Obscure Vocabulary Words

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
And honestly, I imagine if I were still working a "real job" (i.e. a "high paying" job), I would be using it too. I used the buzz words liberally (corporate code switching if you will) in my day as I needed the paycheck.Had mouths to feed and bills to pay. Survivalism in the postmodern world. It worked. I jumped off the merry go round and left on my own volition. Left all the jargon in the trash and my good stapler on my desk for the next guy. :)
Boston or Swingline?

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
And honestly, I imagine if I were still working a "real job" (i.e. a "high paying" job), I would be using it too. I used the buzz words liberally (corporate code switching if you will) in my day as I needed the paycheck.Had mouths to feed and bills to pay. Survivalism in the postmodern world. It worked. I jumped off the merry go round and left on my own volition. Left all the jargon in the trash and my good stapler on my desk for the next guy. :)
I remember when changing jobs and taking your stapler was serious stuff.

When I retired the only thing I had to turn in was the laptop. Office supplies were so 20th century.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
where did the conversation on Key staff go?
It didn't go anywhere. There's just the normal drift that gets interspersed in and amongst the relevant posts. Think about any conversation you have with anyone, even on a very focused topic. Sometimes something causes the conversation to drift a little. Happens everywhere. Besides, who doesn't appreciate a good red Swingline reference?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It’s causing a feeling of leucocholy on the board.
Although she has never used that specific phrase, this is what my wife has in mind when I am on the Swarm or fishing or playing golf. Or to paraphrase WC Fields....I spent most of my time on wine, women, games and song....the rest of it was wasted along the way.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
It didn't go anywhere. There's just the normal drift that gets interspersed in and amongst the relevant posts. Think about any conversation you have with anyone, even on a very focused topic. Sometimes something causes the conversation to drift a little. Happens everywhere. Besides, who doesn't appreciate a good red Swingline reference?
normal for you, ok. rest of us who want to read about GT , not normal

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
normal for you, ok. rest of us who want to read about GT , not normal
Are you inferring that forensicbuzz is Abby?

Screenshot_20230129-174200.png

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
LOL! you must not spend much time on GTSwarm or online or talking to people. Ask the moderators how often they clean up threads. It's quite normal. Do a quick google search.
I am the absolute worst at creating thread drift and was aware of this even when a moderator. I am in the minority here but I enjoy the occasional side bar discussions about flying elephants or etymology or whatever infinitely more entertaining/stimulating than any more takes on "do stars matter?", "should we return to an option based system?", or "appropriate uniforms and colors". There has not been an original thought posted on those topics in at least 5 years or more to the best of my knowledge. However, those are the bread and butter here and what kept the hefty bonus checks rolling in for the staff here. I never bit the hand that fed me and may have been guilty, if I am being completely transparent here, of fanning the fire with the sole purpose of driving up views and responses. Yeah, it was cheap and sordid, but our compensation was/is (I am assuming here) based purely on volume. Not quality. Just one more example of me putting aside personal beliefs to provide for the missus and the 12 kids. I am thankful that Ma Tech taught me how to just put my head down and grind all those years ago. I don't understand how a person makes it otherwise in these times.

WTBS, how do you feel about our G/Navy/W combo?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The site was much more interesting when it was less moderated. To me, moderators should address the bickering and personal attacks. The rest can be handled by peers.

Edit: The one caveat is when a thread had a ton of active currency. Right now, there's not a real discussion about the staff anymore right now, so topic drift in that thread isn't really a bad thing. Topic drift in the Portal/NIL threads is more distracting.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
But does it bother anyone that words are constantly changing? Pronunciation, meaning and what was once considered incorrect can all change. All it seems to take is for incorrect usage to become popular. Then it’s like the grammar gods give up and say, “ok, that’s now acceptable.”

Makes it hard to identify who the smart people are. 😊

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
But does it bother anyone that words are constantly changing? Pronunciation, meaning and what was once considered incorrect can all change. All it seems to take is for incorrect usage to become popular. Then it’s like the grammar gods give up and say, “ok, that’s now acceptable.”

Makes it hard to identify who the smart people are. 😊
That's the definition of lexicography. Dictionaries are proscriptive, not descriptive. Dictionaries are living documents in that they don't define what the word means statically, they define what the word means in its current use. Lexicographers are constantly revising dictionary definitions because the meaning of the word changes with use. A great read on this is Kory Stamper's Word by Word. She is a lexicographer that used to work for Merriam-Webster.

1675039063295.png