OC and DC replacement thoughts!!

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
The man can coach, but no, no, no to Briles. We'll be on probation in 2 years flat. Maybe if three if we get rid of all the girls on campus and go back to male-only.

The apple don't fall far from the tree, either.

Not sure if we could get him, but I'd make a serious run at Bill Bedenbaugh at OU. He played OL for and coached with Mike Leach and is the current OL and co-OC for Lincoln Riley. He's produced an All Big-12 OL every year and the 2018 OL won the best unit award. I guess it'd be a step down for him ... (but not if we nabbed him as HC?)
Yeah Briles is untouchable at this point. Up there with Petrino.

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
I know I'm in the minority on this, but I think we're okay offensively.

Defensively, I think we're in over our head. Either our guys aren't learning well or our coaches aren't teaching well on that side of the ball. Too much confusion and too many missed assignments.
Im in the same mindset, our offense is scoring around 30 per game, just imagine if we could stop 5 more 3rd and longs per game, giving our offense around 5 more trys to reach the endzone. We need to focus on our back 7 right now. Just starting to see some edge rush this year from our new DE. This should improve next year with growth from scott and Biggers. hopefully our DT'S stay committed this year. Both new LB have been injured this year, hoping we see some flashes from them next year. Looking forward to Edwards making a splash next year. We have some guys coming up, just hope they mature quickly enough to help these next two years.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I would look for coordinator(s) that have a proven record of making in game adjustments. Too many times this year, we have started out okay but really struggle as opposing coaches make changes to their schemes. We really struggle to have Plans A, B and C on both sides of the ball.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Force CGC to prove he can coach by making him be HC/DC. Basically everybody on defense replaced. OC is mostly fine. Averaging like 28 points across the season is nothing to fire anybody over. Maybe find a new TE coach, since we don't seem to be getting much from that position.

gtyj18jr

Jolly Good Fellow
Hypothetically if Dan Mullen is fired... Do you think he'd have any interest in running our offense for 2 or 3 years?

He has an existing relationship with Geoff Collins going back to MSST days. Geoff could promise him full autonomy. (Obviously GT would have to pony up for a serious offensive coordinator, but perhaps that is something we could manage with the UF buyout being $12,000,000.)

We do have some promising young QB, WR, TE, RBs... OL is basically a full rebuild. Could rehab his image with a GT turnaround sooner than going to HC a smaller school.

For the record, I don't think he gets fired at UF.
I think if he survives another 1-3 years before finally getting fired, he could be a head coach replacement candidate.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Offensively, unless we have a homerun choice lined up I don't think we should change. We've improved year over year and while it may not be as fast as some would like if the defense was on a similar pattern we'd not only have more wins but have a much rosier future. Maintaining continuity to build on what we have improved on is, imo, more likely to yield better results than bringing in a new cast entirely on that side of the ball.

Defensively we absolutely need to make a move if for no other reason to get a new voice in the room to maybe shake things up. No idea who I would get but maybe a former HC who could play the mentor role to Collins like I imagine Rev does for Pastner. On a very quick look someone like Charlie Strong or Kevin Steele would be great but there are about 20 responses I could think of to both of those ideas.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Any change in DC or OC should be for a thoroughly proven coach, like we did with Ross ( if CBR couldn't have done it, the problems were definitely not coaching). Spend more, or else the chances of spending less going to waste, are high. No, I don't know where the money would come from, but I do know it would be cheaper to hire two Co-ord coaches than an entire staff and avoid buyout expenses of CGC. This way, we would keep CGC's recruiting strengths and fix the obvious to anyone, coaching deficits.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Any change in DC or OC should be for a thoroughly proven coach, like we did with Ross ( if CBR couldn't have done it, the problems were definitely not coaching). Spend more, or else the chances of spending less going to waste, are high. No, I don't know where the money would come from, but I do know it would be cheaper to hire two Co-ord coaches than an entire staff and avoid buyout expenses of CGC. This way, we would keep CGC's recruiting strengths and fix the obvious to anyone, coaching deficits.
Agreed, AD Stansbury needs to find some donor money, and i’m thinking minimum 1 million per year to pay for a proven DC, and yes that DC might be a head coach in waiting (ala O’Leary) if CGC doesn’t get his sh!t together next season

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to talk about coaching changes at all until after two more games. However, if coaching changes are made, I want whoever comes in to run a scheme that meshes with the type of players we currently have on our team and our current recruits. I'm tired of switching back-and-forth between the 3-4 and 4-3 alignment every time we change DC's and then 1/3 of our defensive players are "not built" for the defense we have. I think that was part of the problem CPJ had 4-3 (Womack) to 3-4 0-technique (Groh) to 4-3 (Roof) to 3-4 (Woody). There was never a continuity of scheme for our players and we always ended up with tweeners.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think we are building for a 4 man Def-line based on the number of DT’s and DE’s that we have and are recruiting

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to talk about coaching changes at all until after two more games. However, if coaching changes are made, I want whoever comes in to run a scheme that meshes with the type of players we currently have on our team and our current recruits. I'm tired of switching back-and-forth between the 3-4 and 4-3 alignment every time we change DC's and then 1/3 of our defensive players are "not built" for the defense we have. I think that was part of the problem CPJ had 4-3 (Womack) to 3-4 0-technique (Groh) to 4-3 (Roof) to 3-4 (Woody). There was never a continuity of scheme for our players and we always ended up with tweeners.

Womack actually ran a multiple. 4-3 and 3-3-5 stack.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Now that I am thinking about this since I think we replace our HC next year I don't want to waste a hire on an OC or DC. A new HC comes in and will deserve some input. Lets just repeat the last 3 years one more time and start over.