OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Man the amount of chaos in the college ranks amongst various colleges due to multiple HC changes! Mind is twisting about which OC and DC are now available or entertaining offers in the midst of it all. Reminds me of the skit “Who is on first?”
To those out there on the message board who are now the best available? This post doesn’t even begin to try to determine the amount of shuffling and possible de committing that might occur to these schools as they wait for the new staff to be named. What will the early signing period look like?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
He needs to hire a sports analysist. Think anyone at GT can crunch numbers??..
We have one.

Pat Boyle joined Georgia Tech’s football staff in 2019 as football research and analytics coordinator. In his role, Boyle collects and analyzes data to assist in all aspects of the Yellow Jackets’ football program, including game-planning, in-game strategy and recruiting.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have not read the whole thread, but are we in a hurry to hire a oc. ??
Our ol is substandard- none will go out due to portal. Next year looks like a reprint of this year.
Few if any of our ol will go out the portal. We should be making it clear ol starting spots are available.
I would like to see us buy a quality oc but we are broke so i hope we give a young oc a chance. Nevada, Coastal Carolina, and WKentucky OC are young and put up big numbers. They would use us as a stepping stone for a better paying job, but their energy could be just what we need for nesr future.

Heck lets go to run and shoot.

Jacket 83

Georgia Tech Fan
I just saw that Mike Bobo was fired as Auburn offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Does anyone know much about him? Would he be a good candidate for us?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Hiring failed coaches is always a path to success....

Plus he's a uga guy. Not a fan of the possibility.
I’m not sure I would call Bobo a failed coach, at least as an OC… he was extremely successful at UGA as their OC, and was pretty much the scapegoat for their failure to win a championship under Richt. They had a pretty massive fall-off on the offensive side of the ball when he departed in 2015, and struggled offensively since until this year really. He was also crucial in the development of Greene, Stafford, and Murray. 3 QBs who’s talents we’d kill to have.

He produced a very competent offense at Auburn this year (mid 60s in yards and PPG but 13th in OFEI) with an offensive line that statistically wasn't much different than Tech’s. At South Carolina where he took over the OC role in Muschamp’s lame duck year ended up being the interim HC and OC for the last 3 games he produced an OFEI of 72, which was better than Tech’s 96.

As far as him being a UGA guy, who cares? Vince Dooley was an Auburn guy. Bobby Dodd was a Tennessee guy. Brian Bohannon is a Georgia guy, and nobody seems to be opposed to his hiring. Bobo is a successful OC with connections all through the south. If Tech can get him I’d absolutely love it. Some of y’all need to get over your inferiority complex with UGA. Not hiring good coaches because they have UGA ties is dumb. Besides, if Collins were to be fired mid season, at least Bobo would have HC experience.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I just saw that Mike Bobo was fired as Auburn offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Does anyone know much about him? Would he be a good candidate for us?
gross dumb and dumber GIF

Don't understand the urning for old retread coaches because they once were in SEC programs.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not sure I would call Bobo a failed coach, at least as an OC… he was extremely successful at UGA as their OC, and was pretty much the scapegoat for their failure to win a championship under Richt. They had a pretty massive fall-off on the offensive side of the ball when he departed in 2015, and struggled offensively since until this year really. He was also crucial in the development of Greene, Stafford, and Murray. 3 QBs who’s talents we’d kill to have.

He produced a very competent offense at Auburn this year (mid 60s in yards and PPG but 13th in OFEI) with an offensive line that statistically wasn't much different than Tech’s. At South Carolina where he took over the OC role in Muschamp’s lame duck year ended up being the interim HC and OC for the last 3 games he produced an OFEI of 72, which was better than Tech’s 96.

As far as him being a UGA guy, who cares? Vince Dooley was an Auburn guy. Bobby Dodd was a Tennessee guy. Brian Bohannon is a Georgia guy, and nobody seems to be opposed to his hiring. Bobo is a successful OC with connections all through the south. If Tech can get him I’d absolutely love it. Some of y’all need to get over your inferiority complex with UGA. Not hiring good coaches because they have UGA ties is dumb. Besides, if Collins were to be fired mid season, at least Bobo would have HC experience.

Good post. I must say tho, it's really hard to get over the dwag.
I just don't want another Patrick Nix... but to be fair, they're two different people from different schools.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Good post. I must say tho, it's really hard to get over the dwag.
I just don't want another Patrick Nix... but to be fair, they're two different people from different schools.
It just doesn’t really matter to me where somebody played or coached at previously. Once you get into coaching everyone is trying to move up the ladder. And even if their end goal is to get back to their alma mater, the best way to do that is by beating them. Kirby put it on Georgia multiple times under Saban. Had Georgia beat Bama with Kirby at DC I’m not sure he would’ve ever gotten their HC job.

In some ways I think having someone with deep ties to UGA on the staff would be beneficial. Just like Key recruiting against Tech, they would be doing the same thing to the dwags. Also, their connections to high schools and their local fans may swing some people over to Tech’s side, especially if they have success. I’m not fully on board with hiring Bobo, but him being a Georgia guy has no influence on my opinion of him as a candidate. Just like it wouldn’t on Bohannon. Interesting some of the same folks who say we need to get away from coaches with Tech ties are also against coaches with UGA ties. Who better to get an outside perspective of the program than someone from UGA?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I admit i have paid him zero attention since he left uga, he was more of a old school Pro style OC at uga, has he adjusted his scheme to modern football? I am not necc. against a smashmouth style of football like Stanford, just wondering if he has adapted ot not? I don’t care about his ug ties either btw, i just want to win, his offenses at uga were very good Imo the last couple of seasons there.