Notes from Wednesday

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I want what is best for Georgia Tech. Vad didn't recruit PJ to coach his style of offense. He accepted the challenge to prove himself here. Same with Justin, who I believe ran a read option from the gun in HS. Let the best man win the job.

I'm excited about Smelter getting more touches too. He's a football player.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Imo... we didn't look crisp running our base flexbone against even Duke or Elon. Again jmo.

The only formation"we"have looked smooth in, not just Vad, has been the Diamond.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I want what is best for Georgia Tech. Vad didn't recruit PJ to coach his style of offense. He accepted the challenge to prove himself here. Same with Justin, who I believe ran a read option from the gun in HS.

Yes they agreed to come play here knowing they would play in the flexbone. But they were also "sold" on the idea that CPJ was adding in pistol/gun. (I.E. - Travis Custis)

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Yes they agreed to come play here knowing they would play in the flexbone. But they were also "sold" on the idea that CPJ was adding in pistol/gun. (I.E. - Travis Custis)
True. And he has, right? I'm not saying we abandon that. Just put the best QB on the field that gives us the best chance to win.

It's all opinion around here IJ7. I respect yours. I'm not a coach and I'm not a sports psychologist either. Just a die hard GT fan. I love all the guys that choose to come here.

Last edited:

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
True. And he has, right? I'm not saying we abandon that. Just put the best QB on the field that gives us the best chance to win.

I respect your opinion as well.

Has he done that? That is a very good question.

I don't think we are putting the best QB on the field.

We are putting the person on the field that is going to run CPJ's flexbone the best.

That is what scares me.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
I respect your opinion as well.

Has he done that? That is a very good question.

I don't think we are putting the best QB on the field.

We are putting the person on the field that is going to run CPJ's flexbone the best.

That is what scares me.

Think for a second. You really think PJ got this far in his career by being stubborn about his system? Competitors want to win and they'll do anything to win. If he were not that way, he wouldn't have gotten this far.

Also, everybody thinks that switching to a QB that can do X is plug and play. But is it really? There are 10 other players on the field and 50 others in the locker room that are capable of doing Y. But because the QB can do X, they should all do X. Does that really make any sense at all? You can't switch your entire system for one player. Ever.

Having said that, Vad is doing perfectly fine. Look at longestdays option play slo-mo video and tell me why you think he is a bad option QB. He is getting blamed for piss poor blocking and concentration by the entire team in the VT game.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
To be clear I'm not saying bench Vad in favor of Justin at all. I trust PJ to do what gives us the best chance at success. If that means giving Justin a series or two (because he earned that in practice) then I look forward to seeing that.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow

It's all opinion around here IJ7. I respect yours. I'm not a coach and I'm not a sports psychologist either. Just a die hard GT fan. I love all the guys that choose to come here.

Yeah he ran the pistol/gun against Elon, UNC and Duke but became the same stubborn, inflexible coach against VT. CPJ lost that game on pure stubbornness. And that's fine. As the head coach, he is entitled to call the game and plays how he sees fit (even if it doesn't suit your starting QB's skill set perfecty). Now his stubbornness may not only hurt us this year. It could make sure that we never get another QB of Vad's caliber at GT again because he sold Vad on signing with GT with the promise of opening up the offense. Now all future elite QB recruits will have memories of CPJ hinting at Vad as the reason the game was lost, not his p*ss-poor play-calling.

Kcsunshine

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah he ran the pistol/gun against Elon, UNC and Duke but became the same stubborn, inflexible coach against VT. CPJ lost that game on pure stubbornness. And that's fine. As the head coach, he is entitled to call the game and plays how he sees fit (even if it doesn't suit your starting QB's skill set perfecty). Now his stubbornness may not only hurt us this year. It could make sure that we never get another QB of Vad's caliber at GT again because he sold Vad on signing with GT with the promise of opening up the offense. Now all future elite QB recruits will have memories of CPJ hinting at Vad as the reason the game was lost, not his p*ss-poor play-calling.
I think all we can do is speculate. I think pj would have run the diamond or pistol against the hokies if he thought it would have worked. Let's be patient and see how the season plays out.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer

JacketTrain, You are really getting yourself worked up into a tizzy this week.

CPJ never blamed Vad, you only call it a "hint" so clearly you are exaggerating there.

Tech lost a game against a team with a great defense that we repeatedly underperform against (we were clearly the better team in 2011) because the offensive players made a crapload of mistakes, penalties, dropped the ball, etc. You don't see some sort of "magical" formations that supposedly would have unleashed Vad's inner-Kaepernick and since you keep telling yourself CPJ is "stubborn" (as he says when we say things enough we are bound to believe them) now we will never have a QB as talented as Vad ever again?

Except as far as talent goes we already have Thomas and then Jordan committed. I think you are reacting to the time between games as if it is a whole offseason and taking speculations off to the nth degree.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I know I shouldn't be telling fans to take it slow and calm down and whatnot, so oh well.

I actually would like to read thoughts on how CPJ called the game and where mistakes were made. From the stands I really only griped over the 4th down play call, and that's because I thought it was the same play we had just tried and failed on with the same players.

I still don't see the actual reasoning why different formations would have changed the game into a win? On which drive or series was there something there that would have made it a better call to go with the diamond, pistol, or shotgun?

I don't feel the need to carry any coach's water for them. Their record will ultimately determine their fate. But I also don't want to get paranoid about the future over one game. I guess I prefer more specific analysis and critique.

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
I am still believe in CPJ remember Vad is young. This offense takes a lot of reps before you can run it the way it needs to be. I think in the next couple of years we will be hard to beat. It looks like we finally have a defense that is getting better not worse and both quarterbacks are young.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I know I shouldn't be telling fans to take it slow and calm down and whatnot, so oh well.

I actually would like to read thoughts on how CPJ called the game and where mistakes were made. From the stands I really only griped over the 4th down play call, and that's because I thought it was the same play we had just tried and failed on with the same players.

I still don't see the actual reasoning why different formations would have changed the game into a win? On which drive or series was there something there that would have made it a better call to go with the diamond, pistol, or shotgun?

I don't feel the need to carry any coach's water for them. Their record will ultimately determine their fate. But I also don't want to get paranoid about the future over one game. I guess I prefer more specific analysis and critique.

This post makes a lot of sense to me. Watching from a Chicago bar, I had the same reaction to the 4th down call. I didn't mind going for it, but I couldn't believe running the same play that we couldn't block just a moment before. Afterward, CPJ said he had a play that he thought would work.

This leads me into my wag on CPJ's coaching style: (1) he decides what his players can and cannot do during practice; (2) he creates a mental rolodex of play-calls for the game based on what he expects from the D; (3) he then calls plays based on what the D is actually doing.

If this wag is correct, CPJ calls plays with the expectation that his team will always live up to practice potential, regardless of what level they're actually playing at. (does that even make sense?)

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
So when the offensive line isn't blocking the defensive line or lBs, what plays should he have been calling.

Just a reminder to all. I am one of the few people to pick tech to beat Miami tomorrow.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck

that same play was the main play call that bothered me. Everything else was poor execution and penalties

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I think JT's skill set which is a very quick football player will simply lead to consistently bigger plays that Vad if they are both under center. I have no clue if JT can make the reads, but if I were the coach, I would put Vad in more situations where we run diamond or pistol. It appears to "fit" him better.
Isn't this what people were saying about Vad last year when Tevin was playing?

1) That is his system from Hillside, you can go watch a bunch of film on him from High school and its predominately from the gun. He is more familiar with this
So did Justin though: