OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If Mullen wants to come to Tech, we should absolutely bring him in. He was very successful running Urban Meyer’s offense and was pretty successful at Mississippi State as their head coach (Orange Bowl notwithstanding 😉). If we somehow managed to get him, Collins could basically just hand him the keys to the offense and focus most of his attention on fixing the defense. Unfortunately, I have a hard time believing Mullen won’t get snapped up for one of the head coaching vacancies. And I have a hard time believing we could afford him.

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
Holtz would run the triple if he coached again he said as much.
Here is a great quote from Holtz

"I think it's one word: recruiting," says Lou Holtz, who ran option football at five stops in his college coaching career, including with his Notre Dame national champion in 1988. "Once alumni started treating recruiting like it was a season in itself, it became very difficult to run the option. All of a sudden, [if you were an option team,] you couldn't get the dominant quarterback, because you weren't going to throw the football and get him ready for the NFL. You couldn't get the dominant left tackle, because you weren't going to teach him to pass-block. You couldn't get the dominant running back, because he wasn't going to be featured enough. Now, you can still win with the option even if you don't get those people, but if you're not getting those top recruits, the alumni start to think you're losing and you're not exciting enough."

Jmonty71

Banned
I said this once and I'll say it again. Collins strikes me as the type that doesn't want to get outshined. I don't foresee us hiring a bigger name, than he is. I don't think he wants anyone that will step in and challenge him. While I think that's what we need, Collins' ego simply won't allow it. I may be wrong. But, I am usually very good at reading people.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I said this once and I'll say it again. Collins strikes me as the type that doesn't want to get outshined. I don't foresee us hiring a bigger name, than he is. I don't think he wants anyone that will step in and challenge him. While I think that's what we need, Collins' ego simply won't allow it. I may be wrong. But, I am usually very good at reading people.
Don’t think he has a choice.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If Mullen wants to come to Tech, we should absolutely bring him in. He was very successful running Urban Meyer’s offense and was pretty successful at Mississippi State as their head coach (Orange Bowl notwithstanding 😉). If we somehow managed to get him, Collins could basically just hand him the keys to the offense and focus most of his attention on fixing the defense. Unfortunately, I have a hard time believing Mullen won’t get snapped up for one of the head coaching vacancies. And I have a hard time believing we could afford him.

Offense wasn't a problem for them in the orange bowl They actually set a record for passing. The issue was "they can't stop it folks"

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Here is a great quote from Holtz

"I think it's one word: recruiting," says Lou Holtz, who ran option football at five stops in his college coaching career, including with his Notre Dame national champion in 1988. "Once alumni started treating recruiting like it was a season in itself, it became very difficult to run the option. All of a sudden, [if you were an option team,] you couldn't get the dominant quarterback, because you weren't going to throw the football and get him ready for the NFL. You couldn't get the dominant left tackle, because you weren't going to teach him to pass-block. You couldn't get the dominant running back, because he wasn't going to be featured enough. Now, you can still win with the option even if you don't get those people, but if you're not getting those top recruits, the alumni start to think you're losing and you're not exciting enough."

Yep. In the same interview he said if he had to do it over again he'd have never stopped because national championships shut those people up quick

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
He's got a crappy OL in Miami... I think he's actually done ok there considering. College OC will be a totally different beast, of course--but I think we all need to give him a chance, I hope he does great!
He was also sacrificial lamb in Houston. Tough job to be OC with Brian Hoyer as your QB.

Tech ties aside, we keep talking up getting guys ready for the NFL. We have an NFL OC and QB coach and that talk means a bit more.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think the same BUT what if the light came on for our AD and he is the one pulling the strings ( did B** L**** ) pick George O'Leary

Jmonty71

Banned
No matter who takes the job 1/2 the people won't want them.
As long as they can score points and get Ws, I frankly don't care what 1/2 the people think. I want someone that doesn't have a boring offense, that has the dumbest and most predictable play calls. I want to see some long throws down the field. I want to see a confused defense and not ours..... I want to see us light the score board up on FBS schools... I want to see us give Clemson and UGA fits... So, as long as they bring on a winner, I could care less who it is.... But....that's me....