North Carolina Hires New DC - Geoff Collins

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well. It certainly will be interesting to see how Coach Mack Brown and the public relations department of UNC’s Athletic Office handle TFG’s attention-seeking shtick.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Just thinking out loud here. All of GC sucsess has been following Rhule. Rhule builds up a good team and leaves for a better position, GC takes credit for the team he inherits as it declines the next two years before he dips out. He may be trying to get back to a head coaching position by following Mac knowing he won't be around for more than a few more years. He can act like he is sucsessful because UNCheats offense is gennerally good.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
UNC's defense hasn't been great for a while. TPO has the biggest defensive transition in college football history ahead of him.
He will not be able to constantly work the room in press conferences explaining what a total mess he was handed and how it will take 7 years to turn around the “disaster” of UNC football. It will be a fascinating dynamic for him to be judged only by results and not his mouth.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well. It certainly will be interesting to see how Coach Mack Brown and the public relations department of UNC’s Athletic Office handle TFG’s attention-seeking shtick.
Nailed it.

The problem with sociopaths or conmen is that they are lost without their megaphone. Mack Brown, as questionable as his decision making is given this hire, will not Collins taking control of the narrative. Someone will chafe without being in the limelight.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. It will be a fascinating dynamic for him to be judged only by results and not his mouth.
Oddly enough, this could prove to be beneficial to him. (It couldn't get worse). Either way you know us GT fans will be paying close attention. It will give us a way to gauge how much of this cowboy was only hat and how much was actual cattle. We all think that we know but this experiment will shed further light.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Want to take bets?

The problem is that he has never built a program anywhere. I’m skeptical that he has finally learned how to do that.
I don't think he needs to at UNC. They always have talent, but the coaching isn't there. I think he sucks at managing a program, but he can install and call defenses.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he needs to at UNC. They always have talent, but the coaching isn't there. I think he sucks at managing a program, but he can install and call defenses.
You’ve lost me. Where did he actually build a defense? That’s what he will be asked to do at UNC.

Now, admittedly, our poor defense at Tech while he was here might be because he had other things on his mind, but I haven’t read any analyst calling him a defensive genius or suggesting he built a system.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As a DC at P5 football programs, he's only had one year where his defense WASN"T a top 20 (per DFEI) defense. That was 2012 at Miss St when it was 37th. The other years were 20, 17, 16, 15, 15, & 8.

He was terrible as the HC at GT, and his stint at Temple didn't leave their fans thrilled, although he never sank to the lows he reached at GT, but he has been by all accounts a good DC.

The real question is whether Mack Brown will let GC run the defense the way he wants to. There's enough talent there to build a good defense.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As a DC at P5 football programs, he's only had one year where his defense WASN"T a top 20 (per DFEI) defense. That was 2012 at Miss St when it was 37th. The other years were 20, 17, 16, 15, 15, & 8.

He was terrible as the HC at GT, and his stint at Temple didn't leave their fans thrilled, although he never sank to the lows he reached at GT, but he has been by all accounts a good DC.

The real question is whether Mack Brown will let GC run the defense the way he wants to. There's enough talent there to build a good defense.
Sounds like you’ve studied this. Which of his good defense were defensive programs he built, schemes he implemented, and players he recruited?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Want to take bets?

The problem is that he has never built a program anywhere. I’m skeptical that he has finally learned how to do that.

I believe even as a DC he inherited good defenses everywhere he's gone. He gets a lot of credit for Florida and Miss State, but they already had good players and defenses when he came on. Someone can research it and correct me if I'm wrong (and I very well could be...I just have zero desire to research it), but it seem Collins just had to make sure he kept the train on the tracks when he took over as conductor.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I believe even as a DC he inherited good defenses everywhere he's gone. He gets a lot of credit for Florida and Miss State, but they already had good players and defenses when he came on. Someone can research it and correct me if I'm wrong (and I very well could be...I just have zero desire to research it), but it seem Collins just had to make sure he kept the train on the tracks when he took over as conductor.
That was my impression when we hired him. A lot of us went back and checked his record with successful defenses and it seemed the best that could be said was that he didn’t totally screw up programs or players that were already good though he did have a tendency to change jobs right before declines became more obvious.

Like you, I could also be wrong and have no interest in doing the kind of detailed research that would be required to bring out the facts below the surface. They actually pay sports writers to do that.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like you’ve studied this. Which of his good defense were defensive programs he built, schemes he implemented, and players he recruited?
He’s never stayed anywhere long enough to build something. It takes 3-5 years to build a good, solid program. Even more so today with crazy transfer rules.