Northwestern South ??

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Since you need a history lesson, I will explain.

The University of Georgia earned the right to play against Notre Dame for the National Championship in 1981. Yet, eight of the SA's were deemed academically ineligible to play. A professor in charge was ordered to change the grades and allow them to play. She refused. They played and UGA won. She was demoted and fired.

The professor sued UGA and was awarded > 1 million bucks.

Now, if that's what you condone ... changing grades to allow SA's to compete ... let's just say your moral compass is not as accurate as mine.
I dont think anyone is suggesting that , or would certainly condone it. But there is a mountain of middle ground between where we currently are , and the stupidity of what the DAWGS do

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Jesus christ who cares about the academic. I mean it matters but it will never be ivy league nor should they want to be. Just be a strong school that's difficult academically for those who want the course load. If not, give them the option to have a different degree and work load. Those who put in the work will reap the rewards as people will know tech to have strong degrees in certain fields. Not every field needs to be top of the charts, it hurts too many other aspects of the school and prevents them from being well rounded.
Agree with the post wholeheartedly , but leave our Savior out of the discussion, please. Please ?

jmahone

Georgia Tech Fan
The Calculus argument is thin.
1) There are great HS student-athletes who are more than capable of passing calculus.
2) Not all majors at Tech require calculus.

• Analytical abilities are a fundamental strength of all Georgia Tech students. To help them develop those skills, Tech students are required to take differential calculus, integral calculus, and linear algebra. However, most liberal arts students have an alternative math option more closely aligned with their majors. With the help of their advisors, Ivan Allen students select one of these sequences. About half of IAC undergraduates take each path.
The solution here isn't to just add majors that don't have calculus. That's like saying, hey, let's just print money to solve the lack of money issues. As noted, it cannot be easily done. The added programs need to be vetted and approved and this takes years. We have to demonstrate a need for this sort of degree program, and the answer can't be, "We need a major, distinct from the current offerings, that we can park GT football SAs in so that we can compete on the field." That's not why a great school would add a major. Adding a major with this as your main motivation would disqualify you from being a great school. Someone posted that we should quit trying to be an Ivy League school. I hope that was in jest. Offering calculus in a majority of our degree programs as a requirement is not our attempt to be an Ivy League school. It's part of Tech's attempt to ensure that Tech graduates are technically equipped to design, engineer, build, and lead.

The GTPres must be a GT alum to be favorable to GT Football argument is even more thin.
1) We have only had one GT alum as GT President. He was a great president of the Institute. We have had other great presidents, of course. The football team has been great at various times over the years, regardless.
2) It is true that a school president unfriendly to the AD and athletic programs can be a huge issue, but I don't know of any proof that this is the case currently.

We are doing things that need to be done: facilities, increased coaching money, high level of student athlete academic help, etc.

Tech is a place where we need a certain amount (more than programs that are fully stocked) of luck/good fortune in games and in avoiding injuries in order for us to be in front of a good opportunity to upset better teams, play competitively with similar level teams, and not stumble in front of lesser teams. This is because we don't have a 100 stars on the sidelines at home games like Bama, Clemson, etc. do. It doesn't mean we can't also be great consistently. It means we have to be more efficient in recruiting the right SAs, keep them healthy, and not lose them to academics.

In my opinion, the biggest issues around getting the right Tech men/women here as student athletes is related to competing on recruiting. One of the biggest stumbling blocks is the unethical recruiting approaches of many top 25 football programs. Greyshirting, and for that matter, straight up lying to recruits is a giant issue, both of which affect other schools attempting to recruit the same players. Also an issue is outreach to the individuals most likely to want to play for Tech and earn a Tech degree; it isn't CPJ's sole responsibility. It's having a recruiting budget that allows us to really reach for these diamonds in the rough. Georgia Tech should be able to analytically find and appeal to these SAs.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
The previous poster asked how it hurt a university to lower its standards. This is how.

We can lower standards without cheating though. Make them before a season starts.

