Observation

slugboy

Staff member
Curious if there’s anyone here that has knowledge of the financial situation for GTAA back in the days of Cremins…I think that many would consider those days our hey day.

Obviously, the landscape of college basketball is completely different, but I just wonder where Cremins salary was in comparison to his peers. Was he considered to be middle of the pack, above average?

How was the financial health back then? I know we didn’t have stadium cost, so I assume we where in better spot. While I followed the program back then, I had no clue about that type of thing.
I don’t have the numbers, but I was a student for part of it. The revenue was OK. The basketball arena (Alexander Memorial at the time) was usually full. The football stadium was smaller, but mostly full except for a couple of games. We caught more flak for the size and condition of our stadium than our attendance. Expenses were lower. The AA seemed to be profitable and well run.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe it's due to some of the struggles we've had this year, but this place seems like a morgue lately. The level of animosity and general negativity regarding the program is head-scratching.

Unfortunately, it seems that they're running people off from the board. This is my observation, but it seems that for the most part, "discussion" has left town and the negative nellies now rule the roost.

Sure, you're going to have that with all message boards, but outside of 7-8 members (who seem to be posting less and less), it's the same ole tired crap.

That is sad because this used to be one of the best places around to talk GT hoops. Let's all do better!
You can talk hoops and still be upset. I feel that you go after every single person who doesn’t say something positive. I just think people need to be real. And in reality Tech is going to finish last in the ACC. Tech is going to win 5 or less ACC games. It’s ok for people to express that. It’s alright for people to feel that next yr right now does not look good. Even when Tech went 13-19 and 14-18 you felt you had a one two punch with Jose/Mike. And it came out to be true. Where do you see that right now? I don’t. And that’s ok for me to express that.

It’s just not ok for me to see this type of team when Tech won the ACC, made the NCAA and had back to back winning season. I expect better. I expect better recruiting. I expect better transfers or a transfer when there are glaring needs.

That’s ok and it doesn’t ruin the board.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
You can talk hoops and still be upset. I feel that you go after every single person who doesn’t say something positive. I just think people need to be real. And in reality Tech is going to finish last in the ACC. Tech is going to win 5 or less ACC games. It’s ok for people to express that. It’s alright for people to feel that next yr right now does not look good. Even when Tech went 13-19 and 14-18 you felt you had a one two punch with Jose/Mike. And it came out to be true. Where do you see that right now? I don’t. And that’s ok for me to express that.

It’s just not ok for me to see this type of team when Tech won the ACC, made the NCAA and had back to back winning season. I expect better. I expect better recruiting. I expect better transfers or a transfer when there are glaring needs.

That’s ok and it doesn’t ruin the board.
Here’s my question...if you ask ACC experts that are totally unbiased, what would they say about the program this year and going forward? You would think they would say it’s in trouble.

CLM

Jolly Good Fellow
Here’s my question...if you ask ACC experts that are totally unbiased, what would they say about the program this year and going forward? You would think they would say it’s in trouble.
Exactly. But as Iowa state and Wake have shown you this yr you can be very bad and then very good with some lucky and good transfers.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw someone mentioned style of play and Auburn. I think that’s one thing hurting us too. We play a somewhat boring style of offense and Josh demands defense. While auburn and other SEC teams are playing fast pace, run and gun style of offense that the HS kids all want to play now, with little D. I think he really hurt himself this year by not trying to switch it up and push the temp more. We have nothing in the post that can do what Lammers, Banks or especially Moses did. Trying to run through Saba or Howard at the foul line has been a disaster this year.
It starts with recruiting. I don’t think we have been good assessors of big man talent. Then you have to be good developer of that talent. Oops……First you have to have enough charisma to sell the school and program. There is a disconnect. I really thought we’d cash in because of last year. Instead, it’s year 1 of another 5 year plan. “I just don’t get it”

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
If I recall we were a preseason pick of no better than 10th place in the conference. Seems the media had a pretty good idea we were going to be a bad team this year. I expect they will see much the same for next year barring and superstar transfers which CJP has never landed.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Right now with the combination of family issues and then both the FB and BB programs really not doing well this year it is difficult to get up to talk about them.

Ironically most of our non-revenue sports are doing really well but the 2 main revenue producers are both struggling mightily this year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I personally don't think this board is overly negative given the condition of the two revenue sports. I have long advocated for putting more money into BB and basically do everything to lock down Georgia as a feeder to our program. FSU and Auburn should not be getting this kids, period. We should be in the top three for the majority of the top players in the state. No reason we can't do in BB what UGA has done in FB.

And I like the game chats as an out of state fan, feels like Im at a bar watching the game.
I’ve always heard that Georgia is an even better state for basketball recruits than it is for football.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Unfortunately last night isn't going to do much to liven things up around here :cautious:

I literally have missed the last 4-5 games. I'm the #1 basketball poster on this site** and didn't even know we were playing, including last night. I've been on GT basketball since the early 90's and have fallen off bad.

c62 has a great point. The good posters are largely staying away, for a plethora of reasons. No we're not a ranked team but we've been worse in prior years but have had more activity here than we do now. Not sure what to put the blame on.

