OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Thacker still DC. Well that does it. Hell just froze over. What on earth are they thinking. Virtually last in defense in P5. The offense had decent -not great- numbers with the exception of the top teams e.g. Clemson D, ND, UGA. So is the OC the scapegoat?

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
Thacker still DC. Well that does it. Hell just froze over. What on earth are they thinking. Virtually last in defense in P5. The offense had decent -not great- numbers with the exception of the top teams e.g. Clemson D, ND, UGA. So is the OC the scapegoat?

CGC and ADTS missed the target if what you write is true. The root of our problems is defense. Even the concept of CGC being DC scares the *&^ out me because he cannot CEO himself out of the red zone.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
For everyone suggesting that we bring in an OC and bring in someone else to coach the QBs, I don’t think the numbers work out very well for that. We’re only allowed a certain number of coaches on the staff. We fired 3: Patenaude, Burton, and Popovich. That means we can only add 3 to the staff.

If we assume that we won’t have a coach dedicated solely to special teams and that Thacker will coach linebackers, these are the openings we need to fill with 3 new people: offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, QB coach, Safeties coach, Cornerback coach.

That’s 5 jobs for 3 people. We can reduce that to 4 jobs for 3 people if we combine safeties and corners into one job (which we’ll call DBs).

If we want to hire both an OC and a separate QB coach, that’s 2 of our 3 spots used up. Here are the only ways I can imagine us making that work, and I don’t really like any of them:
-Collins doubles as Head Coach and DC, and we hire a new DBs coach
-Thacker moves to coaching the DBs, Larry Knight switches to LBs, Marco Coleman takes sole responsibility of the DL, and we hire a new DC
-We hire a new DC who also serves as the DBs coach

I think Collins was a good DC, but he doesn’t have the bandwidth to be adding to his responsibilities right now. I have to believe that if we were planning on giving anyone else the boot, we’d have already done so (though that doesn’t mean it won’t happen once we have new coordinators). But until we hear otherwise, we should probably assume that our new OC will also be coaching the QBs.
This is most likely if there's only 1 defensive coach hired. Also, Collins works with the DB's in practice too.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
that'll teach him a thing or two about scoring on Georgia.Thanks to slugboy and GTLorenzo. I really have to get out from under that rock.

According to some on here, our offense the last two games was lights out compared to 2019, so maybe he should've been given another year to prove himself like Collins..... ;) 😂🤣

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just my opinion and I don't know anything, but they might be focusing on just the OC position. See how that shakes out and then determining what to do with DC. May come down to budget and if we hire separate OC and QB, then that factors into what is possible on the defensive side. Just gotta wait and see how this all shakes out.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Well if Collins working with the DB's doesn't scare you enough based on the number of big plays on blown coverages this year. I hope they are still bringing in a DC. My big concern is not enough dollars to do that if we up the OC position.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I like the safeties and CB's being in different coaching groups. That might be part of the disconnect. We're they in the same film room? It seemed like there was too much "I got him, you take him" crap going on. The other problem I saw with busted coverages wasn't to do with the DB's but DE's trying to chase down RB's or TE's. Whoever thought that was a good idea was wrong.

Something changed and it wasn't the DB's. We had essentially the same DB's in 2019 and they were a strength of the defense. We didn't have all these blown coverages with people flying loose all over the field. Whatever changed needs to be changed back.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Both of the Chips resumes look good to me, and I would be happy with either one.
DC is where we have the most room for improvement, and while I would like fresh eyes there, it is Collins speciality and his head in the crosshairs, so if he wants to take it over, so be it.