I believe tech would generate more money by creating and having a variety of degrees available. Of course the engineering and tech departments would be outstanding, but why limit ourselves and not let people who want to be a part of tech come to tech, but dont want an engineering or tech degree. They just enjoy the school, location, and environment.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We can lower standards without cheating though. Make them before a season starts.

I believe tech would generate more money by creating and having a variety of degrees available. Of course the engineering and tech departments would be outstanding, but why limit ourselves and not let people who want to be a part of tech come to tech, but dont want an engineering or tech degree. They just enjoy the school, location, and environment.

First, because that's what UGA is for. An easy fix to this is simply establish the University System of Georgia as the degree granting institution and it leads to the University of Georgia - Athens, UGA - Atlanta, UGA - Columbus, etc. Just like UT did. All sites offer the same degrees and you can transfer easily within if you like.

Second, most schools make zero on bachelor programs. They are lucky to break even.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The Calculus argument is thin.
1) There are great HS student-athletes who are more than capable of passing calculus.
2) Not all majors at Tech require calculus.

• Analytical abilities are a fundamental strength of all Georgia Tech students. To help them develop those skills, Tech students are required to take differential calculus, integral calculus, and linear algebra. However, most liberal arts students have an alternative math option more closely aligned with their majors. With the help of their advisors, Ivan Allen students select one of these sequences. About half of IAC undergraduates take each path.
The solution here isn't to just add majors that don't have calculus. That's like saying, hey, let's just print money to solve the lack of money issues. As noted, it cannot be easily done. The added programs need to be vetted and approved and this takes years. We have to demonstrate a need for this sort of degree program, and the answer can't be, "We need a major, distinct from the current offerings, that we can park GT football SAs in so that we can compete on the field." That's not why a great school would add a major. Adding a major with this as your main motivation would disqualify you from being a great school. Someone posted that we should quit trying to be an Ivy League school. I hope that was in jest. Offering calculus in a majority of our degree programs as a requirement is not our attempt to be an Ivy League school. It's part of Tech's attempt to ensure that Tech graduates are technically equipped to design, engineer, build, and lead.

The GTPres must be a GT alum to be favorable to GT Football argument is even more thin.
1) We have only had one GT alum as GT President. He was a great president of the Institute. We have had other great presidents, of course. The football team has been great at various times over the years, regardless.
2) It is true that a school president unfriendly to the AD and athletic programs can be a huge issue, but I don't know of any proof that this is the case currently.

We are doing things that need to be done: facilities, increased coaching money, high level of student athlete academic help, etc.

Tech is a place where we need a certain amount (more than programs that are fully stocked) of luck/good fortune in games and in avoiding injuries in order for us to be in front of a good opportunity to upset better teams, play competitively with similar level teams, and not stumble in front of lesser teams. This is because we don't have a 100 stars on the sidelines at home games like Bama, Clemson, etc. do. It doesn't mean we can't also be great consistently. It means we have to be more efficient in recruiting the right SAs, keep them healthy, and not lose them to academics.

In my opinion, the biggest issues around getting the right Tech men/women here as student athletes is related to competing on recruiting. One of the biggest stumbling blocks is the unethical recruiting approaches of many top 25 football programs. Greyshirting, and for that matter, straight up lying to recruits is a giant issue, both of which affect other schools attempting to recruit the same players. Also an issue is outreach to the individuals most likely to want to play for Tech and earn a Tech degree; it isn't CPJ's sole responsibility. It's having a recruiting budget that allows us to really reach for these diamonds in the rough. Georgia Tech should be able to analytically find and appeal to these SAs.

Well, you’ve made a total of one post in your GT Swarm career and it was a great one. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Jesus christ who cares about the academic. I mean it matters but it will never be ivy league nor should they want to be. Just be a strong school that's difficult academically for those who want the course load. If not, give them the option to have a different degree and work load. Those who put in the work will reap the rewards as people will know tech to have strong degrees in certain fields. Not every field needs to be top of the charts, it hurts too many other aspects of the school and prevents them from being well rounded.