Unfortunately the vacuum left by the good posters has been filled by negative nancies, for the most part. Even last year, as we were winning, activity seemed down(ish). Just a weird dynamic.

But I can say, in my case, my sports consumption habits have changed drastically. I barely watch games anymore at all, so it's not just a GT thing for me.

(** Just said that to see if dtm's eyes literally roll outta his head.)

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I literally have missed the last 4-5 games. I'm the #1 basketball poster on this site** and didn't even know we were playing, including last night. I've been on GT basketball since the early 90's and have fallen off bad.

c62 has a great point. The good posters are largely staying away, for a plethora of reasons. No we're not a ranked team but we've been worse in prior years but have had more activity here than we do now. Not sure what to put the blame on.

Unfortunately the vacuum left by the good posters has been filled by negative nancies, for the most part. Even last year, as we were winning, activity seemed down(ish). Just a weird dynamic.

But I can say, in my case, my sports consumption habits have changed drastically. I barely watch games anymore at all, so it's not just a GT thing for me.

(** Just said that to see if dtm's eyes literally roll outta his head.)
Miss you brotha!! One of these days, I'm going to get you down to a game!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
God I’m going to get heat on here for this, but what is there to be optimistic about? I see people say the core is in place, but I feel like they couldn’t be more wrong. There is uncertainty across the board after Usher and Devoe leave. PG and Center play is as bad as I’ve ever seen at GT. The health of the program relies on the portal this offseason, and we’ve seen that you can hit or miss pretty significantly in that area. It’s frustrating a bit to read how much Pastner is blaming the struggles this year on Bubba being out. Basically the only thing this team does well is shoot from the perimeter. It’s the interior play and finishing at the hoop which is scary bad. Now I totally get if people disagree across the board with me, but I’m not trolling and welcome any conversation about what I’m incorrect with.
Just like baseball- be strong down the middle and build around that. Same with football. The first person Paul Brown fired at Cincinnati was his center
Devoe is not a point guard and he is often having to start the offense off the dribble. He has other skills and tough to score off the point. We desperately needed a good replacement for Moses. Ush and Mike are having to carry the scoring and that's tough. Coleman looks to have high potential and J Moore has looked good at times. Maxwell needs minutes. He has potential to be really good. Next year could be a long season if we don't get some help at 4 and 5.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Just like baseball- be strong down the middle and build around that. Same with football. The first person Paul Brown fired at Cincinnati was his center
Devoe is not a point guard and he is often having to start the offense off the dribble. He has other skills and tough to score off the point. We desperately needed a good replacement for Moses. Ush and Mike are having to carry the scoring and that's tough. Coleman looks to have high potential and J Moore has looked good at times. Maxwell needs minutes. He has potential to be really good. Next year could be a long season if we don't get some help at 4 and 5.
1/2 the production of Moses and Tech would have at least a .500 or better ACC record and most of us would be a lot more optimistic

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
By board standards, I'm pretty new. I was a lurker (reader) for a number of years, but am due to retire soon which has free'd some time up to post. I like the basketball and football talk in both forums and honestly don't care if guys complain as long as it's observational. I'm prone to the occasional errant hot take like most.

I've been coaching basketball at the high school level the last three years, so I talk ball with my team often obviously. Interestingly, this last week we went full Pastner and busted out the 1-3-1 to combat a big that went for 29 pts/19 reb against us last matchup. We held him to 14/8 on the rematch; still lost, but better. It worked well enough we are going to give it another shot next game.

My challenge is catching the games on broadcast. ACC network is available, but a busy house and our own film breakdown cuts into GT tv time.

It feels like Howard's ankle injury derailed some progress much like Lammers injury a few years ago. We are not great because Devoe is responsible for way too much scoring effort. I like the new guys and hope next year will even out. This seems like a transition year. I believe we'll improve, just have to ride out the growth.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree the mood on here is down and depressing. I have been a fan for 50 years and I have never been so completely down on the men’s football team as I am now, and it came right when UGA has its best team ever. And I was very excited when CGC was hired. And now the men’s basketball team is in last place. I cannot wait for things to change. I am going to buy my season tix to football again because I want to support Tech but I have never been less excited. Thanks goodness for women’s basketball and volleyball.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
By board standards, I'm pretty new. I was a lurker (reader) for a number of years, but am due to retire soon which has free'd some time up to post. I like the basketball and football talk in both forums and honestly don't care if guys complain as long as it's observational. I'm prone to the occasional errant hot take like most.

I've been coaching basketball at the high school level the last three years, so I talk ball with my team often obviously. Interestingly, this last week we went full Pastner and busted out the 1-3-1 to combat a big that went for 29 pts/19 reb against us last matchup. We held him to 14/8 on the rematch; still lost, but better. It worked well enough we are going to give it another shot next game.

My challenge is catching the games on broadcast. ACC network is available, but a busy house and our own film breakdown cuts into GT tv time.

It feels like Howard's ankle injury derailed some progress much like Lammers injury a few years ago. We are not great because Devoe is responsible for way too much scoring effort. I like the new guys and hope next year will even out. This seems like a transition year. I believe we'll improve, just have to ride out the growth.
ESPN+ gives you all the games on replay.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

With post like this one, you should definitely post more often! Are you coaching in the Atlanta area?