Off Season Priorities

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
But so what’s rational? 5 years? Plenty of coaches show success before then. Tech should be able to get to the 5-6 win mark in year 3...especially in a season with a regular looking schedule. If we are still clocking in at 3 wins it’ll be time to worry.
Your questions are referring to a subject I am not. And I understand and sympathize with your point.

My post was talking about when we should expect HS recruits to contribute to a football team. Typically, expecting redshirt freshmen to be significant contributors is not a strategy for success, especially on the OL and DL. I think you'd agree.

That is how seasoned Collins' first full class of recruits will be next year. We should really be expecting those guys to augment the upperclassmen simply due to differences in college S&C/experience/etc, even though those upperclassmen sometimes have a lower ceiling, rather than expecting redshirt freshmen to carry the load, especially on the OL and DL.

You are asking about win/loss record next year, which is different and more complex in my mind. Obviously W/L includes more variables such as scheme, gameday decisions, opponent strength, etc. My opinion there is I expect to see improvement in W/L over this year, provided we stay healthy. As long as the trajectory remains up, even if the incremental W/L improvement is shy of the gain I'd prefer to see, I'm willing to give a long leash.

I've admitted many times that I am probably more patient and forgiving of coaches unless I see a clear black and white mistake, of which I think Collins has fumbled some. Truly, I think even 3 years is hard to gauge success. We're still talking about a coach's first full class being redshirt sophomores. Again, feels like a losing proposition to rely on those. I prefer every coach get 4-5 years to understand their full potential, even though there should be signs of progression before then. Hopefully we are accelerating some of this via transfers.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There's a lot of youth, but with the incoming transfers in particular the DL will have plenty of athletic, big guys. Hopefully there won't be any need for COVID protocols next year, and unless we get double unlucky with injuries we should have simply excessive depth with playing experience. How TK comes back from injury and whether Clayton will stick around are the biggest determiners of next season on DL.

OL on the other hand is a much bigger concern for me. Maybe the young guys will be ready, but an impact grad transfer would be huge.
While I am bullish about our DE, I still don't see an obvious sure-fire solution to DT. We are increasing our margin for error there via HS recruiting, but those guys will be redshirt freshmen next year at best.

TK feels like an important piece. There are logical questions about how well he recovers and gets back into game shape with a year off. So far his potential to be a difference-maker (particularly on message boards) is based more off projection than past on-field performance, imo.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Two things, the juniors this year will be juniors next year, so they'll also have 2 years of eligibility left. The sophomores will sophomores next year, so they'll have 3 years left, the freshmen will be freshmen next year, so they'll have 4 years. The incoming class will also be freshmen, so they'll also have 4 years. With the free year, they're creating a freshman class of potentially 50 players. There will be a potential problem with the Class of '22 if they don't do something about the scholarship limit. They'll either raise it or there will be a ton of processing at all levels.

Second, the 25 limit is only on incoming freshmen. You could add 60 transfers as long as they stay under the 85 limit.

They all get the extra year. Only this year's seniors don't count towards the 85 limit. Going to cause a log-jam in 2 years.
Is that 25 thing new for this year? What I read was from last year where it said that all initial entries counted towards the 25 limit. Of course you could do things with kids being part of the previous class if there were unused initials and they could come in early but as of my latest reading the transfers also counted towards those initials. Like I said to the other poster, I hope you’re right.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Is that 25 thing new for this year? What I read was from last year where it said that all initial entries counted towards the 25 limit. Of course you could do things with kids being part of the previous class if there were unused initials and they could come in early but as of my latest reading the transfers also counted towards those initials. Like I said to the other poster, I hope you’re right.
You made me go back and research it. I was wrong. They got a lot tougher in 2018 with the new rules, but they do count towards the 25 limit. My bad.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad you mentioned kicker and the portal. Why the hell can't we get a baller kicker from an FCS or G5 school to come here? You would think that would be an easy sell, a GT scholarship for a kicker at podunk directional school.
Or we could do like everyone else who gets caught in this situation and just get someone off the soccer team.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I haven't been able to find anything on the interwebs that supports that, though I hope you are correct. Everything I've seen explicitly says the 85 limit will not be applied to next year and not after that. Can you share where you saw that info? I'm hoping you're right.
I thought that was my understanding from September, but I can't substantiate it now. It does help me understand the panic over roster management.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
To be fair the second time it happened, in the Pitt game not the Duke Game, they said it may have been because of an accident that happened nearby and they think it may have affected the lights...
That’s about as believable as a water pipe affecting Georgia’s votes being counted.