Offense transition

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Very interesting, Northeast, and I'm not debating anything you've said but how do you know the players decided "to throw the game"? That is absolutely amazing.

I was at GT during the Carson era. There were lots of rumors about players upset with Carson's harsh disaplined style versus Dodd's. Another rumor was about disgruntal players in the locker room before the 1970 Sun Bowl. The rumor was that Rock Perdoni told his teammates to get out there and play hard or they were goning to face him.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I assume you are talking about Carson since we have discussed endlessly on here how certain ACC teams were give off weeks to prepare for CPJ's offense. Year after year.

Dodd retired the year before some serious schedule changes went into effect. Tech, now playing as an independent, added Miami and Notre Dame to a schedule that already included Auburn, Clemson, Georgia and Tennessee. A couple of years later Southern Cal, FSU and Michigan State were swapped in. Tech did not have the kind of depth to handle that many heavy hitters and lost lots of starting players including All American running back Lenny Snow. Carson's last season Tech lost a heartbreaker to an 11-1 Georgia team. The Tech players voted to not go to a bowl game but Carson made them accept the Peach Bowl because fans were attacking him and he felt like he needed one more win to keep his job. Tech players decided to throw the game and Carson was gone.

Never heard of this until now but not surprised. The Peach Bowl had some interesting matchups to be sure. One year I went to a game at Grant Field between North Carolina with Don McCauley and Arizona State coached by Frank Kush. It was sleeting mixed with snow but we had a blast. The game was an absolute track meet with Arizona State coming out on top. I did not have a dog in the fight but had a good time.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I was at GT during the Carson era. There were lots of rumors about players upset with Carson's harsh disaplined style versus Dodd's. Another rumor was about disgruntal players in the locker room before the 1970 Sun Bowl. The rumor was that Rock Perdoni told his teammates to get out there and play hard or they were goning to face him.

Texas Tech was favored but we whacked them but good. That team did not have much offense but boy howdy when they hit you it was with serious intent.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Never heard of this until now but not surprised. The Peach Bowl had some interesting matchups to be sure. One year I went to a game at Grant Field between North Carolina with Don McCauley and Arizona State coached by Frank Kush. It was sleeting mixed with snow but we had a blast. The game was an absolute track meet with Arizona State coming out on top. I did not have a dog in the fight but had a good time.
I was there.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you, Northeast!! I was at the game, on the field, (not as a player) It was well known that the players had voted not to be there, and their whole performance on the field was lackadaisical at best! No real effort was seen,, Ole Miss was fired up, & wanted to win! Not one of our finest hours to say the least!!!
It was shameful on so many levels.

Some Georgia fans were sitting behind me singing a goodbye song to Carson through the whole game. It got testy. I learned a lot that night about how badly some fans wished us ill. I went from pulling for uga against selected opponents to always wanting to see them lose.

Something else I've never shared before. I used to count seconds using "one Mississippi two Mississippi..." etc. But after that night I silently say "one Georgia Tech two Georgia Tech." It became a habit and to this day if I am counting how far away lightning is or I am quickly searing a piece of tuna I still do it.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
As to Rodgers, the schedule once again "flipped" in time for his coaching debut. In addition to the usual Auburn, Tennessee and Georgia type teams, Notre Dame was added back in and Pittsburgh was put on the schedule. Later FSU and Miami were added back in and toward the end of his time Florida and Alabama were added.

He ran what he called "pure vanilla wishbone" which was fun when it worked but again the scheduling made it difficult to develop any kind of momentum during the season.

Miami, and especially FSU in the mid 70's were nothing to be afraid of. Florida wasn't really a powerhouse then either. Pitt was a different story. No doubt Pepper had a rough schedule and deserved better than he got. Damn those '76 and '78 games in athens still hurt. Two play away from taking four of five from uga.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Nobody wanted to face Rock. Renso Perdoni almost single handiley upset No. 1 ranked Norte Dame in 1970 at South Bend. We lost 7-10 but I think he had 18 tackles.
I had a friend in high school whose father played during the 1950s. My friend got a sideline pass to a game and took it upon himself to specifically watch Rock Perdoni. Rock was not huge, somewhat shorter than average for a defensive lineman of the era but according to my buddy two things really stood out: He played with tremendous leverage and balance which enabled him to quickly shed blocks AND he had astonishing speed to the ball. He was Luther Maddy or Aaron Douglas before they were cool.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
L
I had a friend in high school whose father played during the 1950s. My friend got a sideline pass to a game and took it upon himself to specifically watch Rock Perdoni. Rock was not huge, somewhat shorter than average for a defensive lineman of the era but according to my buddy two things really stood out: He played with tremendous leverage and balance which enabled him to quickly shed blocks AND he had astonishing speed to the ball. He was Luther Maddy or Aaron Douglas before they were cool.

Let me clarify a poorly written post. My friend's father played on that 1952 national championship team so was able to wrangle a sideline pass for his son who also played high school ball at the time in DeKalb County. My friend also remarked on Rock's physique: broad shoulders, rather short muscular arms, and thick legs. He was extremely difficult to block and routinely beat double teams.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
My friend also remarked on Rock's physique: broad shoulders, rather short muscular arms, and thick legs. He was extremely difficult to block and routinely beat double teams.

As former players, we're fans, too. In fact that's how you get started.......

One of the favorite match ups we always like to watch was Tennessee's A-A G Chip Kell going against Rock. Kell is/was Rock's physical twin in size, strength & agility & each matched up perfectly with the other on the field.

Kell is a good guy, and following in the footsteps of his dad, coached HS ball forever with the directional county schools up around Dalton. IIRC Chip still lives in that area. Rock is back living in the Atlanta area and comes to almost all home games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Really enjoying the insights.
I remember seeing Rock take that superfast first move to get under the ol man and bridgeup so he had no power . He held then up as he sorted out the play and rolled into the lane.

Do u guys remember hearing Jerry Glanville yell during practices.? I remember him getting into faces and telling them to hit the runner.
Probabably spring game .

Great to hear rock comes to the games.

Hansen reminds me of Rock.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Never a player but I had the fan part down pat. I would ride the Greyhound bus home from college every Friday and go to the Tech games in the fall during the mid 1970s My parents sat with the "hanging jury" in the west stands but I could not afford those tickets so I sat in the north stands. Watching the wishbone I felt I had the better seats. For some reason, there were a good many young alumni in those seats and boy let me tell you they did not care for Coach Carson, his assistants, his players or much of anything else. At the slightest provocation they would boo when they were not drinking that is.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Miami, and especially FSU in the mid 70's were nothing to be afraid of. Florida wasn't really a powerhouse then either. Pitt was a different story. No doubt Pepper had a rough schedule and deserved better than he got. Damn those '76 and '78 games in athens still hurt. Two play away from taking four of five from uga.

That Pitt team may have been the best opposing team I ever saw at Grant Field. It wasn't just Tony D, they had good and great players up and down the lineup. UGA in 1968 may have been one of the very best also. Notre Dame in 1980 had the biggest players I had ever seen getting off the bus. They were number one but not after we tied them that day. Never been able to figure that one out.