Northeastern game thread.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
My biggest issue with this team is rebounding. How do you let a SINGLE PLAYER get 20 rebounds on you?!?! I know Franklin is a little undersized, but we have GOT to start rebounding at a somewhat respectable rate to start winning games. Rebounding simply requires heart and hustle. Sure, being tall and having position helps, but the guy who wants it more generally ends up with the ball.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
My biggest issue with this team is rebounding. How do you let a SINGLE PLAYER get 20 rebounds on you?!?! I know Franklin is a little undersized, but we have GOT to start rebounding at a somewhat respectable rate to start winning games. Rebounding simply requires heart and hustle. Sure, being tall and having position helps, but the guy who wants it more generally ends up with the ball.
Playing man-to-man defense would go a long way towards addressing the rebounding problem. If you are not assigned to guard anyone, it is difficult to locate and box out an opponent. I hate zone defenses.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

It's not just that Franklin is a bit undersized. Moses Wright was a bit undersized at 6-9. Franklin is like having Usher play the 5 and that worked out horribly in the NCAAT. That is compounded by the fact that we aren't usually running two PFs often so it's not like we have a second post player to go alongside a small center. We usually are running line ups with 2 guards 2 wings and a 6-7 PF, or one guard, 3 wings, and a 6-7 PF.

The bold is a nice saying to try and get people to work a little harder, but it really isn't all that accurate. Rebounding is a skill like anything else. Reading how the ball is going to bounce off the rim, knowing how to time a jump, knowing how to tip it to yourself or a team mate, know how to get good rebounding position, etc etc. By playing one interior player we're often in line ups where only one guy has probably had much pressure to rebound before to develop those skills, and he's often at a further disadvantage because of his height.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Playing man-to-man defense would go a long way towards addressing the rebounding problem. If you are not assigned to guard anyone, it is difficult to locate and box out an opponent. I hate zone defenses.
Iowa would have shot 75% from the field if we had gone man that entire game. There are no fixes for this without major jumps in personnel talent.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Playing zone defense was not the reason we rebounded poorly in the Iowa game. Our guys were there at the rim a lot, sometimes with superior numbers. They just got out hustled, out worked, and beat at the fundamentals of positioning and boxing out.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
WE could see this coming since last yr. With Rodney disappearing, we are a small team that usually runs a zone which makes it worse at times.Making the other team shoot badly doesn't mean much if they get the OFF reb.(Oddly opponents are shooting worse than us from 3 ptland to show rebing importance.).
Looks like we will fight Lville for cellar.

Last edited:

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Yeah weird complaints about Rodney tonight. He looked a little rusty but I was overall happy with his confidence and the rebounding was so much stronger with him in, granted it was a large talent gap with our opponent. How badly I wanted him to hit that shot from the elbow. The PnR is DOA unless he/Javon can figure that out.

Any night in McCamish is a good night as long as you don’t lose to the Dawgs. Good crowd tonight also, at least from the bench side looking out. The 7th and 8th look like Reading Days for students (oh how I wish we had these when I was at Tech) so hopefully we have a great student turnout and good home court advantage on Tuesday.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah weird complaints about Rodney tonight. He looked a little rusty but I was overall happy with his confidence and the rebounding was so much stronger with him in, granted it was a large talent gap with our opponent. How badly I wanted him to hit that shot from the elbow. The PnR is DOA unless he/Javon can figure that out.

Any night in McCamish is a good night as long as you don’t lose to the Dawgs. Good crowd tonight also, at least from the bench side looking out. The 7th and 8th look like Reading Days for students (oh how I wish we had these when I was at Tech) so hopefully we have a great student turnout and good home court advantage on Tuesday.
He played a nice game tonight. I just feel like he and Sturdy have clearly lost their starting spots and playing minutes at this point to Smith and Franklin. We need Howard’s size. It would have helped in rebounding against Iowa. He’s only averaging around 4 points and 4 boards on the year and like 13 minutes a game. I only say all of that because I know bigger things were expected of him going into the year.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
It's always nice to win, and for all those who complain, let's give the team credit when they take care of business. 4-0 at home, and 5-3 overall. Our three losses were all away/neutral site losses to good teams. I'm not saying we are winning the ACC this year, but for those who have already given up...don't go! Let's give this team a chance.

Here is what I liked:
-Really good defense and a clear focus on better rebounding. I saw some guards turn and block out. It also helps to have Howard's size back in there too, especially against smaller teams like this one.
-Aggressive moves to the basket. I would prefer better passing to better driving, but I like what I saw from Kelly, Moore, Terry, and Smith. They are all quick enough to get to the hoop.
-Free throws! 10/10 from Moore and 20/26 from the team.
-Miles Kelly behind the arc. Keep shooting, bro.
-Howard used his time well, and was active on the boards. Again, we need him to play well.

Here is what I didn't like:
-I still want to see more of Martynov.
-I still want to see more aggressiveness from Deebo.

Big game coming up against U(sic)Ga. Go Jackets!

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
It's always nice to win, and for all those who complain, let's give the team credit when they take care of business. 4-0 at home, and 5-3 overall. Our three losses were all away/neutral site losses to good teams. I'm not saying we are winning the ACC this year, but for those who have already given up...don't go! Let's give this team a chance.

Here is what I liked:
-Really good defense and a clear focus on better rebounding. I saw some guards turn and block out. It also helps to have Howard's size back in there too, especially against smaller teams like this one.
-Aggressive moves to the basket. I would prefer better passing to better driving, but I like what I saw from Kelly, Moore, Terry, and Smith. They are all quick enough to get to the hoop.
-Free throws! 10/10 from Moore and 20/26 from the team.
-Miles Kelly behind the arc. Keep shooting, bro.
-Howard used his time well, and was active on the boards. Again, we need him to play well.

Here is what I didn't like:
-I still want to see more of Martynov.
-I still want to see more aggressiveness from Deebo.

Big game coming up against U(sic)Ga. Go Jackets!
I agree with Deebo. Would love to see him more aggressive. On the other hand, Jalon Moore has been much more aggressive these past couple games. He has really grown in the past year.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Sturdivant and Howard have really taken a step back this year. The sophomores have really stepped up. I really like the progress Moore has made.
I think those two are the "high-floor, low-ceiling" kind of players that are solid, but it looks like Pastner has seen that we need to go with the higher-ceiling guys, especially on offense, even if it means more risk. If they were getting 30 minutes a game, their numbers would look much better, but I like taking the plunge with the high-upside young guys and letting the solid veterans come off the bench.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Ok we beat a really weak team with some good stats -Moore 10/10 FTs and Kelly 3s and Rodney showing up--but still 31% from 3 overall.
This Tues we need to step up vs a real team to prove advancement..