Ode to a former forum

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Can we let this thread die please?...Hart is a tool. The only good thing about his site was the people who posted to it...thankfully most of them are here now.
In all fairness, Jim created another place to discuss GT sports other than the Hive or Sting Talk. That, alone, is worthy of acknowledgement.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Last word I'll have on it and y'all are certainly entitled to your own opinions. I disagree with above post completely though. He started a troll thread over there. I responded that I thought the thread was the dumbest one I'd seen in his site and wouldn't be posting to that thread further. He then dropped the perm ban hammer on me lol. I was a-son-sir over there.
I also don't give him tons of credit for creating the site...was always obviously a money making endeavor for him. Now that I've bumped this AGAIN...please let it die!! Lolol

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Well tried to be nice .Shoot I thought he gives folks time to call folks out etc.......never a dull minute with the old crowd.

You're right he absolutely does that. Except only does when you agree with his opinion or what he's trying to promote. There's a clear history of permabanning those who don't. I mean he even threatened to ban anyone who mentioned the site we're talking on right now.

To call that "latitude" is willfully ignorant as far as I'm concerned.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was very thankful to have that site available to me for quite a while and I posted regularly, just as I do here. However, things started to change over there at some point. I can't remember exactly when or over what issue, but it became apparent to me that it was no longer worth it and the loonies were running the asylum. I refused to take part in childish BS, so I left. I hope this fine group of moderators stays committed to the current principles on the swarm. I thoroughly enjoy myself here. There are some analytical folks who are fun to converse with.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was very thankful to have that site available to me for quite a while and I posted regularly, just as I do here. However, things started to change over there at some point. I can't remember exactly when or over what issue, but it became apparent to me that it was no longer worth it and the loonies were running the asylum. I refused to take part in childish BS, so I left. I hope this fine group of moderators stays committed to the current principles on the swarm. I thoroughly enjoy myself here. There are some analytical folks who are fun to converse with.

I think what happened was as much a function of the decline of GT football as anything else. More people got frustrated (myself included) and used the site to vent. The venting was excessive (IMHO) as some people used many threads to make the same point.

I tried The Hive and they are nothing but the Koolaid Crowd. StingTalk has a creepy feel to me (I'm over 50 and like facts and non-contentious adult discussion.) This place seems like GTSportsTalk used to be.

Jim did a great job (again IMHO) at controlling the discussion and then animating it occasionally. I used to laugh at his tongue in cheek comments that were intended to incite certain people. The funny thing is, that it never failed to do so. Reminds me of how my son can spin up my daughter in less than a sentence. But if you put yourself in Jim's place, where he went from a real GT fan to one who disdained many aspects of the program, we were lucky he did all that he did.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
You're right he absolutely does that. Except only does when you agree with his opinion or what he's trying to promote. There's a clear history of permabanning those who don't. I mean he even threatened to ban anyone who mentioned the site we're talking on right now.

To call that "latitude" is willfully ignorant as far as I'm concerned.
To each his own............I have seen both sides of your argument but there are many who have been down right uncivil and he lets them get it off their chest.My gosh its a blog not a meeting of the United Nations......I have found out that if you have the proof you do get the latitude if not then you get hammered by many.But refresh me I thought he was talking about the Stingtalk guys but hey if you get banned so what ? Jim or others here dont sign my paycheck so I chalk it up to experience.Maybe I should chalk it up to ignorance ...could be will check into that !

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I moved this to the lounge as I don't see any football related discussion in this thread any time soon.

Anyway, I have a lot of respect for all the other GT sites out there regardless of who runs them or how they are run. I don't think of other GT sites as competition because I think each site has a different purpose and character but at the end of the day, they are still all part of the GT fan "ecosystem" if you will (except maybe the AJC GT comments section... :cool:).

So unless a "GT site" looks nothing but a advertising/spam site, I don't imagine we'll need to block or prevent our members from posting links to other GT sites that have great info.

beernutts

Georgia Tech Fan
I have found out that if you have the proof you do get the latitude if not then you get hammered by many.
Biggest bunch of bologna right there. Hart ignored facts, and, if you didn't see the world the way he did, ban.

