Observation and Overreaction

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think this entire argument/thread is dumb but anyway...you named 2 players from an entire decade of football rosters and thought you made some sort of point? It’s all silly anyway, the guy you’re arguing with is silly, you’re silly, I’m silly, etc. It’s all silly.
Absolutely!! Message boards are ridiculous by nature and I’ve never understood how folks get so worked up over any post. This isn’t real life.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
With the way so many GT fans are treating Collins I hope he decides after this season to own it and do what has to be done. In other words cut the fat of guys who have no position and just can’t get it done. We all know who they are as we see if every week. I’m sure BC will again amplify the fact that many GT juniors and seniors are freaking slow and can’t cover.

If Collins makes adjustments based only to appease fans, he will not be successful imo. The old adage that those who listen to fans end up sitting with them is true. OTOH, if he makes wise decisions based on reflection, input from people he trusts and data analysis, that is vital and necessary in the long run for success for anyone in a leadership position. But to sacrifice virgins and goats to appease a fan base and buy time and goodwill is a fool's errand and will not bode well in the long term. Look at how many DC's we went through in the prior regime. Changing coaches in and of itself is no guarantee of improved performance.

Milwaukee

Banned
If Collins makes adjustments based only to appease fans, he will not be successful imo. The old adage that those who listen to fans end up sitting with them is true. OTOH, if he makes wise decisions based on reflection, input from people he trusts and data analysis, that is vital and necessary in the long run for success for anyone in a leadership position. But to sacrifice virgins and goats to appease a fan base and buy time and goodwill is a fool's errand and will not bode well in the long term. Look at how many DC's we went through in the prior regime. Changing coaches in and of itself is no guarantee of improved performance.
Why did you delete posts?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We always appreciate customer feedback. May I suggest a seperate thread in the swarm lounge?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If me calling a general group of unnamed players slow is bashing then you must watch games on mute. Every announcer calls players “to slow” or “to short” to cover X. There is no bashing going on. It’s called discussing. What are we suppose to say when every WR from UCF, Syracuse, and Clemson runs past our defensive players to catch a pass? Is it bashing if I say Gibbs is pretty darn fast? This isn’t freaking rec ball where we all go to Dairy Queen after the game. If a player doesn’t like how people describe his play then do something about it.
Every team I know does skill trials .. strength tests, agility test, speed ... and they compare those stats to standards and to other teams.

I don’t see a problem stating a simple fact that a player may not be as fast as they guy he’s matched against. That’s football.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Radakovich is an Indiana University of Pennsylvania alum. He got an MBA from Miami. They wear orange, but that doesn't make him a Clemson alum.

I didn't say that Radakovich didn't want to run the option, but Mushchamp was his guy. He was overruled by the board who wanted Johnson. When you don't let an AD hire the football coach, you may as well fire him. But it's probably correct that he didn't see a future in the option.

And another thing you got wrong: The offense does impact defensive recruiting. Players on D don't want to practice against an offense that they would not see in the NFL. That was used against us on the recruiting trail.

If your point is correct that the option doesn't impact defensive recruiting, then why was our defensive recruiting so bad? Look at the ATL for the front 7 and you will see that.

If you want to say that Johnson's staff was loaded with guys who were poor recruiters, I would agree. Coach McCollum did pretty well as a recruiter, which shows that we could have done better with a better staff with more McCollum level recruiters.

Oh ****, I genuinely thought he was a Clemson alum.

Also, I don’t think the TO affected defensive recruiting. I think CPJ and company just sucked at defensive recruiting. CPJ rarely fielded a good defense anywhere he went as a HEAD coach. However, when he was an offensive coordinator, GASO had good defenses. I don’t think he and/or his staff were great at evaluating defensive talent.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
A few observations about today.
1. Coming out on the first play not ready to play and letting the BC D-Line walk right into the back field and bust up the opening play....saved by a roughing call.
2. .Setting up to punt from the opposing team's 28 yard line in the first quarter....have never seen that in over 50 years of watching football and for good reason. It is ridiculous. If you are going to have the punter throw from there, run a play and let your QB do it.
3. A stupid on-sides kick in the second quarter, and to make it worse, telegraphing with an on-sides set up. Cannot surprise them that way. Dumb!
4. A defense in which the players are looking to the sideline for a call a second or two before the ball is snapped. They are often not lined and up and ready when the ball is snapped.
5. A defense in which the players have no idea which receivers to cover and where they leave the entire secondary open for the BC QB, who is very slow, to make easy long runs.
6. Another missed extra point.
7. Players who look like they do not want to be out there.
8. Continually turning 2nd and short into 3rd and long.....bad play calling.
9. Playing passively on offense and defense. There is no passion.
10. After bad plays, the players get pats on the helmet when they get to the sideline but no coaching!

The defensive coordinator needs to go, and CGC has no clue how to manage a game. They are lost out there. Very poor coaching. I could go on.

Loong time season ticket holder and will remain so. But this reminds me of Bill Lewis' team.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was very good friend of a players family at GT during the BL travesty. The families of the players lost confidence in the coach for multiple reasons including lack of communication with them. I don't think we have that specific issue but GC can lose the players desire to compete gor him if he isn't careful. These kids want to win and they want the staff to help them do that. So far I am not impressed. I hope they don't give up on him.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I saw a comment, whether in chat or a thread about first quarters this year. I found it interesting, so I looked at the data.
I have summed our total points, and I have summed our points ignoring the first quarter. I did it twice and removed Clemson in one of them.

No Clemson
1603595760806.png

With Clemson
1603595738278.png

We *have* to start beginning games with more urgency. Excluding Clemson, we are being out scored by 44 points in the first quarter.

I did look at last year, and it seems like it was an issue as well last year. Outscored by 64 in the first, vs only 129 the remaining three quarters.
1603595667439.png

Attachments

• 1603595285941.png
    1603595285941.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 1603595307672.png
    1603595307672.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 1603595499777.png
    1603595499777.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 6

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
👀👀👀 sheesh.
Again it looks like a preparedness issue.

We do well on defense in the 2nd half. Almost every game minus clemson we have done well.

Our best bet is to hope we receive the ball first and try and kill the clock in the first quarter. We definitely look more lost on defense in the 1st quarter. Teams gameplan against us really well for opening drives.

GTBaseball

Georgia Tech Fan
We're 2-4, lost to BC and Syracuse, got ****ed over by Clemson and have no signs of prevail (yet), so what now for the Jackets?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We're 2-4, lost to BC and Syracuse, got ****ed over by Clemson and have no signs of prevail (yet), so what now for the Jackets?
post #113 in the thread 'defensive regression" written by @ilovetheoption is a great perspective. You appear to be new but this poster has been on this site awhile. He/She is a fan of Uva but was adopted GT as a fan when CPJ arrived for what I think should be obvious reasons. It is a great perspective from outside looking in from someone who is very familiar with our program. Tried to link it unsuccesfully,