Notre Dame to Under Armour

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Man, look at the roster of schools RA has put together: http://team.russellathletic.com/collegiate-sponsorships.html

Who wouldn't wanna be on that team? :meh: Kinda like being a Rolls Royce hood ornament on a used Honda Civic.

All I've ever heard was that RA offered us more money, way back when, than Nike and an upstart UA. I'm no economist, but I'd venture to say we'd gain back whatever meager sum RA paid us over the Nike/UA deals in marketing alone.

Oh and yes uniforms matter.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I have seen this discuseed on several other boards but from what I hear its kinda like how Nike is with Oregon and Under Armour is with Maryland. I believe one of the top guys at Russel has ties to Tech and is a big donator supposedly. We aint getting rid of Russel anytime soon.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have seen this discuseed on several other boards but from what I hear its kinda like how Nike is with Oregon and Under Armour is with Maryland. I believe one of the top guys at Russel has ties to Tech and is a big donator supposedly. We aint getting rid of Russel anytime soon.
This is spot on.

It is somewhat unfortunate because it does hurt us...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I hear what you're saying techman but the reality is there's a HUGE difference between what Ore and MD (now ND) have compared to what we get. Ore is almost synonymous with Nike and their facilities are the best in football (which is saying a LOT for a program that hasn't won a title). Not sure about MD's facilities but whenever UA introduces something, MD gets it. What has RA given us besides awful uniforms?

If RA at least featured us I wouldn't be that upset about it. Whoever that donor is needs to go throw his weight around. We should be prominent in anything they do especially when it comes to college football.

I know this is a deadhorse argument, by the way, but still ...

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I hear what you're saying techman but the reality is there's a HUGE difference between what Ore and MD (now ND) have compared to what we get. Ore is almost synonymous with Nike and their facilities are the best in football (which is saying a LOT for a program that hasn't won a title). Not sure about MD's facilities but whenever UA introduces something, MD gets it. What has RA given us besides awful uniforms?

If RA at least featured us I wouldn't be that upset about it. Whoever that donor is needs to go throw his weight around. We should be prominent in anything they do especially when it comes to college football.

I know this is a deadhorse argument, by the way, but still ...
Hey man, they gave us bubble wrap!!!!!! LOL

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
UA supports Maryland because the man that started UA is a Maryland graduate. I am pretty sure that Russell would love to do new uniforms for GT but the powers that be, old athletic money, want the more traditional uniforms. 3 years ago GT had the flat black helmets for use but never broke them out of the box. If GT could be the "oregon" for Russell, it would make a difference!!

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
UA supports Maryland because the man that started UA is a Maryland graduate. I am pretty sure that Russell would love to do new uniforms for GT but the powers that be, old athletic money, want the more traditional uniforms. 3 years ago GT had the flat black helmets for use but never broke them out of the box. If GT could be the "oregon" for Russell, it would make a difference!!
I remember the picture of those helmets. They looked really cool. Would loved to have seen us wear them.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Very true regarding UA, but IIRC GT was one of the first non-MD schools to be targeted by UA. Coulda got in on the ground floor so to speak.

My message to the old athletic money is that there's nothing traditional about our uniforms anymore. For the past 10 or so years we've worn 7-8 different variations each uglier than the last. I'd actually be quite happy with a traditional uniform from our past. Much better than these arena league models we've had recently.

Is this the first uniform thread of the offseason? Congrats on that ibee. (y)

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Very true regarding UA, but IIRC GT was one of the first non-MD schools to be targeted by UA. Coulda got in on the ground floor so to speak.

My message to the old athletic money is that there's nothing traditional about our uniforms anymore. For the past 10 or so years we've worn 7-8 different variations each uglier than the last. I'd actually be quite happy with a traditional uniform from our past. Much better than these arena league models we've had recently.

Is this the first uniform thread of the offseason? Congrats on that ibee. (y)
I really liked the ones we wore against VPI this past season. Those were good looking unis. Personally I dont have a problem with the bubble wrap or some of the other recent unis. Supposedly the players loved them and thats very important but with that I also like tradition. Wish we would go mostly traditional with a "modern" type (kinda like the nike pro combat stuff) maybe once or twice a season.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
The helmets were in boxes in the equipment room!!
I had heard some rumors that we were gonna were them for the Clemson game that season because it was halloween weekend (when we won 31-17 and ended their perfect season) and we were gonna do some kinda od "blackout" thing.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
:) If they can't get our uni's right I guess we can't expect them to get georgraphy correct. Note to anyone at Russell...GT is in ATL. Not Forsyth, Ga.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not the least bit swayed about the Russell/Nike controversy. I really don't care if they wear jeans while playing as long as they win. Who cares how a team looks if it is losing? This reminds me of several of my son's comments about his looks.

His lady friend told him he should exercise and slim down so he would look good. He replied, "Yes, when I die, I want everyone to look in my casket and say, "boy doesn't he look good"! Or his other remark about looking good! One of his friends told him to take up running to trim down. His reply, "If you ever see me running, shoot the guy behind me"!