OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
His recruiting at FLA is actually pretty damned good, just not on the level of Bama and uga which is obviously where they have to be to compete for the SEC.
UF’s highest rated commit from the state of Florida this year is ranked number 20 in Florida. There are 8 schools with a higher rated Florida commit than UF

In 2019 they had 1 single commit from the top 50 in Florida. Georgia Tech had 1 top 50 Florida commit in the 2021 class.

They are getting decimated in their own backyard for recruits. A lot of them are going to Georgia and Alabama, conference rivals. They can definitely stand to improve their recruiting.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
His recruiting at FLA is actually pretty damned good, just not on the level of Bama and uga which is obviously where they have to be to compete for the SEC.
True...by our exalted standards but top 20 classes do not stir the drink with Gator Nation. Their primary complaint is that he has allowed Kirby, among others, to make inroads into Florida snatching some of the best athletes that in prior years would have gone to Florida. It really raises their ire that Jacksonville and Ocala, once fertile recruiting grounds for the Gators have seen foreign powers, not just UGA, stealing players that Gator Nation felt were in their pocket. With this crowd, only top 10 classes will do but the main problem is that the Gators have not opened the checkbooks to playing players to the same degree as Georgia and Alabama. I am just retelling what I have heard from my Florida friends but it has the ring of truth. Top 20? I mock them. Tech should have such problems.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
True...by our exalted standards but top 20 classes do not stir the drink with Gator Nation. Their primary complaint is that he has allowed Kirby, among others, to make inroads into Florida snatching some of the best athletes that in prior years would have gone to Florida. It really raises their ire that Jacksonville and Ocala, once fertile recruiting grounds for the Gators have seen foreign powers, not just UGA, stealing players that Gator Nation felt were in their pocket. With this crowd, only top 10 classes will do but the main problem is that the Gators have not opened the checkbooks to playing players to the same degree as Georgia and Alabama. I am just retelling what I have heard from my Florida friends but it has the ring of truth. Top 20? I mock them. Tech should have such problems.
Their past 5 recruiting classes are ranked 21, 13, 10, 14, and 9. Current class is at 12- I wish we had those kind of problems....the real problem for them and the rest of the top teams is that nobody else has been able to recruit At the level of Saban and now Smart, they are running away with all the talent and nobody else has an answer

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Well if Bill o Brien gets hired away from bama, i could see mullen there. He's a spread guy.
Mullen has a winning record at FLA and Miss St, he’s a decent recruiter despite what FLa fans say. He’s going to be a head coach of a major school, not an assistant. He isn’t being fired for being a disgraceful failure, it’s more of a grass is always greener kind of situation. I hope UF isn’t heading down the road of UT, FSU, TX with this move, i’ve always pulled for them and depended on them to beat uga at the most opportune moments, and they have come thru quite often.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Mullen has a winning record at FLA and Miss St, he’s a decent recruiter despite what FLa fans say. He’s going to be a head coach of a major school, not an assistant. He isn’t being fired for being a disgraceful failure, it’s more of a grass is always greener kind of situation. I hope UF isn’t heading down the road of UT, FSU, TX with this move, i’ve always pulled for them and depended on them to beat uga at the most opportune moments, and they have come thru quite often.
We agree to disagree. Go on Swamp Gas or Gator Country and see just what they think of him. Personally, I am glad he is gone so I won't have to listen to my Florida friends continually complain about him. Florida is always going to get very good recruiting classes, the question is whether they can get the elite recruits that are now going to Alabama and UGA.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah agree, would prefer someone with experience and mucho success calling plays at some level of FB. I actually think Choice would make an interesting interim head coach if it comes to that in a couple of years. He has that IT factor in my mind to be a really good CEO type of HC
Doesn’t Tech, and most schools for that matter require the HC have at least a Masters Degree?

GTcanWINagain

Banned
C3E8FFD2-3DDE-487D-87F1-9A7793E39C21.png

Let’s hire this guy - and get all of the national PR for doing so - and let him hire his own OC and DC (one of whom will be our HC in waiting).
Yes, I know he is 84 but what the hell!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
My understanding is that Kelly wanted the job and CPJ also wanted him as permanent DC. The big-money alumni guys took the choice away and brought Roof back in
Pretty sure in an interview CPJ said that we couldn’t compete with the money FSU was offering. I might not be remembering correctly as it’s been a while.

slugboy

Staff member
Pretty sure in an interview CPJ said that we couldn’t compete with the money FSU was offering. I might not be remembering correctly as it’s been a while.
I remember it as “I can’t hire him right now, I need a name brand”. He’d missed on coordinator hires.

Too bad we can’t get Napier as OC, just for the friction

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I remember it as “I can’t hire him right now, I need a name brand”. He’d missed on coordinator hires.

Too bad we can’t get Napier as OC, just for the friction

It's AJC so take it for what its worth, but it is supposed to be based on a discussion with CPJ
Charles Kelly, whom Johnson describes as one of his best friends, became the interim defensive coordinator. Under Kelly, Tech gave up 17, 41, 13, 50, 24, 42, 21 and 7 points. Tech finished 43rd in total defense and 65th in scoring defense with an average of 28.29 points per game. Johnson said Kelly would have become Tech's defensive coordinator, but he accepted a position at Florida State.

slugboy

Staff member
Oh, look who is available. If you want to complain about scheme and play calling, look no further

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if TJ Yates wants to come hang out with his nephew next year(if Jordan hangs around)? Some NFL passing game coordinators have had recent success jumping to an OC role in the NCAA and find themselves at the NFL level as an OC now.

*Edit - helps to have a Heisman QB to*