North Carolina Hires New DC - Geoff Collins

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Trying to find out from my source who was helping Mack with this hire, i.e. what search firm. The guy I know would NEVER recommend Collins. He basically gave me the detail of how the 2022 season would go and that Stansbury would go with Collins as the same time. The only thing I can think is that we beat UNC twice with Drake Maye at QB and Mack was somehow impressed with our D in those games and he went about hiring who he wanted on his own with no search firm help?? Nothing else makes any sense. I don't care how good of a DC he is, the stench on him is still stinking at this point. I can't imagine the UNC fans are happy about this. From Chizzick to Collins?? Two very poorly performing head coaches who were good to very good DCs, but Collins is a laughingstock in college football. Shocked by this. Truly shocked. I wonder how long his contract is for? 5 years? 6 years? Maybe he and Stansbury can have a nice lunch date and laugh at the havoc they caused to Georgia Tech. #MofBS :ROFLMAO:

So, no search firms on these types of hires. Purely on the HC, with help as needed.

UNC fans are going to run Mack out of Chapel Hill.....

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Mostly I thought TS got a raw deal. But no offset in the contract is a huge mistake.

The minute Stansbury hired MofBS to a 7 year deal with a high buyout, he was on the clock. Horrible deal. Football is the money maker. You can screw up the cross county hire, but if you screw up the football hire this bad, you're toast.

slugboy

Staff member
Just because you suck as a Head Coach dose not mean you can't be a good coordinator. There are literally hundreds of examples of that in college and the pros.
Agree in general, and he might turn out great.

I do think that his lack of accountability and ownership since leaving is a warning flag. You don’t learn when you’re overlooki Your mistakes, and you fall behind if you don’t learn.

Edit: the one game he’ll probably be disciplined in game prep is ours, though

On the other hand

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Agree in general, and he might turn out great.

I do think that his lack of accountability and ownership since leaving is a warning flag. You don’t learn when you’re overlooki Your mistakes, and you fall behind if you don’t learn.

On the other hand

UNC's defense has been really bad similarly to GT's defense so it will be interesting. They have more "on paper" talent of defense than we do.

slugboy

Staff member
UNC's defense has been really bad similarly to GT's defense so it will be interesting. They have more "on paper" talent of defense than we do.
They’ve been reliably getting top 30 rated recruiting classes with Mack Brown, often in the top 15, occasionally with a 5*. On paper, they should crush us.
Fortunately, we don’t play on paper

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Just because you suck as a Head Coach dose not mean you can't be a good coordinator. There are literally hundreds of examples of that in college and the pros.
The self-styled "Minister of Mayhem" actually has a good record as DC at Florida and Mississippi State, which makes it hard for me to understand how his defense could have been so bad here.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The self-styled "Minister of Mayhem" actually has a good record as DC at Florida and Mississippi State, which makes it hard for me to understand how his defense could have been so bad here.
What I’ve heard is that until he got to Tech he had a habit of taking jobs that good coaches had left and riding the coattails of his predecessors to give the impression that he was good at his job. It makes sense. Look at his predecessors at those jobs: Manny Diaz at Mississippi State (and except for his last year there, he was working with Manny’s co-DC, allowing for easy continuity) and Muschamp/Durkin at Florida. Even at Temple he got to follow Matt Rhule, who was the most successful coach in school history.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Would love this! Buster already has a few option concepts built in, but with a little CPJ mentorship, we could beat the brakes of the tarholes.

Honeslty we are doing a lot of CPJ style line concepts on our power runs and such. (they are also just known as line concepts but the MoBS didn't let key teach them because you know might be linked to CPJ) I feel he is already responsible a bit for how our run game changed after UNC this year anyway.