Notre Dame to Under Armour

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
We should pick a uniform and stick to it, changing uniforms every year is just tiresome. Teams like USC, Wisconsin, Alabama, Auburn, Nebraska, LSU, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, etc have pretty much had the same exact uniforms for years if not decades. I know Nebraska had a different uniform for a game or two this year. I know for a fact that Alabama, Auburn, LSU, and Texas have hardly touched their uniforms, and they look sharp and classy on the field. Maybe not so much off the field...

We should just wear the 2006 UVA throwbacks every game and be done with it. In return, we would get brand recognition and a sharp a$$ looking uniform.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
:) If they can't get our uni's right I guess we can't expect them to get georgraphy correct. Note to anyone at Russell...GT is in ATL. Not Forsyth, Ga.
Being from Forsyth, I have to ask...."huh?". Not that I'm doubting you, I'm just wondering what you are referring to here. If you are referring to where the dot is on their map, did you see where they put FAMU (which is supposed to be in Tallahasse).

gtwin

Georgia Tech Fan
Man, look at the roster of schools RA has put together: http://team.russellathletic.com/collegiate-sponsorships.html

Who wouldn't wanna be on that team? :meh: Kinda like being a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a used Honda Civic.

All I've ever heard was that RA offered us more money, way back when, than Nike and an upstart UA. I'm no economist, but I'd venture to say we'd gain back whatever meager sum RA paid us over the Nike/UA deals in marketing alone.

Oh and yes uniforms matter.

That is some BS right there^^^

Nothing like surrounding yourself with crap...look at the company being kept. Not sure why Clemson is on there, their uniforms are Nike.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not the least bit swayed about the Russell/Nike controversy. I really don't care if they wear jeans while playing as long as they win. Who cares how a team looks if it is losing? This reminds me of several of my son's comments about his looks.

His lady friend told him he should exercise and slim down so he would look good. He replied, "Yes, when I die, I want everyone to look in my casket and say, "boy doesn't he look good"! Or his other remark about looking good! One of his friends told him to take up running to trim down. His reply, "If you ever see me running, shoot the guy behind me"!
I laughed!

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Hey man, they gave us bubble wrap!!!!!! LOL

mqdefault.jpg

We won't have to worry about JT and those hard hits now.:p

I have seen this discuseed on several other boards but from what I hear its kinda like how Nike is with Oregon and Under Armour is with Maryland. I believe one of the top guys at Russel has ties to Tech and is a big donator supposedly. We aint getting rid of Russel anytime soon.
Russell isn't the problem here. Russell's products are the problem. If they would come up with some new and innovative things for our kids to wear, we'd all be fine with them.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the traditional uniforms too, but would like to see some alternate uniforms to be worn. This past year GT wore white jerseys for every game. I know the players would like to have a little more variety.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
Very true regarding UA, but IIRC GT was one of the first non-MD schools to be targeted by UA. Coulda got in on the ground floor so to speak.

GT was the first program, even before MD, to place an order with Under Armor.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Being from Forsyth, I have to ask...."huh?". Not that I'm doubting you, I'm just wondering what you are referring to here. If you are referring to where the dot is on their map, did you see where they put FAMU (which is supposed to be in Tallahasse).

Isn't that dot where they put GT just above Macon? Are you in the city of Forsyth or the county?

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I'm from the town of Forsyth, not the county, but now I live in Monroe, the town, but not the county because the county of Monroe is where the town of Forsyth is. Now my brain hurts. But back to Russell, maybe they could move to the town of Russellville, which is in Monroe County....oh, never mind.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Perfect uni right here!

View attachment 129

Those are great, but RA has never been able to match colors and it drives me bananas, because it should not be that difficult. I'm not saying match the shine or the matte, but just match the frickin color. I would love to see those unis again, but with matching colors, and better material. You know the new "wicking lightweight" stuff.

I emailed our old AD a few times and tried to explain that unis were important to players (I'm not a player but I am 22 and played a little in high school) and everyone wants cool gear. RA is embarrassing to be seen in. My high school had cooler unis. I don't buy anything but Nike stuff to lounge or run in and I like UA stuff for hunting. These high school kids want to see cool "swag" not RA crap. At Alabama and Georgia or Clemson those kids get all kinds of lounging clothes, workout clothes, shoes, and other gear to wear around, and they love that stuff, but our guys get RA crap. No one wants that, and I don't know why our AD/Boosters don't understand this simple concept. I guarantee at least 75% of recruits care about unis/gear to some extent and would prefer Nike/UA over Russell. That alone could get us 1-2 guys a year that we almost had. That could make the difference between a 7 win team and a 8-9 win team.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Man, look at the roster of schools RA has put together: http://team.russellathletic.com/collegiate-sponsorships.html

Who wouldn't wanna be on that team? :meh: Kinda like being a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a used Honda Civic.

All I've ever heard was that RA offered us more money, way back when, than Nike and an upstart UA. I'm no economist, but I'd venture to say we'd gain back whatever meager sum RA paid us over the Nike/UA deals in marketing alone.

Oh and yes uniforms matter.
Damn right unis matter.......not starting anything but we do not look like Tech and have not in six years........time to change.

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
The sad thing is that Russell used to be the breaking edge in athlethic gear back in the day. 70s, 80s, heck even part of the 90s. First company to produce the tear away jerseys before those were banned.

But as Nike, Under Armour, Addias, etc grew more popular and adapted. Russell got stuck in the past and they didnt evolve. Russell must get the bottom of the barrel fashion designers because the uniforms from 2008 on have been horrible. 2012 was a step forward but the underlying "bubble wrap"/"jacket's nest" (yellow jackets don't even have a honeycomb get our mascot right for crying out loud) was just unnecessary. 2013 unis were O.K. but why not just stick with one simple design and bust out a random "black watch" jersey for big time games.

I say again 2006 UVA throwbacks: Gold at Home, White Away and be done with it.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
UA supports Maryland because the man that started UA is a Maryland graduate. I am pretty sure that Russell would love to do new uniforms for GT but the powers that be, old athletic money, want the more traditional uniforms. 3 years ago GT had the flat black helmets for use but never broke them out of the box. If GT could be the "oregon" for Russell, it would make a difference!!
I must have missed something.......Russell after six years cant do a decent uni and the old guys want traditional uni ? If that is the case in my old head i have seen little tradition in tech unis last six years except for throwback nite...........Wish we had Oregon players but they can keep the unis.