Notre Dame at GT

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That has not been the case over these past two games. Javon has been all over the court giving us some rim protection, his block Allen-Leben at the 1:00 mark was huge for us!

And even bigger was the no-call on the goaltend since the ball was in the cylinder. Haha. Suck it, NotreD. Their coaches were beside themselves.

All I could think about was how many times we've been ref-hosed. My advice for ND ...

Warning Over It GIF by CW Kung Fu

Agree the team does continue to play hard, which is a good sign.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
And even bigger was the no-call on the goaltend since the ball was in the cylinder. Haha. Suck it, NotreD. Their coaches were beside themselves.

All I could think about was how many times we've been ref-hosed. My advice for ND ...

Warning Over It GIF by CW Kung Fu

Agree the team does continue to play hard, which is a good sign.
Wasn't even close.... :cool:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I liked what he drew up here. Have sturdy drive. Then had two dudes in position (Lance and JF ready to put it back).

Thank good goodness for a break going OUR way. Let’s win out the season!
Good coaching move when you think about it. ND probably figured it would go to Smith to create but Sturd is a better jump shooter and might be better at FT's ((w/o looking it up). Smith and Franklin for rebounding and shot had some time on the clock. Well executed. Wow can that Smith kid jump.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Posted this elsewhere:

Deivon Smith is playing at a high level. If he had ANY kind of jumper, he’d be a sure-fire NBA guy!

From Kelly Quinlan’s report, “Deivon Smith fell just short of a triple-double with eight points, nine rebounds and seven assists off the bench. He added two steals as well as he frustrated Nate Laszewski on the defensive”

7 assists against 0 turnovers!
Smith is really fun to watch. Truth on how good he could be if he could shoot at all. His rebounding for a guy his size is astounding. Hard not to pull for him.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Glad he is with GT but I can imagine Smith would have been a monster in the old school Dean/Roy fast break UNC teams.

I wish we did more to put him in space and even dare I say it engineer a switch so he gets to go against a big.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Deivon is good but his legs move faster than his brain. He currently doesn’t have the court vision or instincts to find the right guy on fast breaks. He gets deflated more than I’d care to see for a court general too. But he’s grown leaps since last season so I’m confident he will make another jump this offseason. He’s so fast that he can afford to let the fast breaks come to him a little bit.

Visualize where the defenders and shooters will end up. He doesn’t need to set an Olympic world record time from free-throw-line-to-free-throw-line.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Deivon is good but his legs move faster than his brain. He currently doesn’t have the court vision or instincts to find the right guy on fast breaks. He gets deflated more than I’d care to see for a court general too. But he’s grown leaps since last season so I’m confident he will make another jump this offseason. He’s so fast that he can afford to let the fast breaks come to him a little bit.

Visualize where the defenders and shooters will end up. He doesn’t need to set an Olympic world record time from free-throw-line-to-free-throw-line.
Eh I think Roy was more into land speed records. At least that was what he focused on in recruiting PGs. Beat you down court and put as much pressure on you as I can. And then have guys in predictable spots. ;)

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
I've seen a lot of talk about how he lost the locker room and how we should expect whole transfers. I don't buy into that too much. I expect some attrition but not a mass exodus.

You could tell from their excitement level during and after the game that they are still playing hard for each other. Aside from poor shooting, I've thought our effort level lacked in some big games on defense.

That has not been the case over these past two games. Javon has been all over the court giving us some rim protection, his block Allen-Leben at the 1:00 mark was huge for us!
A win is a win. Glad for the team.

Four of the eight guys who played are seniors and won't be back. The non seniors scored 23 of the 70 points. Even without attrition, next year is quite dependent on transfers to keep from regressing further.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
This year, any win is good. That said, Notre Dame is awful this year. Having Terry & Deivon in the lineup was huge last night. If we had them against Louisville, I don't think we lose. If we don't have them last night, ND wins easily.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Good coaching move when you think about it. ND probably figured it would go to Smith to create but Sturd is a better jump shooter and might be better at FT's ((w/o looking it up). Smith and Franklin for rebounding and shot had some time on the clock. Well executed. Wow can that Smith kid jump.
I’m sure that’s what Laszewski was saying to his teammates in the ND locker room after the games—albeit with a few curse words thrown in. There he is under the basket matched up with a guy 10 inches shorter, thinking, “Ha! I got this!” and he ends up getting shots blocked and being out-rebounded.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A win is a win. Glad for the team.

Four of the eight guys who played are seniors and won't be back. The non seniors scored 23 of the 70 points. Even without attrition, next year is quite dependent on transfers to keep from regressing further.
The only person that definitely will not be back is Javon Franklin. Everyone else is eligible to return to due to the COVID year.

No matter how you slice it, no matter who the coach is a year from now, transfers will factor heavily into the equation.