Notre Dame Game Thread

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
3 Takeaways from Tech - ND

“I feel like we came out a little flat starting the second half,” Bolden said. “I think we need to hold each other more accountable. It’s not on anybody else but the players.”

“We’ve got some guys that are go-to guys, and it’s important that during those critical times, our go-to guys really respond,” Gregory said. “It’s not like they’re not trying. It’s not like they’re not competing. You can’t watch that game and then say that we didn’t compete at a high level. We’ve just got to finish some plays.”

“We can’t keep making the same mistakes,” Bolden said. “There’s different factors that go into our losses. Marcus gets in foul trouble the last two games the first half even though we’re up. That’s a blow. He comes back in the second half out of rhythm. We just keep moving on. It’s a long season. It’s not over right now.”

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
The Devil's in the Details

“You look at some of those things when it comes down to a one- or two-point game. It’s a play here, a play there,” said Gregory. “It’s not always the plays at the end of the game. The time we left Vasturia in the first half. He gave him a wide-open three. That was just a blown coverage,” said Gregory. “Although it’s the first half and it doesn’t make the news that that was a big play, at the end of the game, those plays cost you games. That’s where we’re at right now. We’re fighting for every single play.”

“At the end of the game that we [have to] execute our plays a little better than we’ve been executing,” said Cox. “When coach calls your name to make a play that you come through and make the play that needs to be made for us to keep playing.”

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Not being able to win ONE of those games is purely on the coach.
He either didn't recruit a guard to good enough to penetrate and make shot(or dish) or he didn't teach a alternative plan well enough.That Syracuse game was a total f-up for example.
In the FOURTH yr,there are few excuses for 0-4.Sorry.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The Devil's in the Details

“You look at some of those things when it comes down to a one- or two-point game. It’s a play here, a play there,” said Gregory. “It’s not always the plays at the end of the game. The time we left Vasturia in the first half. He gave him a wide-open three. That was just a blown coverage,” said Gregory. “Although it’s the first half and it doesn’t make the news that that was a big play, at the end of the game, those plays cost you games. That’s where we’re at right now. We’re fighting for every single play.”

“At the end of the game that we [have to] execute our plays a little better than we’ve been executing,” said Cox. “When coach calls your name to make a play that you come through and make the play that needs to be made for us to keep playing.”

I'm sorry, but this is the stuff that irks me. We shot somewhat over 50%, iirc, in the first half and finished the game shooting 41%, and he's talking about bad 3pt D on one play? News Flash, we're giving up over 40% from the 3pt line over the last 3 games. I just don't get it. This kind of comment seems completely ignorant of the fact that blown coverage at the 3pt line is almost the rule rather than an exception. Ack.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry, but this is the stuff that irks me. We shot somewhat over 50%, iirc, in the first half and finished the game shooting 41%, and he's talking about bad 3pt D on one play? News Flash, we're giving up over 40% from the 3pt line over the last 3 games. I just don't get it. This kind of comment seems completely ignorant of the fact that blown coverage at the 3pt line is almost the rule rather than an exception. Ack.

I think his point is that we're not at a level right now where we can take even one play off or it could cost us the game

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Sure ya can, perimeter defense is so poor that he has to help often leading to his foul trouble. A direct correlation to CBGs inability to recruit a defensive stopper ;)
So it's about the Jimmies and Joes ability to execute properly and their talent level. These are the two things that are killing us.
I can execute certain things on the court, but Kobe, Jarrett, Lebron are still going to stomp me silly due to the difference in talent (and age :) )

mistaben

Georgia Tech Fan
S'pose Cremins might tutor our point guards? Our defense is competitive. At times it's really good. But what's wrong with the offense?
there doesn't appear to be much movement under the basket. our tactic seems to be to pass to big man and let him back in through traffic. IF we hit some outside shots, we do better, but our outside shooting isn't that good. (Q and Sampson can get hot; seems like Bolden and MGH should be more effective, but they're generally well-guarded). The guards are beginning to drive the lane more, but most of the time it's jammed. so they can't dish effectively. If we could loosen things up on the drive, it would open all our options: to finish or dish inside; or shoot the long ball without the defender in our face.

How does one loosen things up? in cremins years, GT was known for point guard play (among other things): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Cremins
"Cremins had a host of players that went on to have successful National Basketball Association (NBA) careers. First there was Mark Price (the Cleveland Cavaliers) and John Salley (the Detroit Pistons) in the early 1980s, then Duane Ferrell, Tom Hammonds, Dennis Scott, Brian Oliver, Kenny Anderson, Jon Barry, Travis Best, Stephon Marbury, Jason Collier and Matt Harpring."
Those guys were good. and some of the guards extraordinary.

But what about Noodles? http://www.golobos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209076494: "Neal was a two-year starter at Georgia Tech in the mid-1980s. He earned all-Atlantic Coast Conference honors as a senior in 1988 when he set the ACC single-season record with 303 assists. Neal's playing career at Tech spanned five seasons, as he was limited to just four games in 1984-85 due to injury. He averaged 7.7 points as a senior. Neal averaged a league-best 9.5 assists per game (11.6 in conference games) that season, which still stands as a single-season record at Georgia Tech. His 659 career assists was a school record at the time and now ranks third best at Tech. Neal's 5.2 career assist average is fourth best at Tech and his 127 career steals is the 11th best total at the school."

"Neal was a member of five Yellow Jacket teams that advanced to postseason play, including an NIT appearance in 1984 and NCAA Tournament berths the following four years. Tech advanced to the regional final in 1985 before losing to top-seed Georgetown, and the Sweet Sixteen in 1986. After a first round loss in 1987, Georgia Tech defeated Iowa State in 1988 before falling to Richmond in the second round. Neal earned his bachelor's degree in management from Georgia Tech in 1988."

The reason we bring Neal up is that he was an ordinary (read: "mediocre") point guard when he began playing. Cremins taught him to see passing lanes - and the world changed. From his first to second season as a starter, he progressed from making aggressive, but ill-advised, wild and ineffective passes (that'd be turnovers) to spotting the open man and threading the needle - and setting a GT record for assists.

BC seems to be a good guy, recruiter and defensive coach. Don't know if he has the Magic for offense. Cremins did. Wonder if he might tutor our point guards?