Off Season Priorities

slugboy

Staff member
I saw a projection on the Athletic from Stewart Mandel placing us in a bowl game. Have we officially declined any potential bowl invitations? Before someone responds about our record, the six win threshold was eliminated this year.
There are already 11 cancelled bowl games, including some with ACC tie ins: https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/pos...ll-bowl-games-for-2020-21-season-01erfe2a3489

Also, I don’t think bowl games are through cancelling, unless something is legally preventing them from cancelling. Many of them count on the ticket revenue, even though we think it’s all about the TV money.

I think we’d accept if offered, but finding a slot this year is harder than usual by a good bit.

Last edited:

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
1)permanent ban of dancing fools
2) bring back 3rd down
3)kicker
4) more and better DT's
For what it is worth on 2) - Collins donates money to one of the children's hospitals for every successful money down.

But I still cant say that I'm a fan of it.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to see SIms work on his deep ball. He needs to get a better feel for the high deep ball that a receiver can run under. We had receivers open deep this year, but he often threw a line drive, and not all that accurate either.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
OL and DL need major improvements. That would help all of the other O and D positions.

FG kicker that we feel reasonably comfortable attempting a field goal from 40 to 45 yards.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
OL and DL.. always has and always will. Has a huge impact in football. Losing Devin Cochran was big... getting the Miss State transfer is big.

enormous and heavy lines is what is always missing.

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
Spring game features the team split into two teams each needing a QB so that's a given.

In terms of a bowl game, or this season entirely, people vastly overrate the importance of the back up having experience when you are stating a true freshman QB. The starter having the needed experience is vastly more important than getting the back up experience, especially since there is a very good chance the back up/ups won't be here next year.
So if the starter is injured ( rumor is Sims is under concussion protocol) you say you just start over with an inexperienced qb? Or I suppose you could cancel your next game. If a qb is the most important position on an offensive football team why would you not groom a backup as often as possible? Just saw the Florida qb limping off of the field after scoring a td, if he goes out they will need a backup.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
For what it is worth on 2) - Collins donates money to one of the children's hospitals for every successful money down.

But I still cant say that I'm a fan of it.
I’m sure we could call it 3rd down and Collins could still donate. For those that don’t know, Collins donates $10 for every 3rd down stop. Came out to $710 this year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So if the starter is injured ( rumor is Sims is under concussion protocol) you say you just start over with an inexperienced qb? Or I suppose you could cancel your next game. If a qb is the most important position on an offensive football team why would you not groom a backup as often as possible? Just saw the Florida qb limping off of the field after scoring a td, if he goes out they will need a backup.

So you would take experience from a guy who needs it that you know will play for a guy who needs it and will only play if the first guy can't?

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
1. Address discipline. Procedure penalties & the like. Too many self inflicted penalties this season. Too many lapses in coverage, eye discipline, lane fits, ect. All that needs to be cleaned up. I’d like to see a fundamental, disciplined, and sound team next season.

2. Further Development in pass protection.

3. Stronger pass rush.

4. An actual kicking game.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
  1. Work on our strength and conditioning. I have seen a lot of hype about our off season S&C program for the last two years. The finished product has not been impressive.
  2. Work on our open field tackling. I thought we did pretty well during 2019, but we seemed to have regressed this season.
  3. Of course get someone who can kick a field goal. If the coaching staff can't resolve this issue, then find someone who can fix the problem.
Coach Collins:
  • Improve game planning. Do we have the right fit with our football operations personnel.
  • Do some self evaluation on some of the game time decisions that have been made during the past two seasons.
  • No offense to Todd Stansbury, but I just don't see him as a guy that can influence the general public. During the off season get away from Tech and meet the fans. We should be able to sell season tickets next year and there is some serious work to do. You absolutely have to influence people to buy tickets next year and your persona has got to help out more than ever. You're the face of the program.

slugboy

Staff member
On offense, I think we have a talent at the “skill” positions. We’re starting to build depth on the line, and we’ve recruited a couple of tight ends and receivers. We’ll be young, but we shouldn’t have any real gaps on offense next season.

On defense, outside of DE, it’s hard for me to tell. We had some bad injury luck at DT this season, and we’re mostly young there. I also think that we’re building depth there, and I think we’ll have a decent front four next season.

Linebacker is a tougher one for me. Especially early in the season, I saw safeties and LBs fill the same gap, and I couldn’t tell which one was hitting the wrong gap. By the end of the season, Curry was at least going in the right spots, and it made him look a ton better. We have speed with some of the other players—my question is whether they’ll go to the right places quickly. They have enough athleticism that good, quick decisions will make them look a lot better. We’re also recruiting some good players there.
The defensive backfield has two CBS that play like CBs. We’re also recruiting there. Another year of experience will help there.
The safeties are the question for me—will they hit the right spots and have enough speed to cover? If there’s a communication gap between safeties and LBs, will they fill that gap next season?

GT_EE78

Banned
There are already 11 cancelled bowl games, including some with ACC tie ins: https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/pos...ll-bowl-games-for-2020-21-season-01erfe2a3489

Also, I don’t think bowl games are through cancelling, unless something is legally preventing them from cancelling. Many of them count on the ticket revenue, even though we think it’s all about the TV money.

I think we’d accept if offered, but finding a slot this year is harder than usual by a good bit.
We clearly don't deserve a bid. I'd hope the program has more pride than to accept a bid this year.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Get the new lights to work without locking up and causing game delays. Those are truly embarrassing on TV and for those of us in the stands it's ridiculous I have to sit there and wait.
To be fair the second time it happened, in the Pitt game not the Duke Game, they said it may have been because of an accident that happened nearby and they think it may have affected the lights...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

A lot of them need to be cancelled...permanently.