October 2023 Kennesaw State & UAB Fall Games

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We'll get a look at all the new & transfer players soon:

"THE FLATS – Georgia Tech baseball will return to Mac Nease Baseball Park at Russ Chandler Stadium this fall to host Kennesaw State and UAB for a pair of exhibition games.

The Yellow Jackets will play the Owls for a fall edition of the I-75 Challenge on Saturday, Oct. 14 at 1 p.m. before hosting the Blazers on Friday, Oct. 27 at 5:30 p.m."

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ramblin Wreck article for tomorrow's game. What's really cool is there will be live stats! First time I can remember that for a Fall Ball game.

1697233261171.png

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
If anyone gets a chance to see our team play today I would sure love to see a summary of your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
GT Navy
I’ll start with your question

I think Drew is the real deal but my overall impression is this is a very talented team but a huge caveat here

28 new faces
Lots of freshmen and transfers

Transfer catcher from Indians looks like our power bat

But if anyone thinks we’re going to hit tons of hr’s like the last few years, get that out of your head right now!

Not saying it’s impossible but this isn’t a team full of Comp, Reid, Dispigna, Jenkins, Tres or Parada

I think we will be stronger defensively and pitching this year.

Busse started today and outside of the opening walk looked good.

Camron Hill is a complete wild card and mystery to me.
Kid has the stuff and has performed very well in Cape summer leagues but it just hasn’t translated to Tech for whatever reason.

Tech lost 7-5 but it was a 12 inning exhibition otherwise Tech wins 4-3.

Camron gave up 3 of those runs including two hr’s

As I said above, this could be our best defensive infield in years and outfield is solid.

Pitching did very well overall.

The three runs given up in the 12th was Diament’s 3rd inning and I think Hall wanted to see if Demitri could close it out

I would describe our offense as contact and scrappy.

We have some big guys but it’ll take time to gel imo. Likely though only 1-2 guys over 15 hr’s this year.

Navy mentioned Drew and I’m so glad he chose to come to Tech but I was impressed with freshmen Graziano. Beautiful swing.

Lots of freshmen potential

Gonna be an up and down season.

I could see this team winning 5 straight and turn around and lose 3 out of 5

Need to be patient this year imo

I’m a season ticket holder and we are the #3rdBaseCrew

Please go to games

Best ticket value for the money

Go Jackets!!!

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Btw

I met Parker’s dad today and a few others.

I’ll be heading to UAB exhibition game and highly encourage anyone to go

If you do, stop by 3rd base line and let’s chat it up

#JoltinJ’s

GTBallfan

Georgia Tech Fan
GT Navy

I think Drew is the real deal but my overall impression is this is a very talented team but a huge caveat here

28 new faces

But if anyone thinks we’re going to hit tons of hr’s like the last few years, get that out of your head right now!

Not saying it’s impossible but this isn’t a team full of Comp, Reid, Dispigna, Jenkins, Tres or Parada

Kid has the stuff and has performed very well in Cape summer leagues but it just hasn’t translated to Tech for whatever reason.

As I said above, this could be our best defensive infield in years and outfield is solid.

The three runs given up in the 12th was Diament’s 3rd inning and I think Hall wanted to see if Demitri could close it out

We have some big guys but it’ll take time to gel imo. Likely though only 1-2 guys over 15 hr’s this year.

Navy mentioned Drew and I’m so glad he chose to come to Tech but I was impressed with freshmen Graziano. Beautiful swing.

Please go to games

Go Jackets!!!
Speaking of I was told at the game today Reid is on campus, finishing his degree. Not sure what happened but was told he decided not to come back to the team. I think he could have helped the young guys this year.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not ready to declare us to not be a power hitting team yet. Last year nobody thought we would hit like we did. I can't remember the last time we weren't one of the top power hitting teams in the conference. One of the newcomers I am expecting to see hit it out of the yard is Pete Craska but it doesn't appear he played today. Hopefully Hill was just a bit off today. I agree that last year he came back from the cape with big expectations but he started the season injured and never seemed to regain his form. Hopefully he stays healthy this year. Regarding Ellis, with him being a catcher does he start or Minnick? Maybe they share the starts and DH when not starting? Anyway it's good to have baseball back for a couple of weekends until things start back up in Feb.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT Navy

28 new faces

Please go to games

Go Jackets!!!

Welcome to the board!

A few things now and more later.

I also found it interesting the Matthew Ellis started at catcher. He's going to be interesting and add a lot to power if he plays. Last year he was injured / sick and only in 25 games. But great power the last two years. I don't have his defensive stats at C only; his overall fielding was .994 in 2022 & 2023. He started at C at Indiana some the last two years (36 times in 2022 and 13 times in 2023) so he must be good.
1697373225915.png

Next the enigma Cam Hill. Last night was only one game of 3.0 IP. But there's the fact that he had two great (<1.1 ERA) summers and then last year playing for us wasn't good. We don't know where he is in training since it's fall ball and he pitched a lot in the summer. But the GT coaching staff put him out there for 3.0 and must have thought he was ready.
1697373468916.png

1697373503723.png

I plan to be there opening weekend. Don't know how much otherwise as it's a bit of a trek.

And I've found not setting expectations is healthier. We should be better pitching (god awful is the stat last year) and fielding (some transfer talent) but hitting remains to be seen (is "always" good). But IIWII.

Killerbees

Jolly Good Fellow
Welcome to fall y’all. How much do you think the wristband method impacts a pitcher like Cam? Meaning he called his own pitches in the summer and has excelled twice in summer league. Then the coach calls the pitches and we get a different result. I think there is something to be said for a pitcher/catcher to control the game and understanding to stay away from a pitch he is not feeling that day.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Regarding Catcher I think the staff will use a righty/lefty platoon with Ellis and Minnick as the season begins and both will likely earn the opportunity to lock down the position.

I am curious to see who locks down the role as 3rd string catcher as we played or pinch hit four additional catchers to include Aidan Joley, Vaughn Lackey, Nathanael Coupet and Paradine.

I think overall that Hill did okay however he hit a batter and then proceeded to give up a 2 run hr after a shutdown inning.

I think he is definitely starter material as he just flat out dominated in the cape league and was mvp. He’s the key to our staff imo. If he can be that weekend starter, I feel this can be a successful season.

I like our transfers very much. Definitely strong defensively.

Freshmen have loads of potential as I mentioned

I feel by the time conference ball comes around, this could be a very good team

I too try to stay away from expectations and just enjoy the season

My son plays baseball and is heading to hs where multiple tech players have played and each game and opportunity to watch the boys play is a blessing and joy as baseball and especially college baseball cat the Rusty C is a great place to take in a game.

Yes I know it’s Mac Nease park but it’ll always be the Rusty C to me!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Welcome to fall y’all. How much do you think the wristband method impacts a pitcher like Cam? Meaning he called his own pitches in the summer and has excelled twice in summer league. Then the coach calls the pitches and we get a different result. I think there is something to be said for a pitcher/catcher to control the game and understanding to stay away from a pitch he is not feeling that day.

Definitely time to replace the coach. But that's another subject.

I think it was only one game. Are pitchers allowed to call their pitches in the Cape? Or the catchers / coaches call the pitches and the pitcher can shake it off. While I didn't see it, Cam had erratic control but did get 6 SOs. But 1 BB, 1 HBP and 3 hits (2 HRs). We didn't get any HRs so it doesn't appear to be weather aided like many games.