Notre Dame - 1/13

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Huge swing game against the Fighting Irish tomorrow night. If we can pull out the road win, we will return home with a chance to get above .500 on Saturday.

Not many thought this game would have as much significance a week ago.

Both teams currently sitting at 1-2 in the conference:
ND: Win: @Boston College, Losses: @Virginia, at home vs. PITT
GT: Win: H-Virginia, @PITT, @UNC

TEAM STATS:

upload_2016-1-12_10-12-13.png
upload_2016-1-12_10-16-42.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-12_10-16-27.png
    upload_2016-1-12_10-16-27.png
    42.7 KB · Views: 12

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
They have worse FT shooting than us???? I like our chances!

I think like in most games Adam Smith is the x-factor as we'll need to hang with their shooting. If he torches the nets we have a really good chance. If he waits around and looks for the perfect shot, we have less of a chance. I'm factoring in also when he's shooting well MGH, Q, and even Tadric can have their way with the defense.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm gonna say bad guys by 1.

What's the spread? 4.5?

GT is just good enough to break your heart. That statement seems to be sport independent.

Spread here is 7 points. And we have a 27% chance to win......
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/matchup/yellow-jackets-fighting-irish-2016-01-13

Here's a side by side comparison, we should out rebound them and commit more fouls .....:
Offensive Stat Comparison
Stat GTEC NDAM
Points/Game 77.5 78.6
Avg Score Margin +6.8 +10.0
Assists/Game 14.8 15.3
Total Rebounds/Gm 40.8 35.9
Effective FG % 51.3% 58.0%
Off Rebound % 37.0% 31.9%
FTA/FGA 0.320 0.299
Turnover % 12.4% 12.7%
Defensive Stat Comparison
Stat GTEC NDAM
Opp Points/Game 70.8 68.6
Opp Effective FG % 48.7% 49.9%
Off Rebounds/Gm 12.1 9.3
Def Rebounds/Gm 26.1 23.7
Blocks/Game 4.4 4.4
Steals/Game 4.9 5.9
Personal Fouls/Gm 18.2 14.9

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Updated the thread title.

Spread is down to 6 to 6.5 in Vegas.

Thanks Cuse! Got a little excited I guess and didn't look at the calendar.

I'm expecting us to play well. A Win tomorrow night would say an awful lot about this squad.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am so used to this program disappointing in the last decade or so, that I simply don;t expect us to win two in a row anymore. Ever.

I would so love to be proven wrong.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we have a good shot to win this game if we can come out with energy and not be flat. But it is the norm of a BG coached team to have a good game or win then look like crap the next game. Hoepfully we keep playing well in conference because all 3 of our ACC games we have played pretty well for the most part.

I do have one request though:

I just wish BG would stick with a rotation, whatever he thinks is the best, of 6-7 guys for most of the game and let the team grow some chemistry. I just don't get his substitution methods most of the time. Someone will get hot and make 4 or 5 shots in a row then he will automatically sub them out for someone cold off the bench and that person will miss 3 shots in a row. Foul trouble, not their day, etc, I get the substitution, but most of the time the player is just getting into the groove of the game and he subs them. Make no sense to me. I understand he obvioulsy thinks all of his teams are super deep and has enough players to keep everyone fresh, but we just don't have 10 ACC caliber guys on the team to constantly sub in and out.

To me the 7 rotation should be - MGH, Smith, Q, Mitchell, Lammers [Starters] Tadric, Jacobs/Smith [Come off the bench]

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
To be fair - no one was totally vying for more PT for Q before the Virginia game. A lot of people had kind of written him off, but he has one good game and people are saying he should without a doubt be in the starting lineup. I'm not against him getting more minutes, but Virginia could be an aberration just like the Georgia game last year - his minutes to me are more on a wait and see basis.

And you're saying that James White deserves little to no playing time? I highly disagree with that, as he was really what got us rolling in the 2nd half with his 2 offensive put backs. He should be on the floor if for no other reason than his pure athleticism - which is comparable to Brice Johnson (not his basketball skill, just his athleticism).

Agree with the PG situation - I could do without Josh or Travis - let Marcus and Adam run the point. Problem there is if you go with that model you limit the number of minutes they get on the floor together (unless they both play 35+ min).

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
To be fair - no one was totally vying for more PT for Q before the Virginia game. A lot of people had kind of written him off, but he has one good game and people are saying he should without a doubt be in the starting lineup. I'm not against him getting more minutes, but Virginia could be an aberration just like the Georgia game last year - his minutes to me are more on a wait and see basis.

And you're saying that James White deserves little to no playing time? I highly disagree with that, as he was really what got us rolling in the 2nd half with his 2 offensive put backs. He should be on the floor if for no other reason than his pure athleticism - which is comparable to Brice Johnson (not his basketball skill, just his athleticism).

Agree with the PG situation - I could do without Josh or Travis - let Marcus and Adam run the point. Problem there is if you go with that model you limit the number of minutes they get on the floor together (unless they both play 35+ min).
I agree with this. I also assumed the previous poster meant to include White since Smith is on the list twice.

Either way, I like a shorter rotation of 8 guys, potentially 7 depending on who is playing well. Need to get away from playing guys for the sake of playing guys... BG has done better this year than last, imo, but still some room for improvement.