O line 💗

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Having an elusive and fast qb doesn’t hurt, either!
Which brings me to my one wish for the OL in the off season. I want to see more flexibility and speed out of the whole bunch. (Btw, I'd like to see that in the DL too, but I digress.) I thought some of the guys were carrying about 10 - 15 pounds too much. I know that nowadays the preference is for OLs over 310. And that's ok, if the players in question are exceptional (Ugag is a good example). I'd rather see us trying to get most of our players down to 300 - 305. I'm not pushing a lean, mean fighting machine, a la Paul. Still, I think a bit more flex and foot speed would help, especially in pass protection.

But, hey, this is just me. No doubt Key has sound opinions on the matter.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
It looks like we are building depth. I like the athleticism of some of the new recruits we signed. Develop the OL room organically. Redshirt, weight room, nutrition- work them into the rotation. Cultivate leadership from within the group. Have a plan of succession and a mindset of being the best. I think we are on our way. An elite OL equals a mature , hardworking team dedicated to winning that leads GT every year.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Which brings me to my one wish for the OL in the off season. I want to see more flexibility and speed out of the whole bunch. (Btw, I'd like to see that in the DL too, but I digress.) I thought some of the guys were carrying about 10 - 15 pounds too much. I know that nowadays the preference is for OLs over 310. And that's ok, if the players in question are exceptional (Ugag is a good example). I'd rather see us trying to get most of our players down to 300 - 305. I'm not pushing a lean, mean fighting machine, a la Paul. Still, I think a bit more flex and foot speed would help, especially in pass protection.

But, hey, this is just me. No doubt Key has sound opinions on the matter.
Switching to the DL their technique really could use work this offseason. The DTs are very slow to react to the snap. They may just not have the quick twitch needed. I would think S&T training would help a lot there. They also get vertical way to quickly thus they get very little penetration/disruption. Again this is mostly technique. We need some serious coaching there.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It looks like we are building depth. I like the athleticism of some of the new recruits we signed. Develop the OL room organically. Redshirt, weight room, nutrition- work them into the rotation. Cultivate leadership from within the group. Have a plan of succession and a mindset of being the best. I think we are on our way. An elite OL equals a mature , hardworking team dedicated to winning that leads GT every year.
That's the ideal.

For a realtively athleic hs OL men , it takes 5 years to really be physically elite.
When Baylor had not won a big 8 or swc game in 5 years they built that ol culture - 2 ol to nfl. When they went to air raid the qbs and wr self recruited. in a few years they went from being close to shutting down to beating OU.

In the portal era, a good ol will make it easier to attract good QB or that needed ELITE WR. .

Ideas to make it happen
State that Gt will be known for OL.
Pay ast ol coach a good base salary, but give big incentives for consistant high performance (acc awards, all american, nfl draft)

Have ol consultants team of retired pro coaches to help the ast coach. .

Recruit nationally in major cities. ..
Of course recruit good & and gifted players that are likely to have upside. Give and get a commitmen for 5 year to play 4. With Tutoring and HS advance credits - kids get degree in 2 5 years. Need to carry extra workouts if not making athletic progress.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Switching to the DL their technique really could use work this offseason. The DTs are very slow to react to the snap. They may just not have the quick twitch needed. I would think S&T training would help a lot there. They also get vertical way to quickly thus they get very little penetration/disruption. Again this is mostly technique. We need some serious coaching there.
LOL. You should apply for their coaching job. You seem to know more about it than our current coachs. You guys are pathetic.Ha Ha

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
LOL. You should apply for their coaching job. You seem to know more about it than our current coachs. You guys are pathetic.Ha Ha
Question for you. Are you able to see comparative speed between two objects when you watch them? For example, can you tell when two cars are at a stoplight and the light turns green whether one is quicker to move than another when one visibly moves first and gets through the intersection before the other (in other words there’s an obvious difference, say a Corvette versus a school bus)? Better example would he watching a drag race. If the camera work is good you can usually tell which car got off the line quicker than the other. And it doesn’t take a mechanical engineering degree or to be an automobile engineer in order to do so. When you see which car won you can speculate, without being a race mechanic, that one car might have more horsepower than the other or a better selection of gearing for the conditions and the track or just a driver with better reflexes. You won’t know for sure but you can probably say, without having to be an expert, that the car is lacking something and that the mechanics and engineers on that team probably need to work on that.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Question for you. Are you able to see comparative speed between two objects when you watch them? For example, can you tell when two cars are at a stoplight and the light turns green whether one is quicker to move than another when one visibly moves first and gets through the intersection before the other (in other words there’s an obvious difference, say a Corvette versus a school bus)? Better example would he watching a drag race. If the camera work is good you can usually tell which car got off the line quicker than the other. And it doesn’t take a mechanical engineering degree or to be an automobile engineer in order to do so. When you see which car won you can speculate, without being a race mechanic, that one car might have more horsepower than the other or a better selection of gearing for the conditions and the track or just a driver with better reflexes. You won’t know for sure but you can probably say, without having to be an expert, that the car is lacking something and that the mechanics and engineers on that team probably need to work on that.
What a stupid analogy. Ha Ha. Your point is really about ability, not coaching. Good grief. And 8 lines to say so little?

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
What a stupid analogy. Ha Ha. Your point is really about ability, not coaching. Good grief. And 8 lines to say so little?
Actually my post is not about coaching at all. It IS about ability. It's about the ability of a normal person to evaluate something they see. But the fact that you got that the analogy is NOT about coaching shows it was a good analogy and you just didn't get the point. Not surprising. Sad that your only recourse is insults. It says so much about you.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
They had a very clearly defined system and were coached to execute at a high level.
PJ was absolutely brilliant taking average talent and making them elite based on his scheme and knowledge of how to make it go. The problem is the defense had average talent and no real scheme advantage. So the way we won was to score on most possessions and limit the number of possessions. It is so tough to win with average players without some scheme edge. The only time we really had a scheme on defense was under Tenuta. His scheme of heavy blitz also allowed him to recruit Linebackers who loved the aggressivenesss on defense. But in today's world of quick passes (almost West Coast in nature), I am doubtful it would work.