North Carolina Hires New DC - Geoff Collins

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
So what is a likely salary profile for TFP?

I think he likes / hates us so much that he will defer his salary at UNC till the Salary from Gt runs out. That way we are paying him while he coaches against us. His defered salary would be in the form of a garanteed long term irrevocable declining 10 year annuity.
Unc could plan for the future w no current expense. Could be rolled into a possible UNC HC hire.
I would love for TFP to be at UNC for a decade.
Did you read the thread?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There is no offset in his contract. He was written a check per my sources when he was fired. There is no claw back on anything paid to him. The incompetence of our former AD is unbelievable. I think he is the only one who bought was MofBS was selling, hook, line and sinker.
Thats exactly what i said. We are paying collins till his generous annuity kicks in unless he gets unc head coaching job.

This would be the best outcome for gt as it will be camera hog turmoil at unc for the decade when realignment occurs.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The self-styled "Minister of Mayhem" actually has a good record as DC at Florida and Mississippi State, which makes it hard for me to understand how his defense could have been so bad here.

IMO two main reasons.

The first is we were very bad defensively when he got here and weren't particularly well set up to have success.

The second, and very fitting, is that Collins seemingly was very hands off with the defense despite that being his back ground. There was an article from the spring before his last year here with quotes from both Thacker and players about how he was being much more hands on then than he had been in the past. Now why he went that route is anyone's guess.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Thats exactly what i said. We are paying collins till his generous annuity kicks in unless he gets unc head coaching job.

This would be the best outcome for gt as it will be camera hog turmoil at unc for the decade when realignment occurs.

I think you misunderstood. We wrote him an ~$11 million (I think) check the day we fired him. There is no annual payment. No offset. That money is in the bank and it doesn't impact what he is paid by UNC in any way. That money is over and above what we already paid him and we owe him nothing beyond what we paid him on the day we fired him.

slugboy

Staff member

I think y’all are talking past each other

Sure, Collins can afford to volunteer his coaching services for the rest of his life. GT wrote one big check and he’s already been paid. If he has someone with an ounce of financial sense helping him, he’s financially set for life.

There’s no reason I know of for him to defer a penny. He could, but I don’t see why he would. He’s not like Shohei Ohtani for the Dodgers—deferring a few millions a year doesn’t do anything for UNC. Or, for him.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
They’ve been reliably getting top 30 rated recruiting classes with Mack Brown, often in the top 15, occasionally with a 5*. On paper, they should crush us.
Fortunately, we don’t play on paper
But they've always had talent. I lived in North Carolina one year. Went to every UNC home game. They had Julius Peppers at defensive end. About five or six guys on that D wound up in the NFL. A couple of the offensive guys wound up in the league too. And they stunk. They lost at home to Furman that year and it wasn't close.
Talent ain't ever been the issue at UNC.

slugboy

Staff member
How and why that contract got through legal revue by either school or GTAA counsel is nothing short of malpractice.
It was on purpose. The contract did exactly what it was designed to do—make Collins hard to fire. Legal review won’t help with that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It was on purpose. The contract did exactly what it was designed to do—make Collins hard to fire. Legal review won’t help with that.

It ended up doing the opposite in the end. In fact, it was a factor in ushering Stansbury through the exit door with Collins.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
How and why that contract got through legal revue by either school or GTAA counsel is nothing short of malpractice.

It ended up doing the opposite in the end. In fact, it was a factor in ushering Stansbury through the exit door with Collins.

This contract was about 14 years after the Hewitt contract, which was an automatic renewal every year with no opt out, only a buyout of the entire contract amount. We must have the worst lawyers and staff in the country. This contract and the hire are what got Stansbury fired, along with his fiscal mismanagement (needed a loan to pay off Oregon State buyout) and lack of public speaking skills.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This contract was about 14 years after the Hewitt contract, which was an automatic renewal every year with no opt out, only a buyout of the entire contract amount. We must have the worst lawyers and staff in the country. This contract and the hire are what got Stansbury fired, along with his fiscal mismanagement (needed a loan to pay off Oregon State buyout) and lack of public speaking skills.

Yeah, I've noted our business mistakes over the past few decades in an old thread. Beating a dead horse ceases being fun when GT fans are the ones that have to suffer. GT has been its own worst enemy for a while.

There's a reason Cabrera cleaned house and wouldn't let any existing GTAA employee in on the process to hire the new AD. He actually let a guy who had no athletic department experience run point on the hire....that's how little faith Cabrera had in the GTAA.

I think when we look back on things in the next 5-10 years, GT fans will probably want to build a statue for Cabrera in front of the athletic department for the changes he's implemented.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
This contract was about 14 years after the Hewitt contract, which was an automatic renewal every year with no opt out, only a buyout of the entire contract amount. We must have the worst lawyers and staff in the country. This contract and the hire are what got Stansbury fired, along with his fiscal amismanagement (needed a loan to pay off Oregon State buyout) and lack of public speaking skills.
We had zero leverage with TFG. There were not many coaches who would take the job of following a hall of fame coach with a roster ill fitted to run any offense except the flex option at the pay we were offering. It was going to take four years to transition the roster. I do not think seven years was a bad decision. The bad decision was hiring the MofBS.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I mean wtf, are we using uga lawyers or what?