October 2023 Kennesaw State & UAB Fall Games

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to the board!

A few things now and more later.

I also found it interesting the Matthew Ellis started at catcher. He's going to be interesting and add a lot to power if he plays. Last year he was injured / sick and only in 25 games. But great power the last two years. I don't have his defensive stats at C only; his overall fielding was .994 in 2022 & 2023. He started at C at Indiana some the last two years (36 times in 2022 and 13 times in 2023) so he must be good.
View attachment 14931

Next the enigma Cam Hill. Last night was only one game of 3.0 IP. But there's the fact that he had two great (<1.1 ERA) summers and then last year playing for us wasn't good. We don't know where he is in training since it's fall ball and he pitched a lot in the summer. But the GT coaching staff put him out there for 3.0 and must have thought he was ready.
View attachment 14932
View attachment 14933

I plan to be there opening weekend. Don't know how much otherwise as it's a bit of a trek.

And I've found not setting expectations is healthier. We should be better pitching (god awful is the stat last year) and fielding (some transfer talent) but hitting remains to be seen (is "always" good). But IIWII.
7 BB 2HB; same oh same oh?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well GT won 7-4 over UAB But no stats yet since statbroadcast required a pass code :(

Hopefully posted tomorrow or someone can provide. But only 4 runs in what I'm assuming was 12 innings is pretty good era for those who pitched.

Giesler with an inside the park hr.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Hope I remembered all this well enough:

Bechetti- 2B or SS
Brosius- OF (RF?)
Jones- OF (CF?)
Green- SS or 2B
Jaros- 3B
Yunger- must have been OF (LF?)
Sabathia- DH
King-P
Giesler- 1B
Ellis- C

Jaros played well and hit well
Ellis jacked one, pretty sure of that
Sabathia walked and HBP

We started out not hitting worth a damn but heated up when 3rd pitcher came in. Guess we put up runs late as we left 3-3 in 7th. Concessions weren’t open and we got hungry.

I like the baseball game lined up with Homecoming. Makes it easier for us out of towners to attend.

Scoreboard was a mess. They projected up someone’s laptop, but this was an exhibition.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
More to follow, but for the second game in a row we walked the first batter. But then 2 SO. The Maxwell legacy lives on.
No kidding. We yielded 12 walks in 12 innings. Where have I seen this before? (UAB walked 7 Jackets, for comparison).

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
No kidding. We yielded 12 walks in 12 innings. Where have I seen this before? (UAB walked 7 Jackets, for comparison).
You can twist stats to support any agenda. For example, throw out the 3 innings pitched by McKee and Diamant and we pitched 5 walks in 9 innings which is an acceptable number.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
You can twist stats to support any agenda. For example, throw out the 3 innings pitched by McKee and Diamant and we pitched 5 walks in 9 innings which is an acceptable number.
I hope we aren't OK with 5 walks in 9 innings. That is essentially where we were at last season (5.4 walks/9 innings) and would be in the bottom half of the ACC based on 2023 numbers.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel for them. It can’t be easy to find a feel for the game with the coach calling pitches. I don’t believe you can shake it off either if you don’t like what’s coming in. I said this earlier, Cam has been dominant 2 straight summers. Maybe it’s a coincidence he went from struggling in the spring straight to dominating the Cape?