Man, I could not agree more.

As a sidewalk fan, sometimes I have to roll my eyes when I hear Tech grads make condescending comments toward other schools in this state. I have so much respect for Tech; my wife went there, had a pretty good experience, and benefited immensely from the academic rigor. But the more we live our life the more she realizes the intangibles of the liberal arts education that I received. We balance each other well and I have to believe that Georgia Tech as a whole could benefit from more kids with a different perspective on the world. It would certainly hurt Tech’s rankings initially, but long term, with the future growth of Atlanta, Tech would have plenty of opportunities to make up for any drop off.

Whether people want to admit it or not, UGA is getting some great kids with test scores higher than Tech’s average, who are choosing UGA without considering Tech. Not saying Tech should ever be UGA, but I think the school is missing out on some really good kids who could benefit the entire school not just the football program. Which is the argument that I would present to the BOR.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
First, because that's what UGA is for. An easy fix to this is simply establish the University System of Georgia as the degree granting institution and it leads to the University of Georgia - Athens, UGA - Atlanta, UGA - Columbus, etc. Just like UT did. All sites offer the same degrees and you can transfer easily within if you like.

Second, most schools make zero on bachelor programs. They are lucky to break even.

It's more than just having bachelor degrees its having a student body to put towards the school. Increasing the size of the student body, bigger brand. More alumni the possi6for more donations. If you can grow, why not? Why stay small to just be small and not be well rounded.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
But the more we live our life the more she realizes the intangibles of the liberal arts education that I received.

Not sure I agree with this. I have an ME degree. But, I studied German, Linguistics, Political Science, History, Economics ... all as part of my degree. The core curriculum is technical, but I don't feel slighted in the least. I think Tech provides a very well-rounded education.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's more than just having bachelor degrees its having a student body to put towards the school. Increasing the size of the student body, bigger brand. More alumni the possi6for more donations. If you can grow, why not? Why stay small to just be small and not be well rounded.

Tech makes oodles of money from .... RESEARCH. Development (donations) have improved, but those usually go towards tuition grants.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I agree with this. I have an ME degree. But, I studied German, Linguistics, Political Science, History, Economics ... all as part of my degree. The core curriculum is technical, but I don't feel slighted in the least. I think Tech provides a very well-rounded education.

How do we compare to VT?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
My question is this. What are the major differences between us and Virginia Tech? Do they offer more variety of degrees than we do???
I don't think anyone responded to you. I went to high school in Virginia and considered UVA and VT before choosing GT.

VT has generally lower caliber student than UVA, but they have a solid engineering department. However, VT has a very large degree offering: https://vt.edu/academics/majors.html
With majors like "Liberal Arts (undecided)", "Communication Studies, ", and "University Studies (undecided)"; I think it is safe to say they have a much wider offering than GT.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The one thing I continue to not understand about our fanbase is its need to compare itself against private schools. Duke, Stanford, and Northwestern are all private schools with complete control over the course, degree, and admissions. GT operates in a whole different universe needing to not only convince "The Hill" but also the Georgia Board of Regents. The closest school I can even think to compare us to would be Purdue, and even they have college of liberal arts with acting, creative writing, etc. majors.

A lot of the changes users seems to be requesting are really only going to happen if GT chooses to become private. I personally have no idea what the benefit/cost would be of that, so I can't speak to it.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
All this makes some sense, but I imagine that the chances of the Board of Regents adding courses or changing the curriculum for the sake of the football program are somewhere around zero. If changes come to the curriculum, they will come with complete disregard of the football program.

Why not instead concentrate on doing something now to recruit good players nationwide who want to matriculate from a top notch school offering what we have to offer RIGHT NOW?
Yes. I thought that Board of Regents with a heavy dose of UGA grads would not allow us to add any BA type of majors one of the times we had a President that went after that??