And, he loved to delete his own incriminating posts, and try to claim he never said those thing. Loved that guy.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Biggest bunch of bologna right there. Hart ignored facts, and, if you didn't see the world the way he did, ban.

And, Lhe loved to delete his own incriminating posts, and try to claim he never said those thing. Loved that guy.

And, he loved to delete his own incriminating posts, and try to claim he never said those thing. Loved that guy.
Well to each his own but I disagreed with him and had no problems but cannot.......speak for all.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I had no problem with Hart other than he allowed too many extremely unreasonable posters to continue on the board regardless of their language or behavior. He allowed his board to be nothing more than a staging area for those who tried to get rid of Gailey before Gailey ever coached a down at Tech. There is nothing wrong with a board allowing discussions (pro and con) regarding a coach, but it cannot become a staging ground for hatred of a coach and AD. In my opinion, it drowned under its own weight. I told Jim that was the reason I could no longer post on his board.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I had no problem with Hart other than he allowed too many extremely unreasonable posters to continue on the board regardless of their language or behavior. He allowed his board to be nothing more than a staging area for those who tried to get rid of Gailey before Gailey ever coached a down at Tech. There is nothing wrong with a board allowing discussions (pro and con) regarding a coach, but it cannot become a staging ground for hatred of a coach and AD. In my opinion, it drowned under its own weight. I told Jim that was the reason I could no longer post on his board.
Understand but since the anti Chan was before my time I didnt get into it until the last year Chan coached. Yeah don't like to be on a board that is so far one way that any opinion you have contrary to the majority is stuffed down and if you can back up facts with your opinions then the board gets stronger.So far I would say this board leans to keeping the option and PJ and the Hart board was more firing PJ.Really though..........nobody probably cares what we think pro or con on any subject since we are not in the loop to make changes........fun to express ideas and hopes though.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Mack: I agree, there are some who will defend PJ regardless of the facts. However, this does not bother me if they are in love with him. Each person on this board has the same right to express their opion as the next person. No person on this board is the expert; we are all equal. We are no more than equal members of a board. Each member has an input and can reply to another input if he so desires or ignore another input if he so desires. Personally, I seldom post to get replies, I post to give my thoughts. When I really want a reply, I generally ask for it giving the criteria of my curiosity of a given topic.

By the way, I have observed your comments on the board to others; you are an asset to the board and a peacemaker. There are a few others who are also assets and peacemakers, and I observe their courtesy as well.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Rodney.....guess been watching lawyers too much in past life but its clear fans have the right to back who they feel is the best for Tech.Yes we are in a deep kemchi situation.Many say the offense hurts recruiting (I agree) while others use metrics of who signed as a challenge to that idea.Many say we are in same boat as Chan and even GOL and I dont completely subscribe to that either but its clear the AD will have to make a tough choice.Got into small argument with sport writer for Augusta Chronicle on Chan and their was merit on both sides.He said and ,he was right ,that Chan had a winning record and I felt like UNLESS we got a qb we would always be seven and five...now our choice is what to do ?PJ will probably win eight,go to a bowl and who knows what we do vs georige and overall record will be fair so .........what do we do...Well all we can do is pee at the wind since what we think is not that well thought of by the AD or the Hill.I say lets do what is best for Tech in the future and lets do it now. As a old fart who used to roam the sidelines yelling at players thirty five or so years ago...football boils down to who is the best at blocking and tackling,throwing and catching and of course......rushing the pigskin.We either win or.....we lose and so tired of excuses that this or that caused this and that......Like you said we are all equall and I too welcome input on wheaterh my thoughts are good or bad................of course if we all were so smart..........................dont think we would be typing on this board at 9 oclock.....

This is good group here and good thing is no matter what the topic you get a answer from one side or the other....long as it is civil we will all be helped by those who daily follow Tech football.Glad to be here.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Looks like that site is back. Thanks to cyptomcat for alerting. You may recognize some of the old bbuzzoff posters there.