OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Kelly says an OC offer has been made, and its much higher salary than what we were used to before (thank god).

If that is true then it leads me even more to believe that Coach Pat was seen from the get go as they guy to get us through the transition years before trying to attract a more high profile OC.

If Mullen then it will be an absolutely outstanding hire. But I doubt. If Godsey I will be less impressed not because of NFL success or lack there of but rather just a general lack of college experience. Still would see it as a good hire though.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think you said this earlier, but now is the time to coalesce behind those who are here
We'll have to see how he does, bur he brings some good things to the table.

1. He's a former NFL coordinator, and I don't think you get to that level unless you have a good bit of knowledge and ability.
2. He's a former QB who made the best of his limited talent. Those types usually make good coaches. He has experience as a QB coach at the college and pro levels.
3. Potential head coach in waiting.

I have confidence he'll be organized and the players will be well coached in what they're doing out there. We'll have to wait and see how imaginative and resourceful our offense will be, but Godsey strikes me as an intelligent guy. I have a lot of hope (not necessarily faith, but hope) that this will work out well.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
We'll have to see how he does, bur he brings some good things to the table.

1. He's a former NFL coordinator, and I don't think you get to that level unless you have a good bit of knowledge and ability.
2. He's a former QB who made the best of his limited talent. Those types usually make good coaches. He has experience as a QB coach at the college and pro levels.
3. Potential head coach in waiting.

I have confidence he'll be organized and the players will be well coached in what they're doing out there. We'll have to wait and see how imaginative and resourceful our offense will be, but Godsey strikes me as an intelligent guy. I have a lot of hope (not necessarily faith, but hope) that this will work out well.

Good points. I haven't watched an NFL game in 10 years, so I would have no idea what he or hasn't done. It seems like there should be some good things, and I think your #1 above is a good point.

It would also seem that an NFL OC would be attractive to recruits, if he can translate creativity to some success here.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Godsey could work, but man, his offenses have STUNK in the NFL.

Godsey has never had a fair shot at OC, and the one time he was a full OC, he was micro managed and scape goated by Bill O'Brien.

Godsey will have 100% freedom under CGC to run what he wants. That has never been the case where he's coached. I think it's going to be beautiful because Godsey is extremely smart, and has been influenced by some of the best OCs and HCs in the business.

The pieces are in place for Godsey to succeed at GT if Sims stays and we can add some pieces on the OL. I expect Godsey's system to look a lot like what Friedgen and what the Patriots ran. Those were some high level passing offenses. QBs on our roster and QB commits should be excited about this.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Would be 100% excited with Godsey as the hire. Would provide instant credibility to our passing game. He's also served as a tight ends coach and that would help in rebuilding that room.

As far as choosing coaches with a tech connection, that's the point. Tech is very unique in the challenges we face as one of the few STEM schools attempting to compete in power 5 football.

For those of you wanting to get under center more, highly likely you'll see a mix of both gun and center.

superjacket21

Georgia Tech Fan
Godsey has never had a fair shot at OC, and the one time he was a full OC, he was micro managed and scape goated by Bill O'Brien.

Godsey will have 100% freedom under CGC to run what he wants. That has never been the case where he's coached. I think it's going to be beautiful because Godsey is extremely smart, and has been influenced by some of the best OCs and HCs in the business.

The pieces are in place for Godsey to succeed at GT if Sims stays and we can add some pieces on the OL. I expect Godsey's system to look a lot like what Friedgen and what the Patriots ran. Those were some high level passing offenses. QBs on our roster and QB commits should be excited about this.
He pretty much has the reigns on the passing front.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If we are not going to throw $$$ at hire to get a currently successful Power 5 oc , lets go to young succesful wide open oc s like coastal carolina, nevada, western kentucky.

Heck - Kendall Brilles is at Arkansas thats Run oriented. He has been highly successful at several programs.

If are cheap in paying coaches and we run a vanilla offense like the last oc, we are insane.