guess Coach P is safe for 2 or 3 years. Remember he is the only offensive Coors that CGC has had. And if he did look for another who could you get for what we are paying him. I guess if it come down to it he could let CBK call plays but not sure how that would turn out.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
CDP is safe for a few years at least, until recruiting can turn over the roster.

If we still look like this in 2021, then he's toast.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
If we look like this later in 2019 and throughout 2020, then 2021 will not materialize because we will have impacted recruiting in a bad way.

The Temple game will be pivotal---imagine the tremendous advantage CGC and CDP will have in that game. If we play like we did against USF, it won't be pretty.
Back to the OP, one of the Co-ords are ATL.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m in wait and see mode. If USF is as bad some are saying, this could be a 3-9 type year. Ouch.

I think the reason for the complaining about the offense is two-fold. First, I think some fans expected 30+ passes per game and maybe some drop back passing too. Clearly, neither has happened (and I don’t expect we’ll see any drop back passing this year). Second, based on the reactions of the guy sitting in front of me at the game, anything that remotely resembles triple option generates emotional distress. I swear every time we ran up the middle, option or not, the guy about had a heart attack. He definitely want no part of option football or anything that resembled it.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I’m in wait and see mode. If USF is as bad some are saying, this could be a 3-9 type year. Ouch.

I think the reason for the complaining about the offense is two-fold. First, I think some fans expected 30+ passes per game and maybe some drop back passing too. Clearly, neither has happened (and I don’t expect we’ll see any drop back passing this year). Second, based on the reactions of the guy sitting in front of me at the game, anything that remotely resembles triple option generates emotional distress. I swear every time we ran up the middle, option or not, the guy about had a heart attack. He definitely want no part of option football or anything that resembled it.

What should give him a heart attack is that we are currently 114th in the country out of 130 in total yards and 9 of the teams that we are ahead of have only played one game.

Bring on the Citadel...we need some yards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Spurrier rotated a lot of QBs and was successful. Other teams have run the same plays we have and been successful, too. I’m watching pro teams run almost exclusively out of shotgun today.

After watching a couple of NFL games today, and a couple of NCAA games after our game, I’ve seen almost everything that’s been complained about on this forum done well as a key part of an effective offense. Except for the swinging gate play. And that’s just in the last two days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know a good bit about offensive football and I follow this blog often but what the heck is the "swinging gate" play please.

herb

Helluva Engineer
I know a good bit about offensive football and I follow this blog often but what the heck is the "swinging gate" play please.

This formation or something similar and the QB not as deep. I think we have run it twice and got caught watching the paint dry both times ;)

swinging gate.png

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

It's a play most often seen on extra point attempts, from what I have seen, where in the middle of the field is 4 or 5 players (sometimes one spread out wider), and then the others are on the edge, usually with mostly blockers and one player. It's an interesting idea as you can have a WR or Rb out on the edge with 5 or 6 blockers ahead of them, and if the defense loads up to stop that you can get a situation where your QB is one on one with a LB or DB on a run, which can be good in short yard situations. I think it is pretty dangerous when you have an absolute physical specimen for a QB (like Vince Young) but otherwise it's more just to give opponents something to look out for as there are ways to get exploited if you line up wrong.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
(4) We don’t have an “offensive identity” yet. I’m not sure what this phrase means—it’s vague. If it means “we don’t run this offense well yet”, then (a) that’s something else entirely and (b) we can talk about why.

If it means “the plays we called are bad because they didn’t work”, then I don’t know what to make of the comment at all. I think the answer to that is back in (2).

If it means that we “can’t impose our will on the other team” or “we don’t have a rhythm” and “we’re losing momentum”, those are the phrases I heard from coaches that were always just gibberish to me.

I know that coaches talk to reporters about “offensive identity”, but coaches say a lot of meaningless stuff to reporters.

I think an offensive identity is how what you do ties to who you are.

Dupont's business identity was chemistry and innovation. New products were on identity for them, and fighting it out with Dow on commodity chemicals was not.

Leonard Cohen's vocal identity was a deep, gravelly voice. Singing 16 tons would be on identity for him. Singing respect would not be.

Our offensive identity is how our plays align with who our players are and what GT is.

Big, burly, and strong is an offensive identity (see Alabama). Quick and innovative is an identity (see Oregon). Great arms and great receivers is an identity. All of those are linked not just to a play book but to the people who go to those schools and the history and recruiting strengths of those programs.

A lot of folks are apprehensive because the hype might suggest, with a cynical interpretation, that we intend to stop innovating and do what most other people try to do. That's discordant with Tech's identity for a bunch of historical and cultural reasons.

I think it's way too early to judge because I still don't see clear evidence of what kind of plays we want to make on offense. It may even be a year or two before we have an answer to that.

But one way or the other, if you want to change a culture questions about identity are close behind.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, it seems to me that CGC has bought into an offensive strategy of using different QBs and personnel packages to complicate opponent prep.

Iow, he doesn't want a single QB or offensive identity.