Northeastern game thread.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Ok we beat a really weak team with some good stats -Moore 10/10 FTs and Kelly 3s and Rodney showing up--but still 31% from 3 overall.
This Tues we need to step up vs a real team to prove advancement..
I don’t know much about UGa but I think they’ll beat this GT team.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Sturdivant and Howard have really taken a step back this year. The sophomores have really stepped up. I really like the progress Moore has made.
In game last night, Howard had 12 points in 12 minutes playing time. I think part of his problem is not fitting the Princeton offense. Most of his scoring is junk put backs

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
In game last night, Howard had 12 points in 12 minutes playing time. I think part of his problem is not fitting the Princeton offense. Most of his scoring is junk put backs
Rodney doesn't have the athleticism to make up for his lack of shooting like Javon is able to. You need to get him the ball in the low post and let him 1v1. Or you need to run a pick-and-roll with him, however he has the brickiest hands I've seen from a GT C in a long time (granted we've had back-to-back-to-back guys grow into really good centers recently) and he's zero threat to pop off the screen and hit an 18 footer...just not in his playbook like it was w/ Moses Wright. Northeastern pretty much just hedged every screen/dribble handoff in that 2nd half when Rodney got more run.

His touch in the low post has also been awful this season. He had a clean bank shot I think miss the rim completely a few games back, but he looked more himself the other night. I'd guess the coaches are probably telling him to stop thinking so much, stop being afraid of failure, and play as instinctively as he did during ACC play last year.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how much Reveno leaving has to do with Howard’s regression

Reserve Rodney Howard scored 12 points and had seven rebounds and fellow backup Lance Terry scored 11 on 5-of-6 shooting.

I was hopeful Rodney would see continued growth in his game this year. From the ESPN recap, reserve does not call out improvement. I wonder if there has been some background issue, injury?, that has been affecting him. We need him to play well to compete in conference.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Pastner and staff have really got to modify our offensive and defensive schemes to match the strengths and skills of the players on our roster. Progress so far has been minimal and rough to watch. God, I hope we are having our normal slow start and things start to improve. The UGA game would be a great time to start playing better.

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yes, granted those are important too, but it would be nice if he was scoring through the scheme regularly.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Howard isn’t really going to be a “scheme” scorer unless you count pick and roll. You are not going to run a play for him or really even isolate him on the block. He needs to be a presence moving to the basket to force rotations but his points should be put backs, dump offs and garbage points