North Carolina Hires New DC - Geoff Collins

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I watched that interview but I have a confession to make. I am one who cannot avert my eyes from a car wreck when I drive past one on the highway.

One of my best friends and I go back 40 years. We worked together for almost 20 and spent another 10 in the same industry. We have seen a number of guys just exactly like Coach Collins over the years and have come to realize that the world seems to accept and even tolerate guys like him. Oddly enough but I think, like PT Barnum or George Carlin insinuated, it speaks to the average intelligence of the typical citizen.

Over the may years we have known each other and have seen moret han a few guys like this thrive and even prosper, we have always debated whether or not self awareness is a gift or curse. This debate has gone on so long for so long that we are equally comfortable defending either position. My take on Collins is that he truly believes the things he says. It MAY in fact be a con job but I don't think he is aware of the fact nor is it a deliberate con ala Professor Henry Hill in the Music Man. I think he has fooled himself. And, apparently, a small handful of others along the way including Stansbury and Mack Brown.

TL; Dr - this WILL be the last interview I ever watch of this guy. Just don't have the stomach for it any longer.

Did you notice he mentioned every school by name that he coached at but referenced Tech as “The last place”.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Saw him on the ACC network tonight while flipping channels. Didn’t watch long. The two hosts were very gracious to him, “glad he’s back in the ACC” and “good to see him again.” They gushed over him, he gushed back. He couldn’t say enough about Mack Brown, especially reaching out “after what happened at the last place I coached.”

He actually looked kind of relaxed and like he’s feeling good. As someone suggested, lack of self awareness may be a blessing. He’s back in business where he belongs and feeling good.

Wonder if Mack Brown will regret this one day.

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan
Saw him on the ACC network tonight while flipping channels. Didn’t watch long. The two hosts were very gracious to him, “glad he’s back in the ACC” and “good to see him again.” They gushed over him, he gushed back. He couldn’t say enough about Mack Brown, especially reaching out “after what happened at the last place I coached.”

He actually looked kind of relaxed and like he’s feeling good. As someone suggested, lack of self awareness may be a blessing. He’s back in business where he belongs and feeling good.

I can only hope!!

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Saw him on the ACC network tonight while flipping channels. Didn’t watch long. The two hosts were very gracious to him, “glad he’s back in the ACC” and “good to see him again.” They gushed over him, he gushed back. He couldn’t say enough about Mack Brown, especially reaching out “after what happened at the last place I coached.

Does he think that Tech did him wrong? It’s amazing if so cuz he’s the reason everyone in Georgia hates him. Not any other reason

slugboy

Staff member

He probably believes he got no support from the administration or the local high school coaches, his hands were tied in the first couple of seasons, COVID wrecked his plans and that wasn’t his fault, his staff was disloyal and not competent, and in spite of that he was about to turn the team around—or that he would have if the fans had supported him and the big boosters hadn’t cut him off at the knees prior to his last season.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
He probably believes he got no support from the administration or the local high school coaches, his hands were tied in the first couple of seasons, COVID wrecked his plans and that wasn’t his fault, his staff was disloyal and not competent, and in spite of that he was about to turn the team around—or that he would have if the fans had supported him and the big boosters hadn’t cut him off at the knees prior to his last season.
So many strokes of bad luck to hit at one time. All the more tragic when it’s an elite coach creating an elite program. Sigh, what could have been.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Honest question here. If the UNC gig turns out the way these things predictably go, will you, deep down in the farthest recesses of your soul, have the slightest bit of pity for him?

Obviously, with a narcissist it can go two ways with him emotionally. He can continue in his delusions, keeping his ego and arrogance intact and blaming the world for not recognizing his brilliance. Or he could have something close to a mental breakdown as reality shatters his fictional world.

Thoughts?